cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to buy a new TT

2013_Yukon
Explorer
Explorer
Well the time has come to finally buy a new TT. Our 2003 has been going downhill and I'm tired of repairs.

I've held off for quite some time because I generally distrust an industry that only provides a 12 month warranty, and produces a throw-away product that they build to last 5 years. Fit and finish, poor workmanship, shoddy construction, inferior materials, including poor chalking etc....Spending thousands of $$ for something I believe should be of better quality. Well, that's my rant 🙂

Family of 4 that loves to camp and currently have bunks, so we want to keep that, and want a slide. I would say we are in the 27-31 feet range for length. I've looked at the Winnebago Minnie Plus, and they say all the right things....just want to know what people would recommend from their own experiences. I'm in Canada, so that could be a factor as well to availability of quality brands.

There are so many variations from the same or similar suppliers, it's hard to know what you actually get that is better or improved from one over the other...if any.

Feedback would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2018 Coachmen Catalina this year. We love the floor plan, the amount of storage, and the amenities. It pulls like a dream, and the design is for the most part well thought out.

Unfortunately, it looks like it was assembled by a high school vocational training class. I found many little issues, like loose or over driven, crooked screws, etc. along with the brakes barely working and the 5/8 T&G plywood floor having a soft spot that sounds like it's broken when you step on it.

From what I can tell, it's not just Forest River, it's ALL of these guys. RVs are selling like hotcakes this year, so they're building them as fast as they can, and rather than engage in actual quality control, the manufacturers have apparently decided to use the customer as their inspector, and the dealer as the repair department.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 Yukon wrote:
I don't think we are going to see an improvement to quality until all trailers are made with an aluminium floor system and get rid of wood that only rots with exposure to water leaks.

Livinlite has a laminated "no wood" floor system. The older ones 2016 and older have an aluminum floor system.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Rockwood 8311SS and the quality is awful. That's why I put out the extra $$'s for the extended service plan. I am paying $1700 for 7 years bumper to bumper and guarantee that I'll double that in repairs. Only way to get something with superior quality is go Airstream...but you can buy 4 trailers for the cost of 1 AS.

We just traded in for the Highland Ridge Open Range 328. We'll see how it goes with that camper.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River "Surveyor" line is only mid-level quality, but they do offer a 2 year warranty for $100 extra. I've been impressed with the value for the money. If I get 13-15 years out of mine, like you have, I will not feel so bad if it is valueless in the end. We use the heck out of it and the memories are worth the price of the ticket.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There may be a used trailer on the market in your area that is of good quality. There is also a Canadian mfg (name escapes me) that is highly regarded.

Yes current new models may contain some cost cutting materials that are less than good. The composite floor construction is something I'd avoid. My trailer has 5/8" plywood and I had to replace a small section under the water heater and a small section that was near the bathroom. The rest is original and still in good condition after 46 years.
The use of EPDM for roofing material is just economy at work. Those owners that have installed a spray-on Roof Armor coating report excellent results and since the coating is applied over vent flanges and other through holes, typical caulk maintenance isn't needed. Eternabond cures a lot of ills, too. I have an aluminum roof and everything is sealed with Eternabond tapes. I have no leaks and test with pressurized interior air every few years, now. I have my own blower so testing is easy.

The Livin lite line of trailers used to be all aluminum but have now changed their flooring. We will see. Lance makes a solid unit and Bigfoot is also highly regarded in Forum reports.

Good luck with the trailer hunt.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't feel a new TT is any better than your current worn out 2003 TT, why change?

2013 Yukon wrote:
Well the time has come to finally buy a new TT. Our 2003 has been going downhill and I'm tired of repairs.

I've held off for quite some time because I generally distrust an industry that only provides a 12 month warranty, and produces a throw-away product that they build to last 5 years. Fit and finish, poor workmanship, shoddy construction, inferior materials, including poor chalking etc....Spending thousands of $$ for something I believe should be of better quality. Well, that's my rant 🙂

Family of 4 that loves to camp and currently have bunks, so we want to keep that, and want a slide. I would say we are in the 27-31 feet range for length. I've looked at the Winnebago Minnie Plus, and they say all the right things....just want to know what people would recommend from their own experiences. I'm in Canada, so that could be a factor as well to availability of quality brands.

There are so many variations from the same or similar suppliers, it's hard to know what you actually get that is better or improved from one over the other...if any.

Feedback would be appreciated.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
These look like a quality build. I don't know if ithey have one that meets your needs but the toy hauler space could be retrofitted.

ATC Trailers

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Yukon wrote:
I don't think we are going to see an improvement to quality until all trailers are made with an aluminium floor system and get rid of wood that only rots with exposure to water leaks.
It might be quality materials but the assembly is more important to me. I also prefer a 5/8" thick plywood floor.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I put a piece of exterior grade plywood to set the radio on, on the railing by my pool deck in 2002. It has set out in the weather year round, rain, snow, sun since then. It has not rotted and barely even warped.
I like wood ! 🙂

BTW, the floor in my travel trailer is 5/8" exterior grade plywood. Works for me.

2013_Yukon
Explorer
Explorer

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco and KZ offer 24 month warranties on some models, not that it means much if your dealership is backed up 5+ months on rework for factory screwups and the manufacturers are operating at 110% so sending something back to the factory results in more months of delay.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
I would say Freedom Express bunk models but mine has been at the dealership for 2 weeks for warranty work and still don't have an update. Yeah and we've had it for about 5 months now. Soooooo not going recommend Coachmen right now

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
They haven't got any better the rant should still be there