Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Uber expensive pickups...how much of a trend ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uber expensive pickups...how much of a trend ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very expensive pickups...loaded, beautiful interiors, etc. Is this a harbinger of the future...or just a temporary trend ?

How much luxury do people want and perhaps more to the point can they afford ?

Deluxe, albeit it pricey Ford pickups introduced.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoot, I've only paid over $10,000 for a vehicle once, and that was for the pickup to haul our 5th wheel. I guess if you make several hundred thousand dollars a year it's no big deal to spend that kind of money and watch it disappear in depreciation over the next couple years. I just don't have that kind of discretionary income I guess.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman

otr

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Freightliner is looking better every day. Pickups may have bling and horsepower, but they're light and don't have air ride.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pickups are getting scary expensive...

In 1973 I ordered a 1974 model Dodge 1500 4X4 from the factory. I ordered the base model no radio, rubber floor mats, no A/C it was as stripped as possible. The cost out the door was $3800. It wouldn't surprise me if a 2018 equivalent would be over $25,000.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Shoot, I've only paid over $10,000 for a vehicle once, and that was for the pickup to haul our 5th wheel. I guess if you make several hundred thousand dollars a year it's no big deal to spend that kind of money and watch it disappear in depreciation over the next couple years. I just don't have that kind of discretionary income I guess.

It's a lot of bucks that's for sure. I also don't have that kind of budget. I agree if you have an income of a couple to three hundred grand a year as an income, than maybe. I wonder how much of a market in customer numbers that would be, though.

And to think back in 1978 I paid $ 1700 CAD for my new '78 Yamaha 500cc big single, motorcycle. I remember then, thinking that kind of money was outrageous for a vehicle, particularly a 2 wheeler...and to boot it had absolutely no tow rating. Still have it, in spite of all that. [emoticon]

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People want them and are buying them....so they make them.
The walk around is to buy the same truck in a base trim version.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why they make and XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch, etc. People can buy what they want.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

Pickups are getting scary expensive...

In 1973 I ordered a 1974 model Dodge 1500 4X4 from the factory. I ordered the base model no radio, rubber floor mats, no A/C it was as stripped as possible. The cost out the door was $3800. It wouldn't surprise me if a 2018 equivalent would be over $25,000.

And back in 1947 my grandpappy bought a new ______for $652 dollars!
Agree they're expensive. Ditch the KR leather, 6 cameras and the 100 other luxury options and it looks a lot better.
Plus apples to apples a new truck today is about 100 percent more capable and lasts 100 percent longer than a 70s or 80s anything.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait for the economy to take a dump again. Be lotsa nice used trucks for cheap.
Last time around we bought a new truck, boat, house and 160ac all from people who couldn't afford their overpriced luxury stuff.
Hoping to hold out for the next one for another new truck lol.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

That's why they make and XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch, etc. People can buy what they want.

Amazing people cannot wrap their heads around that. Just like everyone that buys a house does not purchase a 10k square foot home on the beach. Everyone has options but some are fixated the most extreme choices available.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uber expensive pickups...how much of a trend ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS