cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ox Lignhting Kit.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
I had installer install the Blue Ox light kit on my Jeep and it was working as advertised I thought. I also have a braking system that uses the brake pedal when the jeep brakes are active the turn signal DOES NOT OPERATE but the brakes lights over ride the turn signal. Thinking I had problem with the install I called Blue Ox tech support and was told that is correct, the turn signal and brake light uses same wire. Not having a turn signal while the braking system in the toad is active isn't a problem according to tech support and just the way it works. No fix planned and been that way for years.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
One way to completely eliminate all of this with a toad having a hitch receiver, is to make up a light bar for attaching such, either from a piece of angle iron or other. If you like hitch haul racks, put the lights on it or if you have a bike carrier, put them on it. This way all wiring and lighting is independent of the toad's system and easily unplugged and removable when not in use. You can even plug it into the toad's trailer connector for added lighting, if you wish and when not in tow by your coach.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed the relay kit and the lights on work as they should.

"The purpose of a brake light relay kit is to prevent your towed car's brake signal from overriding the turn signal that comes from your RV. When your towed vehicle is properly wired and connected to your RV, its indicator lights will illuminate as you engage the turn signals in your RV. However, if you have only a four-diode system in place, the turn signal will be overridden by your towed car's brake signal as soon as your supplemental braking system presses the towed car's brake pedal. As a result, drivers behind you know only that you're slowing down and not that you are turning.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra.../RM-88400.html

Installing a brake light relay in your towed vehicle fixes this problem by ensuring that your car's brake signal does not override the RV's turn signal. Therefore, your towed car's lights will function in accordance with your RV at all times."

This is known by Blue Ox but there isn't a fix works to fix it and the Road Master Relay does fix the problem.

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Road Master on the ball and has a fix for the Blue Ox light kit problem.

Fix from Road Master for Blue Ox lighting kit.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:
Mile High ---

I understand the problem now and if known prior to purchase I would gone a different way with either the harness or the braking system. What if fear is going down hill and come upon a slower traffic and put brakes to slow down and put turn signal and have the brakes over rides the signal. Just would nice to know prior to purchase.
Thanks for pointing out the issue. As a buyer, I don't think I would have caught that.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:
Mile High ---

I understand the problem now and if known prior to purchase I would gone a different way with either the harness or the braking system. What if fear is going down hill and come upon a slower traffic and put brakes to slow down and put turn signal and have the brakes over rides the signal. Just would nice to know prior to purchase.

I have our RAV4 fully wired so the separate turn and brake lights all work normally, including the high center brake light. In your situation, since the toad brake pedal shouldn't be pressed by your auxiliary brake system unless the coach brakes are also applied, you could add a relay that disconnects the toad brake switch when the coach brake lights are on. That should restore the dual brake/turn function to the toad brake lights.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High ---

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, that kit wires you up like a boat trailer which works fine until the Jeep brakes are pressed, because the Jeep brakes energize the light whether the MH does or not and it over-rides the MH flashing signal.

All of these kits cause complications. I went with this one from Hopkins
Hopkins Jeep Wrangler

It uses diodes and just intercepts the wiring to your tailights. If the MH is hooked up, the Jeep is working off the MH pigtail. The downside is, the side running lights on the front fenders are not powered from the running lights, only the rear, and kind of a unique aspect is the 3rd brakelight doesn't come on with MH braking, but does when the auxiliary brake in the Jeep activates. I kind of use that to my advantage as it alerts those in the rear of some extra braking going on rather than just my stupid federally mandated brake lights coming on with the exhaust brake...all the way down the pass ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
It depends on the toads wiring of course. There is an easy way and a difficult way to wire up toads that operate like yours. The installer did you a favor by choosing the easy way, so it cost you less...probably.

There is a setup that adds a pair of tail lights and a module to separate turn from brake but I can't find the link just now...

I have a Jeep which is one the more popular toads and I recommended Blue Ox base plate and lighting system to be installer think it would work properly. I never heard of this issue and just want others to be aware of the problem when they are deciding the system they install.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the toads wiring of course. There is an easy way and a difficult way to wire up toads that operate like yours. The installer did you a favor by choosing the easy way, so it cost you less...probably.

There is a setup that adds a pair of tail lights and a module to separate turn from brake but I can't find the link just now...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wonder what the state patrol would say about that.