cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator for Travel Trailer (not a tech question)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
A 3500-watt inverter generator is too tall to fit in the storage compartment of my travel trailer. Therefore, I will have to transport it in the back of my truck.

My question is... would you guys lug a generator to the back of a TT to use it, or would you run a 30-amp. RV extension cord to the generator in the bed of the truck?

My Coachmen TT power cord is in the rear of the trailer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
24 REPLIES 24

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one yet, but plan on running a permanently run cable from the tongue to the rear of the coach and wire it to the surge protector. With a long enough braided wire on the trailer I'll carry the gen in the bed and just plug it in when needed.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan 7500 diesel so I leave it in the bed of my truck and run it off my aux. tank. Puts out enough that if someone else forgot theirs they can plug in mine.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
I run my blue generator in the bed all the time. Ran a 12ga outdoor cord under the trailer to hook into the power inlet.

Why would you paint a Honda generator blue?

I change it every few trips, next time green maybe?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
delete
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I run my blue generator in the bed all the time. Ran a 12ga outdoor cord under the trailer to hook into the power inlet.

Why would you paint a Honda generator blue?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
All great idea's, I just want to be able to connect to the generator if it's in the back of the truck or out to the side.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You have to run the TT power cord to the generator no matter what. The easiest method is to unhitch and park the TV and generator close to the TT.

If that is not practical and the TT power cord is a few feet short, as all ready mentioned, a short, heavy gauge, extension cord would seem the obvious choice.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That brings up another subject... safely transporting generator gas.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would also run it in the bed.
Iwould not put it on the back of anything. (1 Gallon of gas = 24 sticks of dynomite).

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Bed of my pickup. Easy to cover/uncover by flipping up last section of tri-fold bed cover.

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
Run a Champion generator off the back of the truck. The generator has a remote control start. Sweet setup!! Just push the button on the remote and the power is on.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my Champion in the bed of my truck and bought a longer land cord for my TT that reached it while it was in the bed of the truck.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed