cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving suspension on 2010 Expedition

mjmeyers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to reduce the effect of side winds and passing semis when I tow my 26' TT with my 2010 Ford Expedition EL. I am using a Equalizer WDH, but don't have the auto-leveling feature in my Expedition, so even with correction as much as possible with the WDH, I still feel like my rear drops a smidge too much. I have 135k miles on the Expedition, so I am thinking that perhaps it is time to replace/upgrade the rear suspension. The vehicle has the shock/coil combination and there are no aftermarket air suspension addons that I can use. I'm leaning towards replacing with Monroe Quick-Strut 171139. Anyone have any experience with these? Or, are there better options out there for towing?

Thanks!
Marv
12 REPLIES 12

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Finally some miles underneath the IRS system and have been watching/waiting for this type of topic/response

The OP has a 3rd gen Expedition. FYI, 1st gen had a live axle with multi control links...2nd gen had IRS with control links...3rd gen has IRS and a 5th control link added

Always wonder hos the precision bushings would last and if the Ford Engineers sized them for towing heavy, or just for 'car' like usage. Time would tell...

Also knew the Ford Engineers addressed the towing heavy forces on the main control arm by angling that main control arm. Not the typical square to the direction of travel like cars do for their IRS

Again, that still has heavy towing forces on those precision bushings...even with that angled main control arm...time will tell how they last towing heavy (add hauling heavy too)

The need for precision bushings vs 1st gen live axle is because on all IRS vs live axle...has the tires ability to in different directions (even small angles) on a worn bushing IRS vs rigid live axle that CAN NOT go in different directions (angle is set by welded metal)

So is the looseness the OP mentions from worn bushings?

ON the rear Anti-Lean bar (better name than anti-sway on a towing form where it gets mixed up with the WD Hitch system anti-sway bar)...hope you folks understand how they work and how torsional rigidity of the platform in reference to handling at the extreme behaves

Hope you folks understood to change out the front anti-lean bar to match the OEM engineers who dialed in under-steer.

If didn't change out the front anti-lean bar to match...you might created a higher rigidity on the rear axle...whereby it will load up the outside radius tire more than before

That then creates a snap transition to over-steering and with a trailer in tow...a higher jack knife potential
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
They (coil spring suspensions) all have a lot of rubber in the control arms. All of this rubber adds up to a lot of flex and rock and roll. It's not just a Ford problem either.
A happy medium for me is urethane bushings, LT tires, a great set of nitrogen shocks and a good anti sway bar ...

WOW ! This says it all !

I would start with a bigger anti sway bar and GOOD shocks (anyone care to recommend a brand for an Expedition ?) , because these are easy to do. You definitely want LT tires for your next set. The bushing would be last, just because of time and effort.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mjmeyers wrote:
I'm looking to reduce the effect of side winds and passing semis when I tow my 26' TT with my 2010 Ford Expedition EL.

If the effect you are trying to minimize is the tendency to push you "off line" so that you have to correct the steering.......there probably ain't much you can do about that, if anything.

Now.....with your mileage, some suspension work is likely needed starting with shocks but you can spend a TON of money and not really fix the problem of a high profile vehicle being pushed around in the wind.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
mjmeyers wrote:
vjstangelo wrote:
My 2005 Excursion without the factory tow package did not come with a rear stabilizer bar! I purchased and installed a Hellwig. This mproved the handling tremendously and would be my 1st fix, provided you do not haveven a rear sway bar.

My Expedition does have a rear anti sway bar, but some on the expedition forum have suggested upgrading to the Hellwig. How much that will improve things over factory? I find it ironic that it also has electronic anti-sway, but I've never had enough sway to trigger it coming on!

I don't have an Expy but I do have an equivalent Yukon XL Denali. I recently replaced the oem RSB with a Hellwig. The rear end tighten up quite a bit in turns. Haven't towed with it yet but the truck feels so much better at highway speeds. Can't wait to tow my Bullet TT with it soon.

mjmeyers
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I have dealt with a lot of coil cars over the years in the racing game and they are all the same; they all suck from the factory and here is why.

They all have a lot of rubber in the control arms. All of this rubber adds up to a lot of flex and rock and roll. It's not just a Ford problem either. Ever hear of the G body shuffle?

We used to replace all of the control arm rubber parts with metal parts and that would pretty much solve the side to side handling problems you get with coil vehicles. The only problem is this is on a race car not a tow rig. Doing this to a tow rig would ruin the ride.

Good ride and great handling are at opposite ends of the ruler. How far do you want to go?

Maybe a happy medium will work for you? Maybe not?

A happy medium for me is urethane bushings, LT tires, a great set of nitrogen shocks and a good anti sway bar and maybe even a panhard bar.

Exactly. Expeditions are designed for the DW's comfort transporting kids. I've got 4 kids, so SUVs fit the bill for my family's needs with towing. Once a few grow up and move out, I'll switch out to a truck and 5th wheel. Until then, this is what I've got. I'd like to stiffen it up a bit. Happy medium sounds good. I already have LT tires (Michelin LTX m/s2). Any recommendations on the shocks? These are the kind that have the coils integrated.

mjmeyers
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
My 2005 Excursion without the factory tow package did not come with a rear stabilizer bar! I purchased and installed a Hellwig. This mproved the handling tremendously and would be my 1st fix, provided you do not haveven a rear sway bar.

My Expedition does have a rear anti sway bar, but some on the expedition forum have suggested upgrading to the Hellwig. How much that will improve things over factory? I find it ironic that it also has electronic anti-sway, but I've never had enough sway to trigger it coming on!

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I have dealt with a lot of coil cars over the years in the racing game and they are all the same; they all suck from the factory and here is why.

They all have a lot of rubber in the control arms. All of this rubber adds up to a lot of flex and rock and roll. It's not just a Ford problem either. Ever hear of the G body shuffle?

We used to replace all of the control arm rubber parts with metal parts and that would pretty much solve the side to side handling problems you get with coil vehicles. The only problem is this is on a race car not a tow rig. Doing this to a tow rig would ruin the ride.

Good ride and great handling are at opposite ends of the ruler. How far do you want to go?

Maybe a happy medium will work for you? Maybe not?

A happy medium for me is urethane bushings, LT tires, a great set of nitrogen shocks and a good anti sway bar and maybe even a panhard bar.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mjmeyers
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I think I'd try Coil Sumosprings first. https://www.supersprings.com/products/coil-sumosprings/ Just over $100 a set.

Thanks for the suggestion, that seems like a good inexpensive option to try out first.

mjmeyers
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Possibly it's just me but didnt Ford have a bunch of automotive engineers design your Ford's suspension and you are going to change/update those decisions based on....? In the words of John Wayne..."that's courage."

I was basing it on the possibility that the rear suspension could be worn out (which may or may not be true). I've towed this TT to the east coast twice and once out to Yellowstone and a bunch of other places in the midwest. I have 135,000 miles on the TV. Maybe replacing the shocks with new OEM would be optimal for comfort but perhaps not necessarily optimal for towing.

The monroe shock I referenced is what my local mechanic said that they would use when I asked him for my options (which were very limited). There are other brands out there, but I have had trouble finding much information on what would be best for dealing with towing. That is why I am asking for advice from this RV towing forum rather than a more generalist Ford truck forum.

I am looking to make towing our TT as safe an experience as possible for my family. Thanks!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I'd try Coil Sumosprings first. https://www.supersprings.com/products/coil-sumosprings/ Just over $100 a set.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly it's just me but didnt Ford have a bunch of automotive engineers design your Ford's suspension and you are going to change/update those decisions based on....? In the words of John Wayne..."that's courage."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad