cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sagging floor

Devind33
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 razorback 2650 toy hauler the floor has started to sag in the middle. You can't really see it but you can feel the hump near the front and on the sides. It sinks down about 3/8"-1/2". Should I be concerned or is this normal? I got underneath the trailer and the integrity of the beams all look just fine
23 REPLIES 23

mjrfd99
Explorer
Explorer
Shoddy workmanship like many RV's. Make things light weight but they are NOT up to the task.
Techs at RV repair won't even get on some roofs they are so weak.
Do your home work - too many RV's are garbage in 2 yrs.

Devind33
Explorer
Explorer
roller183 wrote:
A suggestion if you plan on leaving toys in the TH all winter and not moving them would be to lay a piece of 3/4" plywood under the wheels that are on top of a area of floor, not near a floor joist or cross member.

This would help spread the load to the cross member and possibly not bow the floor material(osb/pressboard-thin plywood)as much or at all. Make sure the extra plywood spans from joist/cross member to the next cross member.

Plywood in winter-moist areas will sag from weight over a extended period of time, leaving you with those small dips in the floor.

Great advice thanks!!

roller183
Explorer
Explorer
A suggestion if you plan on leaving toys in the TH all winter and not moving them would be to lay a piece of 3/4" plywood under the wheels that are on top of a area of floor, not near a floor joist or cross member.

This would help spread the load to the cross member and possibly not bow the floor material(osb/pressboard-thin plywood)as much or at all. Make sure the extra plywood spans from joist/cross member to the next cross member.

Plywood in winter-moist areas will sag from weight over a extended period of time, leaving you with those small dips in the floor.
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport F 40 SPTS 40' 3 axle TH.
2013 RAM Mega cab Dually 6spd.auto gray

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
My garage floor was sinking and I had it repaired under warranty. The dealer claimed that it was water intrusion from the side moldings but I seeing how my trailer is covered when not in use I find that hard to believe.
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Fixed Sight Training wrote:
I carry comprehensive insurance on my TH. Water damage sounds like something that would be covered.

not water damage. sounds like too much weight stored for too long a time on iffy construction?
bumpy

Still may be covered. If you carry comprehensive worth a phone call.
Big Brother is watching.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed Sight Training wrote:
I carry comprehensive insurance on my TH. Water damage sounds like something that would be covered.

not water damage. sounds like too much weight stored for too long a time on iffy construction?
bumpy

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Big Brother is watching.

Towin_Toys
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:
Trade it in as soon as possible.

You have a water leak that has already caused massive damage. The leak is probably tiny, undetectable, impossible to find, and impossible to fix...let alone the massive amount or work it would be to find the damage in the roof, walls, and floor.

Don't tell the dealer about the sag or the leak.

Take the hit now...hopefully it won't be too bad.

Unload it while you still can.

You just gave the worst advice imaginable, and without any facts.. You are the kind of guy I never want to meet or have dealings with.
KMO
'17 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 CC
'18 Northwood Desert Fox Toy Hauler
'16 Polaris RzR 900
'11 KTM 990 Adventure
'06 Softail Deuce 98"
'08 KTM 300 XC-W(e)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking floor leveling cement here.
bumpy

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
Is the underside covered or can you get to it. Wouldn't be hard to add some extra support underneath to take the sag out, as long as its not a moisture problem.

Devind33
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
gee, trading off a lemon is not a new suggestion in this forum. perhaps not quite as blunt as this one however.
is the weakness only in the garage area? if so, another layer of plywood, etc.
bumpy

It's not even really a weakness the floor still feels very solid no movement at all, no moisture detected, it just sags. I did store two ATV's in it all winter without taking them out.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
gee, trading off a lemon is not a new suggestion in this forum. perhaps not quite as blunt as this one however.
is the weakness only in the garage area? if so, another layer of plywood, etc.
bumpy

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Get an ATC.. All metal, top to bottom. We love ours. OSB, really?? Its not if just when concerning failure.

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said Kudos to you. Sad time we live in. As to the floor sag, not hard to understand if you get a look at how there made. I just replaced all the plywood in two slides on our Cyclone and a piece of the main floor. Slides where 1 inch marine grade ply wood, fairly substantial. The main floor was 3/4 inch osb adequate within reason, but some of the spans where approaching 28 inches, a little much in my book! In the upper area (bedroom) the floor is 1/2 in osb with spans of 25 inches. Way to much and there is definitely a sag in that. I didn't feel it was enough to warrant putting in extra support however. Added a few screws into frame work and it stiffened up some. Interesting to note, the main floor area is about 8' X 16' and it is one full sheet of osb!! You have to order a lot of material to get that custom sized. In that 128 sq. feet of area I couldn't find over 5 screws holding it down! I added a few but the lack of screws might be intentional to allow for some flex. Not all that hard to replace the floor, if you have any carpentry expierence and tools. What type of floor covering in the area? Any way to pull it up and take a look? Did you check moisture levels above and below in several areas?
Good Luck.

Remember if its made by man, it can be broke by man, and it can be fixed by man! Its what's made by GOD that that can't always be fixed.