cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North shore of Lake Superior

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed off from BC in a couple of days with the goal of getting across the north side of Lake Superior, perhaps as far as Thunder Bay. Any suggestions as to must sees, don't bother, great campgrounds, etc? We are in a 24 foot fifth wheel and like to use plug in power when we can get it but do have a solar panel for dry camping. We like walking, history, art, museums, small town Canada, cultural events.

Thanks in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are only going a far as Thunder Bay you haven't seem much of Lake Superior. That is only the beginning of Superior.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Pukaskwa should not be missed ,we camp host there every year.
kayaking is the best this side of the rockies
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Got home yesterday from our Lake Superior trip. We did enjoy dropping down past the Sioux into Michigan then going through the Wisconsin section and up through Minnesota back to THunder Bay. Highlights for us were Rossport PP and a hike from the nearby Rainbow falls campground, Pukaskwa NP and the walks there, watching a Laker traverse the locks at the Sioux, Brimley state park in Michigan and the friendly Michigan couple we met there, Two Harbours in Minnesota as well as Split Rock lighthouse (well worth the admission), the many attractions of Grand Marais (Minnesota), as well as our time in various locations across the prairies. We liked the entire cct around Lake Superior and are very glad we did not simply turn around at the Sioux to head home.

Put 8500 km on the Duramax and it will a be job to get all the bugs off the front of the truck and fifth wheel! We took Hwy 17 East in Ontario and Hwy 11 west. Both were pretty drives and both featured lots of rock and trees (and water) with some nice fall colours.

We were impressed by the Spruce mtn PP in Manitoba and liked the Gordie Howe campground in Saskatoon. We stayed in provincial or state park campgrounds whenever we could. We found the Ontario parks expensive for what you get and were quite disappointed by Pancake Bay PP campground, expensive with power outlets requiring our long extension cord and a very noisy highway right next to us.

We had no problems getting fuel but we always try to run on the top of the tank in any case. Thanks again to those who gave us advice. We did follow much of it and it was good advice.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Powder pig wrote:
We are leaving late Gary because we like travelling when it is getting cooler and the kids are back in school so campgrounds are easier to get into. Besides, we have been so busy with family weddings, company, other trips that we haven't had the 30 days we are taking now. We have been to the Maritimes a couple of times but not in the RV. We very much enjoyed all the Maritime provinces and their people as well as the Gaspe' portion of Quebec in rental cars but that is a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to tow.

Thanks for the Minnesota advice,Mike. We will look at that possibility.

Thanks P.P.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Not much up there but trees

Trees and rocks,rocks and trees 🙂

https://youtu.be/Pcqud4yGNiA

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back home from a trip to northern Ontario. A couple of suggestions for you.

Riding Mountain national park is a good stop north west of Brandon Manitoba, they have a bison enclosure and the campground is close to the village, you can walk there.

We normally stop at a private park in Vermilion Bay Ontario (crystal lake), it's a couple of hours east of Winnipeg. The KOA is a good stop in Thunder Bay as is Kakabeka Falls provincial park. If you are going father east, Pukaskwa National Park near Marathon has great trails over the rocks on the shore. There is a nice park in Matathon run by the town, Penn Lake campground.

If you need more recommendations along the Superior shore , let me know.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are interested in aviation history, there is a museum dedicated to the Commonwealth Air Training Plan of WW2 at the Brandon airport.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving late Gary because we like travelling when it is getting cooler and the kids are back in school so campgrounds are easier to get into. Besides, we have been so busy with family weddings, company, other trips that we haven't had the 30 days we are taking now. We have been to the Maritimes a couple of times but not in the RV. We very much enjoyed all the Maritime provinces and their people as well as the Gaspe' portion of Quebec in rental cars but that is a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to tow.

Thanks for the Minnesota advice,Mike. We will look at that possibility.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice waterfall south of Wawa also... been a long time, but I think 5-10 miles south and then a paved road going west a mile or two. Some miles farther south than that, there are some petroglyphs.

But really I hope you will drop south of Thunder Bay into Minnesota. Their part of the shoreline is the best concentrated stretch of state parks, waterfalls, and Superior views of any part of the Superior shoreline. Stroll out to Artist's Point at Grand Marais, and have a pizza at Sven & Ole's. See the Split Rock Lighthouse. Drive to Palisade Head and see the lake 200' below you, and maybe get to watch rock climbers rappelling on the sheer rock cliff. Walk some trails along the rivers. Buy a Betty's Pie in Two Harbors. Even if you don't camp in MN, at least take a day trip along that stretch as far as Gooseberry Falls.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious about the rather late start. I see you are not going right across to the Maritimes? I am like, soooooo wanting to go, but the way I travel, it's a 4 month wander just to get there.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Another hint - in Northern Ontario travel on the top half of your gas tank. Sometimes stations are far apart and no warning signs about this.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Kakabecka Falls is worth a stop and look. We also enjoyed Whiteshell P.P. in Manitoba at the Ontario border. Also stop and see the big Canada goose in Wawa.
Last time we were there it sadly needed some restoration and they were looking for donations. It is a good coffee stop.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional suggestions wilber1. I have added them to our list.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Ft. Garry National Historic Site and The Forks in Winnipeg. Ft. William Historic Park near Thunder Bay.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS