cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turkey Frying

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a oil turkey fryer for several years, I need a new pot or go to an oil less fryer. I use a Cajon marinade not injected. I am looking at the Charbroil Big Easy Infrared or stay with oil; your opinions please from users if possible.
23 REPLIES 23

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
How's the quality of that oil-less fryer? I had a grill by the same maker that was a complete piece of junk and impossible to clean.

Does this fryer clean up?

We always spray it down with Pam Cooking Spray before each use and never have any issues cleaning it. The best was to clean it is with the water hose at it is bulky.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since we spatchcocked a turkey, we never looked back to frying or cooking in the oven. Just my $.02 worth...
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
How's the quality of that oil-less fryer? I had a grill by the same maker that was a complete piece of junk and impossible to clean.

Does this fryer clean up?

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We use to deep fry our turkey annually also. We purchased a Big Easy when they came out. The turkey are always nice and juicy, with crisp skin like when frying. It is as close that you can probably get to frying without actually frying. We also frequently cook chicken, pork boston butts, baby back ribs, etc in there and they all will melt in your mouth also.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We use to deep fry our turkey annually also. We purchased a Big Easy when they came out. The turkey are always nice and juicy, with crisp skin like when frying. It is as close that you can probably get to frying without actually frying. We also frequently cook chicken, pork boston butts, baby back ribs, etc in there and they all will melt in your mouth also.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I'm testing the Big Easy, away from home is where I do most of my frying. the unused peanut oil goes into a container that I take home for popcorn, the used oil goes back into the original container for recycling.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Are you guys saying the Big Easy makes it like deep fried? I've been doing the deep fried thing for years, (peanut oil at Costco or Cash n Carry) the biggest hassle is if you do it away from home, transporting the oil back home..... The Big Easy seems like the way to go if you get the same results....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Well I bought the Big Easy, had a bone in turkey breast and a couple legs, used a Cajun rub, let sit in fridge 2 hours per instructions then put in fryer. Total weight was 8.5 lbs. cook time was 1.5 hrs. took internal temp readings both at 165, removed it let sit wrapped in foil for 1 hr. sliced it up, not completely cooked including legs WTF, we ate what was completely cooked; not impressed with seasonings, tasted like roasted turkey with zero seasoning or cooker, uneven cooking.
Going to try injecting next time and try again but if it does not get better then its back to my oil fryer for Thanksgiving until I get it figured out.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Have used the big easy for quite a few years now and like it. Great for big baked potato's, pork loin roasts, all sorts of things. Turkeys are pretty tasty. Not the same as deep fried but real good. Some times getting the bird out of the basket can be a real PITA. But with time you figure it out. Sure beats 50 bucks in oil to fry a tuerkey.

Luv_Campin
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Big Easy. I inject and do a rub the night before I cook it. Makes a big difference than injecting right before you cook it. Much more flavorful if you season it the night before.
2007 Ford F150
2012 Keystone Summerland 2100RB
one bossy dachsund
1 short wife and 1 short dog

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Big Easy. Have fixed a few turkeys that way, including one that broke its neck on the way home from the local county fair. Plucked it, put it on ice for the night, and cooked in less than 3hours the next day. Turkey weighed over 25 pounds but because it was fresh, was able to fit in the Big Easy. One of the best turkeys ever had.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We still deep fry for Thanksgiving. Get together with a couple of neighbors and cook at least 3 birds, each 14 - 16 pounds. Helps to spread the oil expense.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I see one party used the term "deep fryer".

That didn't occur to me until today. Frying to me is cooking in a frying pan, for me, cast iron is preferred.

I checked google and I'm right. The term deep fryer is probably what all of you "too expensive' souls mean.

Frying is what I do. Enough oil to coat the item.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Big Easy five or so years ago. We use to always deep fry our turkey prior to it. We LOVE it. We cook all kinds of meats in ours beside just turkey.

Former Coaches:
1991 Coleman Pop Up