cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NB and PEI in a week?

aharris0614
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! Thinking of heading up to NB and maybe PEI in mid-September, coming from Maryland. Since we only have about 10 days total we will put off Nova Scotia for another time. Sigh... Prob will power drive up to NB/PEI so we can devote our time there, see the sights and maybe stop in Maine/NE coast on the return if time permits.

We will be travelling with my 80+ y/o in-laws (father in law has always wanted to see the tides) who have some issues with mobility.

Is there a place to see the tides/tidal floor (low tide), tidal bore etc that is fairly accessible and doesn't require trails or a lot of walking on uneven surfaces?

We will be in a 43' class A with a tow.
Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
10 days. Is that door to door or actually 10 days in Canada? MD to the border will be at least 2 days each way. You have less than a week for NB & PEI.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we are in new Brunswick in the middle of a 6 week tour of nb and pei

Fredericton is great small city

cross at Calais/st Stephen short detour to st Andrews, ferry ride(free) to deer island, on to Fredericton, down the st john river through gagetown, cross the river at crystal beach(free ferry) another free ferry to quispamsis and down the st martins.

st martins up to sussex and down to fundy national park and alma. on to Hopewell rocks, on to Moncton.

Moncton to the pei ferry on nova scotia on the north coast road. ferry to pei is an hour, well worth extra time. come back on the bridge

that route to pei is good for at least a week preferably 2

over night(2 or 3 nights) stops in st Andrews, Fredericton, st martins, fundy national park, Hopewell rocks, new Glasgow ns

we're there as I write this, in st martins, went to the fundy trail park yesterday for the day. down to fundy national park and alma today via sussex
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
All right. Alternative places to see. Real sites, not imitation.

I've neither been to the Anne theatre or to the tourist site. I love the books and know them well. I just know better than to think someone can do an interpretation I'll agree with.

So, history, neighboring places. Orwell Corner historic village. Sir Andrew MacPhail homestead. Real people lived in these places. They are not something someone made up.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from spending a couple of months touring that area. It had been some years since my wife and I had been there and back then, we passed on PEI. So I was really looking forward to seeing PEI for the first time.

Enjoyed the Hopewell Rocks a lot. The Tidal Bore was actually a Total Bore. Better, IMO to get a water front campsite and over the longer span of an afternoon/evening just watch the tremendous change due to the tides.

A decade or so ago, we really enjoyed Halifax. Not so this summer. Total disaster due to construction all over the downtown area and, in June at least, especially the waterfront. Everything was torn up. The star of NS was, IMO, Lunenburg - a fabulous waterfront and a town of architectural interest. Cape Breton was a great drive.

So, PEI. The major disappointment of my trip. Maybe I built it up too much in anticipation but... The best Anne of Green Gables attraction was the Provincial Park presentation - by far. I did all the others as well and they were, IMO, worthless places trying to sell you cheap souvenirs. I attended the Anne/Gilbert play in Charlottetown. It was horrid. Performances were OK but the theater is what they call intimate - read tiny and cramped. The seating were the equivalent of kitchen chairs. bolted to the floor cheek to jowl. You think seating in coach on a domestic flight sucks? Guess again. At least on a flight, you can, if you need get up. You are warned after you are seated (like well after you pay for your ticket) that you will not be allowed to get up once the play starts. Good reason for that. You enter the theater stage right (literally on the stage) and that entry door becomes an integral part of the play. So if you do need to leave this hot, claustrophobic, uncirculated air location for any reason, you actually need to walk across the stage, amongst the performers, to the exit at stage left. Not sure if the performance held up to the end as I departed at intermission and didn't come back.

If I were to redo my trip, I'd spend a bit more time in NS and save my fare to/from PEI.

When you have more time to do the Maritimes, circumnavigating the Gaspe Peninsula, QE is a fun trip and of course a visit to Old Quebec is a must
www.putt10.net

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
In New Brunswick you have to get off of the main highways. St. Andrews, just 1/2 hour from the Calais ME/St. Stephen NB border, is nice and there is a campground right on the water where you can see the vast difference in low\high tides. Lots there - Kingsbrae Garden, Huntsman Marine Lab - one of my favourite places in NB. From Saint John/Fredericton/Sussex you can tour the Saint John River Valley. Get a map and travel the roadways alongside the watercourses for the Saint John and Kennebecasis Rivers. There is a system of cable ferries (free) that make changing sides back and forth very easy. Hopewell Rocks is a great tourist site but not for someone with mobility issues. There is a trolley you can take from the entrance to the Rocks but then you have to negotiate a long flight is stairs to reach the bay bottom. The Tidal Bore can be seen from downtown Moncton where there is a seating area. Find the times of the tides and get there early because theres not a lot of nearby parking.

Cross via the Confederation Bridge (an experience in itself) to PEI. Anywhere you stay you'll only be an hour or two from the main attractions. Charlottetown is a must. The most scenic drive (IMHO) is from Summerside to North Rustico along the coast. Cavendish is a popular tourist area (Anne of Green Gables) with lots of things for kids but nice for adults too. In Sept it will be less-busy but also a bit cooler. Lobster Supper @ Fisherman's Wharf in North Rustico is a must for us every time we visit. Haven't tried the one in New Glasgow (PEI not NS), but hear it's comparable. HTH

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could remember the name of the campground on PEI we stayed at. Incredible water views, big sites-just gorgeous. It was almost brand new at the time.

We would stay at Fundy National Park when we went to NB. It's about 1hr 15 minutes south of Moncton. Headquarters campground should be able to accommodate your rig and if you go from there to Moncton you will pass by Hopewell Rocks. If you do stay there go to the bakery in Alma for their peanut butter cookies and sticky buns. Fantastic!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

aharris0614
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thank you everyone for such quick replies - these all sound like great ideas for such a quick trip. And, it seems like there will be plenty to fill our days, especially since we move at a fairly slow pace ๐Ÿ˜‰

Definitely looking forward to a couple lobster dinners too, so thanks for the restaurant ideas too!

Would a campground near Moncton or Shediac be a good choice and centrally located? How about on PEI, any recommendations for a big rig? I was thinking maybe New Glasgow?

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:

A hint - if going to PEI, take the ferry from NB over to PEI and come back on the bridge. The ferry charges by the foot whereas the bridge is a set fee for RV's.

On PEI, be sure to spend some time in Charlottetown and visit Founder's Hall. Also the play, Anne of Green Gables is enjoyable for all ages. It runs until Sept. 23rd.

Re. PEI, if you're not going to NS, take the bridge both ways. You can tour bits of that too.

Founders Hall is closed!

Cruises from Georgetown or Montague on the east coast are nice for those with slow walking skills. If in Montague, have lunch at Windows on the Water restaurant after.

New Glasgow Lobster Suppers is also open through all of September.

PEI also has special lighthouses: Point Prim, Cape Bear. Google them.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with everything Crowe posted.

In addition, Sarah can't go to PEI without having a lobster supper at Fisherman's Wharf in North Rustico. I don't like lobster, but I enjoy their salad bar.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
As Crowe suggested, take the Confederation Bridge both ways to PEI. I suggested the ferry one way as I thought you were going to NS as well
but it would be out of your way.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There tidal bore viewing spots in Moncton right along main roads. These would not require a lot of walking. Check out what time it is schedule to occur and then arrive at least 30 minutes early-times can vary somewhat. Be prepared-sometimes it's very small but still interesting to watch the tide come in that way. While the viewing at Hopewell Rocks doesn't show the actual wave, it is mind-boggling to watch how swiftly the water level rises. You will be pressed for time to do much in either NB or PEI if you choose both as I am assuming you will take two days to get there. That said, I would take the bridge both ways. Definitely go to Charlottetown as long as your FIL isn't completely immobile. It's a great place to just wander around. You might want to consider renting a wheelchair (if he doesn't have one) to increase your ability to visit.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years since we were at Hopewell Rocks in NB, but I know we went early in the day to see low tides, parked in the Visitor parking lot and had lunch, etc. and waited for high tide to come in. It really is spectacular to see both high and low tides. We were able to walk around the rocks when the tide was out, but I am fairly certain the visitor center has a large viewing area where you can view the tides. It would work for you in-laws. Parking a large rig should not be a problem.

A hint - if going to PEI, take the ferry from NB over to PEI and come back on the bridge. The ferry charges by the foot whereas the bridge is a set fee for RV's.

Sorry I can't help with the tidal bore - another tourist attraction but not in the same area as Hopewell Rocks.

On PEI, be sure to spend some time in Charlottetown and visit Founder's Hall. Also the play, Anne of Green Gables is enjoyable for all ages. It runs until Sept. 23rd.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)