cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cedar Creek gray water tanks

benie
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition 36CK2. After a couple outings I discovered that the shower and kitchen sinks drain into 1 gray tank and the bathroom sink and washer,which we don't have, drain into the other gray tank. Needless to say, the kitchen sink/shower tank fills quickly and the other tank (bathroom sinks) has hardly anything in it. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so, how did you correct it?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500Crew Cab 4x42004 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3670 RL
13 REPLIES 13

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my second trailer with a twist on valve. Should be standard equipment. Not only can you equalize the tanks with it but you can eliminate the poop shower when you take off the camp to dump that's always waiting there from residual drainage into the plumbing. I don't use anything additional to hold mine on. No glue no extra support, nothing. Hasn't moved in thousands of miles.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue I bought that same valve and open both grey tanks so the fill together.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Waste tanks have roof top vents....no pressure build up unless vents are blocked

Have done the extra valve on past 3 trailers for over 15 yrs.

I have not had any issues.
I have not had any backup problems
AND I don't even pay any attention to the tank level monitors.

I do know/understand how my waste tanks function/are plumbed and how long I can go before needing to dump.

'old adage'
When toilet burps...time to dump
When sink/shower start to drain slower....time to dump
When water pump goes burrrrup...need more water

YMMV......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you know where (height) the various tanks are located? Most dropped frame units have a black and a grey in the dropped area and the third (or more) grey is located in the upper frame area. If you use a Valtera gate valve to equalize the upper and lower grey you might be asking for trouble. Simple physics say liquid will flow to the lowest point (the grey tank in the dropped frame area) until it is completely filled, then it will back up into the upper grey tank. Which is fine in concept. But in reality the pressure of a full tank plus the pressure from the upper tank is likely to pop the top on the low bid tank used by many manufacturers.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a Valterra 3" dump valve assembly (flanges/valve)

I have a 4' horizontal run that makes a 90* to exit so I cut the drain pipe close to 90* elbow and glued in the new valve assembly.

Added a extra brace using 'plumbers tape'---metal strap with holes.
Wrapped it around pipe with rubber strip and then bolted to underside using self taping screws.

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I have three tanks...black, grey and galley
Black and grey are good size ----galley is 28 gal

All three drain into a common drain header so I permanently installed another drain valve in that common header.
With it closed I can open grey/galley drain valves and increase my grey waste capacity.
I can open all three tank drains valves ----black, grey & galley and really increase my waste water capacity

And after dumping black tank I can close the 'extra' valve.then open grey/galley and backflush soapy grey into black tank then dump

Plus with the extra valve I get no surprises when I remove drain line end cap unless extra valve is leaking.

Did the permanent install because I didn't want the extra weight of the twist on valve hanging on end of drain pipe while traveling OR having to install/remove/store when I want to use it.

VERY good advice. I may have to see about doing that. I have 3 tanks as well- with 3 valves.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

benie
Explorer
Explorer
I like your reply and explanation Old-buscuit. I have a twist on valve.will try that first. If that works out will try attaching a permanent valve.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have three tanks...black, grey and galley
Black and grey are good size ----galley is 28 gal

All three drain into a common drain header so I permanently installed another drain valve in that common header.
With it closed I can open grey/galley drain valves and increase my grey waste capacity.
I can open all three tank drains valves ----black, grey & galley and really increase my waste water capacity

And after dumping black tank I can close the 'extra' valve.then open grey/galley and backflush soapy grey into black tank then dump

Plus with the extra valve I get no surprises when I remove drain line end cap unless extra valve is leaking.

Did the permanent install because I didn't want the extra weight of the twist on valve hanging on end of drain pipe while traveling OR having to install/remove/store when I want to use it.

benie
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'll try the twist on valve method. Hopefully the tanks will equalize.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard of some people installing a twist on valve where the cap is, and then opening both gray tanks to combine them. Just be sure to close them before you dump the black water, and then use them to flush the black water out of the hose.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Short of reworking all of the drain plumbing (which has been done), learn better water management techniques like navy showers dumping dishwater outside, etc. when not connected to a FHU site.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

benie
Explorer
Explorer
Our state parks are electric only, so can't leave the valve open.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the gray water valve open.
al