Did you mean:ย 

Power Requirement for Satellite Receiver

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dish Network Tailgater bundle with the little Wally receiver
I want to run the receiver off a portable power inverter
I have a DC outlet behind the TV that used to run an old school 12V TV
I replaced that TV with a new 32" LED TV that takes less power and I got rid of the wall power supply run directly off the 12V receptacle
Now I want to run the Dish Tailgater receiver off the same outlet
The Dish manufacturer says the Dish system takes one amp
What size inverter do you think I need to run the tv plus satellite?
I'm hoping a small one plugged into the existing receptacle will work
9 REPLIES 9

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I would add one more thing I would get a battery volt monitor and don't rely on the battery monitor in the coach (unless you have one that has a numerical readout)
I use this one it has a low voltage alarm.

If you going to be using the furnace at the same time you will suck those batteries dry before you know it.
https://www.amazon.com/VoltMinder-Digital-Volt-Meter-Batteries/dp/B001IQ1XW4

I have 2 6v batteries, how low can I let them get before I fire up the generator?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would add one more thing I would get a battery volt monitor and don't rely on the battery monitor in the coach (unless you have one that has a numerical readout)
I use this one it has a low voltage alarm.

If you going to be using the furnace at the same time you will suck those batteries dry before you know it.
https://www.amazon.com/VoltMinder-Digital-Volt-Meter-Batteries/dp/B001IQ1XW4
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Steve92004 wrote:

That's smart, I think I'll do the same
Thanks!

if you can find an inverter with a remote on/off connection for a switch that is ideal. On the old one I had I was able to open it up and solder in two wires for a parallel on/off switch. On this new one I was too cheap and lazy and just wired in a little pilot circuit/relay and leave the inverter switch "on" and isolate power with the indoor switch.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Steve92004 wrote:
Thanks guys
I went out and plugged a cheap 300 watt inverter into the 12v receptacle and plugged the tv into it with the original power supply.
It ran fine off the inverter and I have a 5 volt usb video player running off the tv's usb port running fine as well
I'll try the dish receiver when it gets delivered tomorrow
Hopefuly it'll all run together off that little inverter
The inverter fan is a little noisy but I can live with that
Now you got me thinking about a soundbar lol
The coax connector behind the TV says satellite ready, so I should be able to hook the dish to the outside outlet and then run a short length to the receiver yes?
I only have 2 six volt batteries and I'm hoping to not have to use the generator a bunch, I'm taking off for five days of dry camping at Glamis next week
Be nice if everything works well

You should be fine with the 2 6 volts, I have same setup with 300 watt inverter but I put the inverter next to the batteries and ran romex to the outlet for the T.V. and receiver, cooling fan doesn't bother me and 12v wires are short, I have a switch to turn it on/off. My TV is only 26" as that's all the space I have but it works great. I do run my generator twice a day for an hour or so, coffee in the AM and while cooking in PM. Seems to keep it all working just fine. Tailgater dish and Dish V211k receiver.

That's smart, I think I'll do the same
Thanks!

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Steve92004 wrote:
Thanks guys
I went out and plugged a cheap 300 watt inverter into the 12v receptacle and plugged the tv into it with the original power supply.
It ran fine off the inverter and I have a 5 volt usb video player running off the tv's usb port running fine as well
The coax connector behind the TV says satellite ready, so I should be able to hook the dish to the outside outlet and then run a short length to the receiver yes?
I only have 2 six volt batteries and I'm hoping to not have to use the generator a bunch, I'm taking off for five days of dry camping at Glamis next week

You should be fine with the 2 6 volts, I have same setup with 300 watt inverter but I put the inverter next to the batteries and ran romex to the outlet for the T.V. and receiver, cooling fan doesn't bother me and 12v wires are short, I have a switch to turn it on/off. My TV is only 26" as that's all the space I have but it works great. I do run my generator twice a day for an hour or so, coffee in the AM and while cooking in PM. Seems to keep it all working just fine. Tailgater dish and Dish V211k receiver.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Steve92004
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Our Direct TV receiver uses 55 Watts on as well as off.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a 300 watt Samlex PS inverter to run everything in our entertainment center which includes 40" HDTV, HD sat antenna and HD receiver, Bluray DVD player, and bluetooth soundbar. Our HDTV consumes less than 60 watts according to inverter readout, could have went smaller but wanted to have enough to run whatever was located within entertainment center. My DC socket did not have enough juice and the inverter squealed endlessly when plugged in, no biggie as I just ran wire of sufficient gauge directly from battery bank to easily power the inverter.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Volts X Amps = Watts. In your case, 120V X 1A = 120W.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad