cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezer at 20, Reefer at 60

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
This a Dometic RM2652. I cleaned the burner, was't much there hardly any rust and nothing came out when I tapped on the flue. Lights up right away and stays lit. I get the same result from propane and 110v. It seems to me that it has been going this way just recently.I What am I missing here? It looks clean behind the access panel, nothing obvious bent, broken, burned or appears to leak. Looked at a bunch of youtube videos and didn't get much except a cooling unit replacement which might be out of my wheelhouse.
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
bhoth wrote:
Hey Old Bisquit, is that control board at the bottom of the fridge on the back or up higher. I also have a Dometic fridge running around 50 degrees.
See below what I have access to on the back of my fridge.

Mod Edit: Remember to set photos to max width of 800 pixels - Thanks.

It's the black box on the left. Remove the screw on top. Twist the left side up and you should be able to pull away. The plug should be in the upper left corner.

I was able to diagnose and repair mine with the info posted by old biscuit. I used an adjustable aftermarket unit called "snip the tip".
It took five minutes for me to do and worked like a charm. Thanks OB!!

bhoth
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Old Bisquit, is that control board at the bottom of the fridge on the back or up higher. I also have a Dometic fridge running around 50 degrees.
See below what I have access to on the back of my fridge.

Mod Edit: Remember to set photos to max width of 800 pixels - Thanks.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
THANKS for 'coming back' and updating US ..... that is appreciated

I'll second that, so many of these threads just die and we never hear the outcome. Sounds like an easy fix now!

If you can get the specs. for the thermistor and have an ohmeter you can check it.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
THANKS for 'coming back' and updating US ..... that is appreciated
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
OB hits it out of the park. I DC'ed the thermistor at the panel and got down to 0 in the freezer and 35 in the reefer. New thermistor is en route.
Thank you O sage one.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
Check the seals on your refrigerator door, we had one that the door was not sealing and would not get cold, freezer would work fine.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

a_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, OB! I had some less than stellar performance from my 8 cu ft Dometic unit in my Stellar toy hauler over our 2-week trip a couple weeks ago, and I had previously set the clip to the "colder" setting. Dug out the manual, but your info has been more enlightening than reading the manual. Now I've got some concrete things to check to make sure I don't have an expensive repair coming up.
TH: 2014 Eclipse Stellar 27DBLG, grey, Abyss pkg, 10K GVWR, ordered 6/1/13, delivered 12/14/13
TV: '04 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1L, 3.73, 4x4, 10K tow rating, Blue Ox 14K hitch... aspiring to replace with a diesel 1-ton
Toys: '13 F800GS, '09 KLX250s, '05 DR200se

Y-Guy
Thanks for the details OB!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Old Biscuit. I am level and will go do some inspection and then the tests.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dometic RM2652 has a 'preset factory temp control' so moving the thermistor WILL affect temps by 4*F -- 6*F overall.
Moving thermistor/clip UP results in MORE COOLING (longer cycles)
Moving thermistor/clip DOWN results in LESS COOLING (shorter cycles)

But 20*F in freezer and 60*F in food compartment.........sliding thermistor is NOT going to cure that!

Freezer temps have to get below 10*F before food compartment can beginning cooling down within range

Same whether on electric or propane then need to look at common items:
*How long have you been running it?.....takes 12 hrs min
*Level..rig reasonably level?
*Ventilation....no insulation fallen down causing air flow obstruction (outside compartment)
*Ventilation......bottom/top vent free/clear
*Thermistor.......BAD
*Cooling Unit.....internal clogs/blockages

Thermistor.....
Unplug thermistor leads from control board.....outside compartment/under cover ---P2 (top left corner)
Run fridge w/o thermistor overnight......force cools ---check temps in AM
Freezer S/B 0*F and food compartment 38*F
If not---replace thermistor

Cooling Unit>........
Check area around burner for 'yellowish powder/residue'....cracked tube...cooling unit toast

No yellow powder/residue then:
*unplug ac power cord from outlet
*remove electric element leads from control board
*plug element leads directly into outlet...energizing element

Run with element directly wired overnight.
Check temps in AM.
Freezer S/B 0*F and food compartment 38*F
If not....cooling unit obstructed...bad....replacement needed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use a small battery operated fan in the fresh food section. Has worked well since 1978.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
There should be a white "clip" on one of the fins in the back of the fridge. That is the adjustment. Slide it up or down on the fin to adjust the amount of cold to each side of the box.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon