Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 556  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

How about the fact the economy would grind to a halt and cities would starve without them.
Even your Tesla leaves the factory on the back of a carrier hauled by a diesel powered truck.

Without what?

I have no problem with gas or diesel vehicles. They are part of the evolution. I drive a diesel pusher. I just don’t think fuel should be subsidized. And as long as fuel is subsidized there should be huge subsidies for EV’s. The best thing would be to work towards no subsidies for either.

I don’t drive a Tesla.

Without fossil fuels. Almost everything you use or buy comes on a truck powered by them. Cities don't feed themselves from rooftop gardens.

No problem with fossil fuels as we need them in the transition. But why not charge the real cost for the fuel. Why the free ride. Crank up the tax or get rid of the subsidy. Incentivize the transition, don’t prolong it.

Petroleum is to valuable to burn.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

How about the fact the economy would grind to a halt and cities would starve without them.
Even your Tesla leaves the factory on the back of a carrier hauled by a diesel powered truck.

Without what?

I have no problem with gas or diesel vehicles. They are part of the evolution. I drive a diesel pusher. I just don’t think fuel should be subsidized. And as long as fuel is subsidized there should be huge subsidies for EV’s. The best thing would be to work towards no subsidies for either.

I don’t drive a Tesla.

Without fossil fuels. Almost everything you use or buy comes on a truck powered by them. Cities don't feed themselves from rooftop gardens.

No problem with fossil fuels as we need them in the transition. But why not charge the real cost for the fuel. Why the free ride. Crank up the tax or get rid of the subsidy. Incentivize the transition, don’t prolong it.

Petroleum is to valuable to burn.

Transition to what? Taxes don't magically produce technologies that can match the energy density and portability of fossil fuels.

We are in a pickle because there isn't anything on the horizon that is. We can make dents in fossil fuel use but there is no credible replacement for them in many applications. Aviation presents big problems, not only do you need fuels that have a high energy density but they also have to supply comparatively light weight engines that produce immense power, and the fuel can't turn to margarine at -35C.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Key word there is "transition". Change over time is the idea. Fossil fuel subsidies could be reduced over a 20 year period. The idea is to start today.

The second point is why complain about EVs getting similar subsidy as fossil fuels have long long enjoyed?

Semi can't get here fast enough.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Umm, I hear this a lot from some people here. But not once has anyone stated specifically what subsidies the fossil fuel industry gets.

I am not talking about a tax break for investing in equipment.... All buisineses get those. I am talking about the kind of subsidies the EV industry gets... And Solar too. They have the govt. directly paying people to buy their products...

I have never recieved a dime directly from the govt. for driving a ICE auto... I do pay a lot though.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wilbur. I respect your opinion and understand what you are saying. But we will continue to disagree on this. I don’t see an all or nothing case. Already pretty much all commuter travelling can be done by electtic vehicles. 10 years ago it couldn’t. Short haul trucking and city bussing by electric are already becoming a reality. Electric mining equipment, short haul ferries etc etc. There is no off and on switch. It is a transition and it is happening. It will take 30 years. But, in my opinion subsidizing the fuel in the meantime is not helping things....unless they massively increase subsidies to the EV side.

Jmho.

I have to get back to my class/course.

Enjoyed the polite banter.

Cheers. Safe holiday travels.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What risks does Tesla face in the coming years?

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

'Use' taxes(based on mileage driven) are being studied in some states as a means of insuring all who use the roads pay for them. Others are considering imposing higher registration fees on BEV's. Who knows the outcome, only certainty is the gubbimint will get their 'tribute'.

What they have been doing in Australia for years. You get a road tax to pay for new roads, plus State and federal grants to build them

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Umm, I hear this a lot from some people here. But not once has anyone stated specifically what subsidies the fossil fuel industry gets.

I am not talking about a tax break for investing in equipment.... All buisineses get those. I am talking about the kind of subsidies the EV industry gets... And Solar too. They have the govt. directly paying people to buy their products...

I have never recieved a dime directly from the govt. for driving a ICE auto... I do pay a lot though.

Subsidies create artificial markets. This is in evidenced where EV sales have tanked when rebates are stopped. In Ontario, sales dropped from 3% of the market to less than 1% when the provincial rebate was discontinued.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/united-states-spend-ten-times-more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education/#ecf687144735

According to Forbes, fossil fuel gets more than renewables.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/06/15/united-states-spend-ten-times-more-on-fossil-fuel-subsidies-than-education/#ecf687144735

According to Forbes, fossil fuel gets more than renewables.

The IMF has just become another bunch of activists. They include every negative effect of fossil fuels as a subsidy while ignoring the consequences of not using them. There are a lot of things we use in society that have negative effects but we don't consider them subsidies.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 556  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.