cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arkansas: Get RV delivered in September or Early spring??

tnedator
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first RV. We've just about decided on a Thor Vegas, but also one Forest River might be an option, but hope to decide in the next week or so. I plan to order one from a local dealer, and want a 2018, so it looks like I wouldn't get it until mid to late September.

We will be using it mostly for weekend/long weekend trips at state parks, places like Branson, etc.

So, what I don't know if it's a mistake to take delivery in late September with cold weather only a month or two away. I'm not sure how much past October we can go in Arkansas without winterizing, and am I then just blowing off 5 months of warranty?

Or, is Arkansas mild enough to use much of the winter (I imagine it would take multiple winterize/dewinterize cycles through the winter)?

Or, do I look at the time before cold weather as the time to do shake downs and then deal with the dealer for fixing likely new RV issues over the winter months.

We aren't retired, hence the reason it will only be weekend/long weekend trips with the occasional week long trip thrown in now and again.
8 REPLIES 8

tnedator
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
With it being your first RV and it's being delivered, when and where will you be doing the PDI?
You better make sure everything works before you accept it.

Not being delivered directly to me. I'll be picking it up at the dealer. I meant delivered to the dealer in September, and I'm about 1:15 from the dealer.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
With it being your first RV and it's being delivered, when and where will you be doing the PDI?
You better make sure everything works before you accept it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
I've seen Arkansas have great fall weather into November. Time to work the bugs out and get warranty work done before spring.
Buy it. Use it. You have no guarantees.
Would agree with you, Arkansas has some beautiful parks and lakes and usually nice weather until late in the year. Added bonus is usually less crowded as well.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen Arkansas have great fall weather into November. Time to work the bugs out and get warranty work done before spring.
Buy it. Use it. You have no guarantees.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only advantage I can see, if you buy it early in the camping season, you can accumulate a list of the minor warranty needed and have it done at the end of the season, ready to go for the next season.

The other side of the coin is (and I believe this would be a very rare occurrence), if you buy late in the season, when you only have one or two camping trips left before camping season ends, if you have a major issue, you don't lose a bunch of camping trips waiting for it to get fixed.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let it sit all winter. Take a trip to the Gulf Coast. If you read the forum you will see a lot of new trailers have issues and have to go back to the dealer for repairs. By taking delivery and finding any problems before spring when RV dealerships are very busy.

tnedator
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I think I would wait until spring. No use to let it sit over winter without being able to use it.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well. On the other hand, I wondered if it's a good time to learn how to drive (again, my first one), possibly drive it up to HWH to have leveling jacks installed, etc.

But, i'm afraid it will mostly sit all winter.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would wait until spring. No use to let it sit over winter without being able to use it.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog