cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance for full timers

ajacobs1112
Explorer
Explorer
We are just about to enter the world of full time rving and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on insurance. Any information would be helpful. We will be using a fifth wheel and based in two and at most 3 places in the first year. Thanks in advance for your input.
18 REPLIES 18

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
I guess I must be missing something. I'm not full timing yet, but plan on keeping my S&B home when I do. Right now my RV is covered by auto policy while towing and by the home owners policy when not. The auto add on is less than $100/yr and no additional on the home owners. So if one still owns a S&B house, why the need for the what seems to be expensive additional policies?

When towed it is covered for Liability only. No physical damage coverage on the RV unless you are paying for comprehensive and collision on the fifth wheel.

Same thing when parked. Home will cover liability but not damage to the fifth wheel itself.

Regular policies very tremendously with ACV, replacement cost or stated value coverage for the fifth wheel but the common theme between "full time" and regular policies is including liability insurance similar to what a home provides. No home, this coverage is more important. Personal effects as well although I've seen more and more standard policies including this now as opposed to just full time ones.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I would say yes, but who am I ?
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Diana808
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Typically, "full timing" means someone w/o a S&B.

CC-skipjack wrote:

So if one still owns a S&B house, why the need for the what seems to be expensive additional policies?

You don't.

How about if I keep my S&B and rent it out? Am I considered a full-timer?
Diana & Michael
Hawaii Island and Alaska

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
I guess I must be missing something. I'm not full timing yet, but plan on keeping my S&B home when I do. Right now my RV is covered by auto policy while towing and by the home owners policy when not. The auto add on is less than $100/yr and no additional on the home owners. So if one still owns a S&B house, why the need for the what seems to be expensive additional policies?

When we still had our S&B our homeowner's insurance did not cover the trailer, hence the additional policy.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Beerboy
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

CC-skipjack wrote:

So if one still owns a S&B house, why the need for the what seems to be expensive additional policies?

You don't.

Depending on your travel plans you will want to make sure your policies cover your RV for extended periods out of state as well as 12 months of the year. Some policies limit coverage to trailers that not out of state for more than 6 months while others only offer 3 season coverage for some perils. You just want to know your policy details to keep yourself protected.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
I guess I must be missing something. I'm not full timing yet, but plan on keeping my S&B home when I do.

Typically, "full timing" means someone w/o a S&B.

CC-skipjack wrote:

You don't.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:

Fulltimers policies are for people who REALLY ARE FULLTIMERS. They have no S&B, no homeowners policy, thus the requirement for additional insurance. Since you are going to keep your S&B, you will not be a fulltimer and thus do not need to extra insurance.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

ajacobs1112
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I decided to go with Progressive and they were very helpful, explaining and answering all my questions.

Luminara42
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar question. I am going to be living in my new trailer full-time but it will be stationary for about a year before I start traveling. I am having a hard time finding insurance that will even offer my coverage because the trailer is stationary, even though I'm keeping the wheels on.

Any suggestions? I've heard good things about Miller but I haven't had a chance to contact them yet. I would prefer Progressive because I would get a discount through my own bank (USAA) but they are denying me coverage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
We just updated with Foremost and they quoted Progressive as the best combination of coverage and price for full timing in South Dakota per our needs. We were previously with Brown and Brown of Kentucky through Foremost.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you using Geico, are you fulltimers? If so, does your policy have the fulltimer liability portion? When I shopped in Texas, Geico said they had fulltimer insurance, but it didn't include that liability portion, and I read about someone in South Dakota who had the same issue.

And I'm not asking if Geico sold you a fulltimer policy--I'm asking if you have this exact element of coverage (it will be specified in the itemized list of coverages).

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used miller .. Noted above and also overland to quote us prices on a full timer policy. Miller agency is in Oregon ( where we are from ) but writes and represents many states These are independent agents. There are only 2 or 3 actual insurance companies that write true "full timers" insurance that includes the personal liability component that you old homeowners provided and the true full time use. The actual company we ended up with is Progressive
Many companies write extended use policies they may call "full time" for your RV but the are more for snowbirds that still maintain a home base .. And the insurance on that home base provides your liability portion. That policy allows you to use the RV year round with no "winter layup" clause that most Rv policies contain but not constantly
Full timer Insurance rates are of course higher as you don't have a stick home .. But then of course you don't have that stick home policy to pay also. Rates are a combination of location , driving record , age and credit report. So very hard to compare someone else's policy
Bill

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
Just like any other insurance, they quote a low price to get your business then the next year here comes the rate increases. My Progressive policy jumped $150.00 this year. Time to start shopping again. And when I was with Geico they did the same thing.

I do the same. It's about a 3 year cycle, for me its,,,,
Geico
Progressive
USAA