cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading From Drive in Theatre Window Speaker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Now, thanks to you folks I have a decent laptop/Viewsonic/speaker system.

Now it's time to do my Beethoven, Mozart, Pink Floyd reproductions.

I am going to choose a balanced system of my choice of speakers. I have settled on a powered 10" Polk subwoofer (120vac).

And two mid and high horn speakers. And if needed a single 4" reflex Sony speaker.

Well, the Bluetooth, USB FM yadda receiver (A Kinter or Lepai) does not seem to have pre-amplifier output jacks. Only speaker direct spring loaded prongees. Because these Kinter Lepai units have 2 watts output that's high enough to burn out those horns and make dogs howl.

The Polk speaker specs are beyond my pay grade: Here they are

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Specifications

- Height: 14.375" (36.51 cm).

- Width: 14" (35.56 cm).

- Depth: 16.125" (40.96 cm).

- Weight: 26 lbs (11.79 kg).

- Audio Quality:

1. Lower and Upper -3dB Limits, 40 Hz ? 160 kHz.

- Inputs:

1. Audio Inputs: Stereo Line Level - (2) RCA, Pair (L/R) Analog RCA.

2. Speaker Inputs: (2) Pair of Spring Terminals.

- Outputs:

1. Audio Outputs.

2. Speaker Outputs.

3. (2) Pair of Spring Terminals

Does this mean what I think it does?

Run speaker leads from the speaker terminals in the back of the Kinter, Lepai, receivers? Then run branch leads to each of the gorns and a third to the Sony 4" speaker box if needed? No pre-amp? Just run wires, plug in the satellite speakers and jump into the recliner?

Hint: My last real stereo system was a tube type 1960's MacIntosh, separate tuner, pre-amp, tube amp, and Klipsch Corner Horn speakers. Yup a turntable in another room because of feedback. This critter had lots of connection points. And a 16 band equalizer.

Thank you for your help.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I raise my eyebrows at speaker systems that try and fake music reproduction with cone midrange speakers. Not even the fabled Acoustic Research AR4 12" speakers were worth a **** on the midrange. Two standouts were, of course, the Klipsch and the Altec Lansing Voice Of The Theater speakers. Both used horns.

Here is my "secret"...

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-pz1025-2-x-6-piezo-horn-mid-tweeter-similar-to-ksn1025--292-444

This is the most "forgiving" horn I have ever encountered. It's incredible. It does not need a cross-over!!! Mid-range as well as way up to dog howling frequencies.

It "Bites!" Violins sear, horns are sharp, and voice reproduction is unparalleled. I last installed these for a friend who thought he had the cass ats in stereo systems. When he heard the Fleetwood Mac cut with the mandolins his jaw dropped to the floor.

Check out the price of these puppies!

Mylar, Neodymium, Titanium, ribbons my arse...I want my music to sound realistic not spend a fortune on Space Shuttle impressive components that sound like ----

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The best PA I have ever heard used Klipsch PA speakers. It was a Dizzy Gillespie concert, and it just sounded like the band, but louder.
-- Chris Bryant

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I gave up the stick and brick in the states I sold the system. For the life of me I have never heard anything since to compare with it. But now my hearing is bad which is probably good for my audio budget. Mr. Klipsch himself sold the speakers to me at a S.F. demo show at the Cow Palace. I had to purchase a commercial vacuum tube checker because there were so many tubes. In the summer months my living room got too hot with the heat emitted. I loved the speaker control knobs on the right side of the cabinets. But I remember the sting of the price of records and the runaround associated with diamond cartridge needle care and cotton gloves handling the records.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The amps I use have a sub-woofer output jack. That's all I know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get a Blue Tooth reciever with low level outputs, like this one-https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7364.

I like your old system- always wanted a room that could support corner horns. I still have a MaCintosh C22 preamp (tube)and Mc2100 amp (solid state), driving 1970's Infinity Quantum 5 speakers.
-- Chris Bryant

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
The speaker level spring terminals on the polk sub are essentially a pass through with a tap to receive the signal. The polk will contribute an insignificant load to the amplifier. The speaker level output passes what is coming in to the input side, it does not high pass the signal at the crossover frequency, so whatever you hook to the polk will still be run full range.

So yes, you can run speaker wire from the amplifier to the polk, and from the polk to the horns. Just be careful how you configure the horns in series or parallel, and if you add the sony into the mix. Those little amplifiers don't make a lot of current, so if you go much below 8ohms it will just activate the protection circuit. You might get away with 6ohms, 4ohms is not likely. You can always add a resister to the circuit if necessary at the wattage you are dealing with.

Another option is to get a line level converter, it takes the speaker level as input changes it to line level RCA output, then you can use an amplifier of your choice. They are about $10.

Just a side note 2W may be enough for the horns, but it doesn't allow for really any dynamic headroom, you may end up with clipping and find music to sound a bit flat without more reserve.

BTW, I would LOVE to have something like your previous system!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And the next response will be

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION

(sigh)

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer