cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red Bluff to Susanville/Hwy.395 on Hwy. 36

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
How is Hwy. 36 from Redding CA to Susanville, CA and Hwy. 395 south for a 40 ft. Class A?
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.
9 REPLIES 9

Tigre10
Explorer
Explorer
We are also in a Class A gas, pulling a toad & planning to go the beginning of Sept. from Hwy 5 east to Susanville & south to Reno. Thought of the 89, 44 & 36.

Anything we should be concerned with?

2012 Holiday Rambler 32'Aluma lite
2014 Ford Edge

BC Boomers
2 4 The Road

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken that route also and is another fine road. 89 will take you to 44 at Old Station then to 36 which you take to Susanville and 3985.

Safe travels whichever way you decide on.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Alternate Route: 89 at McCloud to Susanville and 395. Same 40 ft Class A.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
No problem. Road construction at the S curves west of Mineral -- finally straightening them out. The rest of the highway is fine for any rig. No fuel in Mineral.

Fuel at Chester, Westwood, and in Susanville.

Large rest area at Morgan Summit, just east of the 89 Junction to Lassen Volcanic NP (89 thru LAVO not open yet).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain - I believe that the OP is only going to use CA 36 to travel east from I-5 to Lassen NP, and doesn't intend to go westward toward the coast on CA 36. Going west on CA 36 is a bad idea for motorhomes; as you stated use CA 299 from Redding west through Weaverville and other spots towards Arcata.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
How is Hwy. 36 from Redding CA to Susanville, CA and Hwy. 395 south for a 40 ft. Class A?

Hwy. 36 would not be my first choice with a 40' rig. The last time I took it was on a motorcycle and it was a challenge. I would take Hwy. 299 to Redding.

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 36 is out of Red Bluff. I would check the Caltrans website for current road construction projects, and Cal Fire for current fires in the areas.

It predominately a two lane mountainous highway, many big rigs, logging vehicles traverse Highway 36.

If I remember correctly it is the southern entrance to Lassen National Park. Worth a visit.

Enjoy.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:

36 doesn't go out of Redding. If you are thinking out of Red Bluff as in your title 36 is fine.

395 S. out of Susanville towards Reno is a fine road with some 2 lane and some 4 lane. When you get about 2 miles from the HWY 70 exit it is 4 lane all the way to Reno if you are going that far.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel