cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Tank Keeps Filling

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank on our 2017 Jayco HT 28.5rsts fills automatically whenever we're connected to city water. I'm sure there's a valve somewhere we need to turn to block the water from filling that tank. Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about your Bighorn, but Grand Design did away with the Anderson valve in 2016 due to the high number of warranty complaints on just the exact issue you had in your rig. From what I've read, the Nautilus panel which GD replaced the Anderson with is much more robust. But the plumbing behind the panel is still very complicated.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen Valve on my bighorn went out on me when we were dry camping last week. It was bypassing between the pressure and tank side of the valve so the pump would try to fill the tank when I was in Normal mode. Had to run to a hardware store and get a couple fittings, caps, and chunk of line to bypass the valve so the pump pulled direct from the tank. On the plus side, even though I'm out of warranty now the customer support at Andersen was great and they sent me out a new cartridge to repair it with, no charge, with an assurance the new part is much more reliable and I didn't need to purchase a backup valve just in case. Can't speak to the reliability of the new part yet, but the company has very friendly and helpful folks that are ready and willing to make things right.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad my Tango is simple with a separate city water c0nnection, fresh water fill and water heater by-pass.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Any one who has seen the plumbing nightmare behind either the Anderson or Nautilus panels will pine for the days when you had a city water connection, separate tank fill and stand alone bypass valve. One needs an advanced degree to figue out how these new and improved systems are inter-connected.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
I sure love the gravity fill on my Northwood. No goofy valves to go bad.

x2!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I sure love the gravity fill on my Northwood. No goofy valves to go bad.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
With the Anderson valve it's advised to release the water pressure in the system before rotating the valve. If you do not do this it will eventually blow the O ring seals. That's when the fresh water tank fills if the valve is rotated to the city water position. Don't ask me how I know!!! LOL!!!!

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Found the water valve switch. The lever is down, indicating only city water inflow, but the fresh water tank is filling, so there must be an internal problem. We'll take it to the dealership. Thanks, everyone, for the input.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Our Montana also has a "switch" to fill either the tank, or use city water while connected, so you may want to check that out as well.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Anderson valve if you have one and is like the one on Big Horns has 4 positions.

Normal=Pump/tank
City=Hose connection
Fill=Hose fills fresh water tank
Winterize=Pumping in pink stuff

These valves are noted to have o-ring problems. The selector slug is easy to replace.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a switch on our Montana next to the water connection to switch between NORMAL (water to the normal piping system) and FILL (water going to fill the fresh water tank).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Does it overflow out the filler?
If so then it's more likely the check vavle in the water pump. Disassemble, rinse and your good to go.