Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How do you get used to such a small bed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> How do you get used to such a small bed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/16 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first time we took our Cruiser out, we had the "close to queen" configuration - 72" x 72" platform. We both had trouble getting out of bed to pee during the middle of the night! Since then, we have used the "two small twins" configuration. At home, we sleep in a king water bed. The first night camping, I usually don't sleep very well. After that, I don't seem to have a problem. Our longest stay in it is 4 nights, though.

1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

mkguitar

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/16 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

interesting that for some bed size is not the main consideration and they are happy with beds 48 or 50" wide.

not us, bed size was prime.

the largest bestest bed we could find is in our chevy based pleasure way lexor TD, it is 72" wide and 73" long on pass side, 75" long on drivers side.
both of us are tall and we have a dog- so the bed space gets used.
we sleep fore and aft,
we rented a sideways sleeper in ireland and I hated the late night climb over to use the head- it wakes everyone up.

seems for some the size of the bath is prime and for that they sacrifice bed space

Mike

* This post was edited 12/01/16 11:39pm by mkguitar *

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/16 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it depends on where you are in the relationship. When we were first married and in youthful trim, two of us in a twin was nice and cosy, and going to a double we seldom used more than half the bed. About 30 years in, we expanded to queen to have a little more sleep space for larger bodies. When an overseas move put us into a king it was "are you trying to get away from me?" But my sister and her husband totaled over 500 pounds and a king was cozy.

B designs tend to offer "twin" beds that are really more cot size, or shared beds that are larger than queen but not quite king, at the rear of the RV. Anything foldout in other locations is going to be smaller.

Given the compromises of fitting a house into a van, you have to work out what is most important to you. Across all manufacturer's offerings, most of the different compromises are available. You can also go to someone like Sportsmobile and build custom, if you can sort out your own priorities.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

BurmaShave

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brings to mind the funniest scene in any movie, John Candy and Steve Martin waking up in the AM (Movie 'Trains Planes and Automobiles')

Stefonius

Levittown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurmaShave wrote:

Brings to mind the funniest scene in any movie, John Candy and Steve Martin waking up in the AM (Movie 'Trains Planes and Automobiles')
"Where's your other hand?"
"Between two pillows"
"Those aren't pillows!"

sprintee

Ashford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2004 Sportsmobile Sprinter 2500 is 22 feet long and has a King size bed.

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/17 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Class B, Xplorer 230XL, has a permanent bed in the back with a rock hard mattress. It is tight for 2, but workable. My girlfriend & I split 10 years ago & I've been solo since & it's good for me. Wish I had the tight problem though, lol. I also have a bad back, surgery in 1990. I first put 2-3" thick eggshell foam on top and that helped. 4 or 5 years ago I added 2" of memory foam on top of the eggshell and that is great, very comfortable. It would be a pain to have to tear it down every morning though.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That small bed is why I own a Roadtrek. My wife always said when I died she was going to get a RT to travel in. She went first and my cleaning lady had just gotten the RT from Louisville, KY, We all live in the same condos and they asked me where I stored mine. They went out for their first weekend and came home after one night. The bed is 5'11" and he is 6'3". I saw the ad in Craiglist and bought it.

1975 GMC Eleganza II & 1995 Roadtrek Versatile. Both old enough to vote and drink (gas)

Heapie

Hingham, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Folks,
This sleeping problem is a problem with my wife and me. We started sleeping in a crosswise double bed and I would have to step over my wife in the middle of the night. It didn't work. I then went to the small cot by putting the back seat and the front seat together (we have a Roadtrek 190 Versitile.). Uncomfortable with my feet hanging over. I tried a L. L. Bean air mattress. One night I slipped off it breaking the seat belt. I am now trying to come up with a more sturdy arrangement without cluttering up the RV. What we need is a 190 Popular.

Heapie

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I already posted. Who dredged this one up out of the archives?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> How do you get used to such a small bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS