cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topping off small LP tanks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My local LP filling place charges a "flat rate" to refill a 20# bottle. Is this common ? (Their price IS reasonable.)

Do any of you try to "transfer" LP between small (5#-30#) tanks using the hot tank/cold tank method ?
29 REPLIES 29

DC8Captain
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small propane tank that I use for an outside stove and BBQ. My local U-Haul dealer refills by the volume filled, not by a flat fee. I don't have any idea if that is the same for all U-Hauls or just my local one.
Deb & Dale
2016 JayFlight 27BHS
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab
Colorado

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
With my current rig, I just exchange the cylinders, because a lot of propane places want a 250 gallon minimum contract before they will lift a finger, and stores like U-Haul tend to not have someone who is both trained on staff.

Once I move to a motorhome with a permanent tank that I can park in the driveway, I plan to pay for a delivery contract, just so that come the weekend, I'm assured the tank is topped off.

We rarely use 13 gallons of propane a year. We have a 56 lb tank (roughly 13 gallons) on our motor home. It gets filled every April at the Flying J. We spend 4 months of the year living in our MH at a seasonal camp site. In 1 year, we have never had the propane tank completely empty.

It would take us almost 20 years to fulfill a 250 gallon minimum propane contract. Find a Flying J near you. I've never see one that didn't refill propane.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
With my current rig, I just exchange the cylinders, because a lot of propane places want a 250 gallon minimum contract before they will lift a finger, and stores like U-Haul tend to not have someone who is both trained on staff.

Once I move to a motorhome with a permanent tank that I can park in the driveway, I plan to pay for a delivery contract, just so that come the weekend, I'm assured the tank is topped off.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
We have found it is cheaper to just exchange when we are camping seasonally.

You should kow that all exchange tanks are purposely UNDER FILLED, not for safety, but strictly to increase profits !!!

I sure do. Says so right on the side of the exchange cage. Our seasonal campground charges $25 to fill a 20 lb tank to 20 lbs. The gas station about 5 minutes away charges $23 to fill a 20 lb tank tp 20 lbs. The farmers market that's 2 minutes away charges $16 for a 20 lb exchange which gets me 15 lbs of propane.

Refilling at the gas station costs $1.15/lb, refilling at the campground costs $1.25/lb. Exchanging at the farmers market costs $1.06/lb. I'll take the exchange and buy some fresh fruit or veggies with the savings.

-Michael
Michael Girardo

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, there is underfilled, and then there is underfilled. The exchange tanks used to have about 18 lbs. of propane, but just a couple of years ago they started putting only 15 lbs. of propane in them but charging the same amount. That, to me, is an underfilled tank.

My point exactly.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Before we got out of the propane fill business completely, we went to a $10.00 minimum. Otherwise, we would have someone wanting to top off their tank on the coldest, wettest day of the year. Of course it would be a class C or VW campervan where getting to the fill required crawling on the ground and contorting our bodies in ways the human body should not contort. Then we would find that the rig took exactly 2/5th of a gallon. Just wasn't worth the effort for eighty cents. Hence $10 or no gas for you.
Even with that, it didn't take long for us to decide it just wasn't worth the pain and effort to dispense propane at all. Haven't regretted that decision for one second.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Exchange tanks , by law , must be under-filled , look it up .

Cylinders (and, for that matter, permanent propane tanks) may only be filled to 80% liquid capacity, per law, to allow for head space so the liquid propane can expand with temperature changes. A 20 pound cylinder is designed such that, when filled 80% full, it holds about 20 pounds of LPG (the exact amount depending on the ambient temperature, etc.). In other words, the size of the cylinder already takes this required underfilling into account.

I could not locate any laws that require cylinder exchange places to fill less than this standard. Filling them with only fifteen pounds is simply their way of cutting their propane expenses by a quarter.

Around here, most if not all places charge a flat rate for 20 pound cylinder refills, but of course charge by volume for fixed motorhome tanks if they are willing to fill them. I think whether 20 pound tanks are charged a flat rate or by volume/pound is more a regional custom than anything.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
For many years living on a sailboat in the Carib. we would transfer LPG from tank to tank by hoisting the full tank up in a tree , upside down and let the liquid flow into empty tank .
Well, there is underfilled, and then there is underfilled. The exchange tanks used to have about 18 lbs. of propane, but just a couple of years ago they started putting only 15 lbs. of propane in them but charging the same amount. That, to me, is an underfilled tank. Legality has nothing to do with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Both the local places I've used vent the tanks empty before refilling. Refills are flat rate based on tank size.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
corvettekent wrote:
The last 4 mouths we have been traveling the south west and have paid anywhere from $1.99 to $3.75 per gallon but not once have I paid a flat rate.

I have tried filling the small disposable tanks by putting them in the frezzer the day before but they never seemed like they got full.

Disposables will fill well if you do the freezer/sun trick AND turn the big bottle upside down.
I've always presumed the pressures are compatible since someone actually sells an adapter, but I usually stand out of the way once I open the valve! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years living on a sailboat in the Carib. we would transfer LPG from tank to tank by hoisting the full tank up in a tree , upside down and let the liquid flow into empty tank .

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, all propane stations charge by the gallon. I haven't filled my cylinders for quite a while, so I don't know what the going rate is now. Some RV dealers have advertised specials at $.99 per gallon.
But, this time I need to go to the distributor to get one of the cylinders re-certified.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
We have found it is cheaper to just exchange when we are camping seasonally.

You should kow that all exchange tanks are purposely UNDER FILLED, not for safety, but strictly to increase profits !!!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
My local LP filling place charges a "flat rate" to refill a 20# bottle. Is this common ? (Their price IS reasonable.)

Do any of you try to "transfer" LP between small (5#-30#) tanks using the hot tank/cold tank method ?

At home, the filling stations we use charge by the gallon for filling the motorhome tank and the 20lb BBQ cylinder. Where we camp seasonally, all the places we've tried to get refilled charge a flat rate. We have found it is cheaper to just exchange when we are camping seasonally.

-Michael
Michael Girardo