cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh tank is filling while hooked to city water

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
My water hose is hooked to my city water connection yet my fresh tank keeps filling and overflowing through the overflow tubes. It has never done this before. Why is it doing this?
11 REPLIES 11

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same thing last year to my band new Forest River lemon.
It is the check valve in the water pump.
Mine was replaced under warrantee, and they gave me a new water pump.
They said it was cheaper than to repair it.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did that and we had to replace our Sureflo water pump. First repair shop had no clue. Finally just told the next repair shop to replace the water pump and it was fixed. Good Sam policy covered all but the deductible when they proved the pump was at fault.

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Sounds like the check valve in the water pump is leaking. Take the pump apart and clean the valve. Or, you can install a check valve at the pump. Just make sure it's on the correct side.

Ours did that, and this was exactly what it was. By the time we found it, the pump was toast. See if there is water puddling around the pump anywhere. Once Hubby replaced the pump, all was good.
Marti, Lee, and an old gray cat

crk112
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed!

I recently camped in the driveway in our new TT with city water hooked up.. the next morning my freshwater tank had a gallon or so in it.

I took it as nothing and went on my way... glad I found this thread, I think I'll take another look!

(edited for clarity)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RUN the pump........use up the water in fresh water tank.
Put some flow thru the pump

Use that pump
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the check valve in the water pump is leaking. Take the pump apart and clean the valve. Or, you can install a check valve at the pump. Just make sure it's on the correct side.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is gravity fill where I hook the hose outside to the fresh water tank fill in order to fill the fresh tank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends.......

DO you have a water panel with valve/switch tht goes from 'city water' to 'fill' ??

Or a 'gravity fill port''where you have to put hose in to fill fresh water tank

'Fill' then it could be the Anderson Valve

Gravity Fill......
Then it is the water pump internal check valve not sealing.
Turn off city water....use pump and flow thru pump from tank MAY clear debris/mineral scale from check valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Shut off the water, make sure there is no pressure on the system then manipulate the valves to see if they will reseat correctly. I had that happen last year when I forgot to switch my valves from road to city water before I hooked up my water line.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
ours did that- we have the 4 way ANDERSON valve. the rubber gaskets were messed up on the cartridge and it needed to be replaced. our valve looks like the layout I did below

pump

tank fill winterize

city water

can't get it to post correctly the pump is a t 12 o'clock,
the tank fill 9 o'clock winterize 3 oclock
city water 6 o'clock

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
IIRC, there is a check valve in the plumbing to stop that from happening, that is where I would start. It seems some are separate valves inline, some are in the water pump. I could be wrong of location since I have not had this particular problem.