cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best RV GPS for North America w/ Lifetime Map Upgrades

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
Been a while since I posted. I have bought a newer 2008 Foretravel 42 foot motorhome w/ a tag axel and I am looking for the best North America (including Mexico maps) GPS. Definitely want a 6 inch or larger screen. More concerned about underpasses, bridges, and commercial routes for larger RV's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Will be crossing at Anzalduas Bridge and headed to our home in Querรฉtaro for the Christmas Holidays, from there on to Valles, San Luis Potosi and return sometime in early January. Might be interested in Caravan if it is possible. I will be overnighting in Matehuala at the Las Palmas Hotel.

Thanks,
Robt65
Mission Texas
& San Juan del Rio, Querรฉtaro
6 REPLIES 6

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Garmin, Rand-mcnally, google maps, Streets & trips, and Co-pilot. They all have routings for the shortest way,, the fastest, way, and some have the eco way. NONE have the best way, or the most logical way. Use them at your own risk! However I do like my Garmin, and get it updated free about every six months or so.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ben31rv
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want it for RV services or for routing? The Garmin RV version (RV 760lmt) costs quite a bit more than the Trucker version (dezl 770LMT). both will route you to where you need to go, but the trucker version is almost half price. I still keep a physical trucker's Rand McNally atlas to check new routes myself.
Ben and Doreen
2017 Crusader 315RST
2008 F250 6.4 Supercrew Lariat

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin but they keep changing their model numbers and pricing so I can't tell you much about what they have to offer today. As long as you keep doing the updates the maps of all of NA including Mexico are about as accurate as you can get.

As a former trucker and now 11 year full time RVer I can tell you something about low clearances - there is no GPS or list or anything that will tell you where every low clearance is. I know of several specific low clearances that appear on no GPS or map or list I have ever seen - and I look. Low clearance aids do have some use but if you count on them and not on your own eyes you will have problems. The only way to be sure to avoid low clearances is to stay alert and pay attention at all times. Try this - GOOGLE - On The Road To Success There Are No Shortcuts - the picture is real - a professional driver - I know the bridge - it is not on any list or GPS.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using the Garmin RV 660LMT for three years and highly recommend it for travel in USA and Canada!! :B I don't know if it has enough detailed road information from Mexico to provide specialized routing in that country so beware. Check this link to compare the two Garmin RV specific GPS. You'll see that the RV 770LMT has a bigger screen and is more expensive but has fewer features than the RV 660LMT.

If you get into advance routing, be sure to download the FREE Garmin BaseCamp program onto your PC.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Be very carefull with the speed bumps on the US side entering Anzalduas bridge, they are walls istead of bdig round thdy are square, take them real slow, sorry do not use a GPS, I use paper maps and Google earth.

navegator

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
Been a while since I posted. I have bought a newer 2008 Foretravel 42 foot motorhome w/ a tag axel and I am looking for the best North America (including Mexico maps) GPS. Definitely want a 6 inch or larger screen. More concerned about underpasses, bridges, and commercial routes for larger RV's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Will be crossing at Anzalduas Bridge and headed to our home in Querรฉtaro for the Christmas Holidays, from there on to Valles, San Luis Potosi and return sometime in early January. Might be interested in Caravan if it is possible. I will be overnighting in Matehuala at the Las Palmas Hotel.

Thanks,
Robt65
Mission Texas
& San Juan del Rio, Querรฉtaro