Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

belt chirp/squeak

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II

2018 GMC 2500 hd 6.0 60K miles

Couple months ago, started getting intermittent chirp from belt/pulleys.  Seemed worse in wet weather. Tried trouble shooting. Sprayed water on the serpentine belt and it would stop the chirp temporarily. Figured a new belt would fix it. It did fix it for a few weeks, then it came back.  Sprayed water on the new belt again and it would temporarily stop the chirp again for a few seconds. I did a little more investigating and figured I would change the tensioner and idler pulley. Changed both of those and the stretch fit air conditioning belt (which was not fun) but that didn't stop it.  Tried another new belt, different brand this time, and the squeaking stopped again...for about only 3 weeks and now it's back. Spray a little water on the belt, and it momentarily stops the squeal. I can't determine exactly where it's coming from, if it's a pulley or what? If its a pulley, why does it stop when I spray a little water on the belt? I did remove the belt and just grabbed all the pulleys and spun them and they all seem to sound good and don't have any play in them.  Any ideas?

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED
4 REPLIES 4

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad

When I replace a noisy belt, I like to spray off the pulleys with brake clean in case somebody has tried to cure the noise with some type of lubricant

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

If it was mine I would pull the belts and run some 600 grit paper through all the pulleys to knock down any glazing. Since it was squeaking I would also put a new belt on after the sanding.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

Might be hard to see, but are all pulleys aligned?

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad

Had a similar chirping happen on our Chevy Vortec 8.1. Cause was diagnosed as the idler pulley which was replaced, problem solved. 8 months later, started chirping again, squealing louder when it rained. This time it turned out that the alternator was the cause. Replaced and all is good now. 

2010 Suncruiser