cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quit Camping???

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been into camping since 1979, starting with a truck camper and ending up the last ten years with a 36 foot diesel. I love the lifestyle of traveling, seeing all parts of North America from Alaska to Newfoundland and Southern Mexico to the Florida Keys. We were making plans to return to Alaska next summer when my wife decided she doesn't want to travel anymore. She says that I can go by myself, but I have to leave our two dogs with her. A big diesel is too much for one man, yet the bottom line is that I really don't want to leave my family behind. I've even suggested that I could take the dogs and travel and then she could fly up to our destination. She won't fly! Any ideas from the guys and gals out there?

Thanks.

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com
39 REPLIES 39

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
hey just cruise thru your situation that best suits both of you at the moment. life is not this or that or dead clear on the future path even though we tend to think into that future we can really know is gonna happen, live for today and take it at face value...you guys will be fine ๐Ÿ™‚

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided too let things stand for the time being. We'll camp close to home, but it's Florida so we have nice places to go on both coasts. The state parks are very reasonable and there are a lot of outdoor activities which we both like. Eventually, I may have to downsize and go on some solo trips, but no need to decide on that now. I want to thank everyone for their input. It is much appreciated and I find a lot of options I didn't see before.

Paul & Helen

FMCA 98905

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Corky12 wrote:
My usually adventuresome DH decided after 1 winter in the southwest he never wanted to snowbird again. Then it became harder and harder to get him to go on local trips. It is now apparent he is in the early stages of dementia. He can manage his life in familiar surroundings but gets terribly confused otherwise. I am still healthy and would love to be traveling at least half time but I won't put him through it. There may be something going on with your wife that is not readily apparent.

I'm sorry to hear that this had happened.

Reason I quoted it is because I see it often. One of the side effects of dementia is the fear of the unknown. As she said, you may want to pay attention to the possibility of it.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Does she do the bulk of the cooking, cleaning, packing, grocery shopping, etc?You are apparently the driver so she navigates. Would she/you trade off even for a few hours or less? Do you decide where to go or is is a joint decision or a his /choice traded off? If my hubby decides to hang it up, I will find someone who wants a partner or downsize to a smaller truck/pop up TC to explore solo. I love to travel and so does he. I wouldn't have a problem if he wanted to continue but not me, but he would probably get lost.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
There is camping, there is vacationing and there is just plain traveling. There are those who have to throw up tents, pens, clotheslines and unload cookware everywhere they go. Then there are those who pull in, plug in and they are done.
Without any more details I can only relate from my perspective. Living in a small town, we camped every two weeks. Once we bought some land with a pond, timber and away from humanity, we didn't see the point in going somewhere to do what we already had. So our trips became fewer but longer in duration. Then we began using our camper for sleeping only when we went to conferences, reunions, etc. Time, people, circumstances all change. Very few folks are doing it the same way their whole life.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Ask her why. You can't take a "corrective" path until you know the root cause. At that point you may indeed find yourselves at opposite ends. At that point you can decide what is most important to you.

Deb here, and I agree. And when you (the OP) ask her why - truly LISTEN. Like others have said, there could be something other than road-weariness going on? Or, if traveling is nothing more than the same old housework/meal planning/etc as home, (only more inconvenient..LOL!), then maybe a change of routine could help, like more dinners out? And sometimes, people just sort of become hermits as they age?

I also agree with others, half the fun of going someplace, is sharing with someone else. I can't really see myself camping solo, but going/meeting up with another group would be OK.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI go in the outdoors not because I like it, but because I have to.โ€

Me too, ppine, me too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been camping since the 1950s and still enjoy backpacking, Rvs and everything in between. My wife is not as enthused as she used to be. I go in the outdoors not because I like it, but because I have to. I take some trips without her and some with her. I am going and she is always appreciated when she comes along.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I found this topic interesting because I'm about 1 year away from trying retirement in an RV. I suppose I won't do it forever, but I might. My goal is to see the country and maybe find a place I like better than dusty ol' Dallas to spend my remaining years. So I checked out the blog link on the OP's signature. It appears that he is mid-70s. I'd say that's been a good run. It might be time to slow down (a little). I'm thinking if I keep my RV that long I may just park it somewhere nice and live in it cheap.

For me the problem is a little different. I have a wife 20 years younger and she's not ready to retire yet. But she likes the idea of travelling with me, so I may help her financially when she can't work and we may park a few months each year and let her pick up some seasonal work (and me, too). As a programmer I can be picky and take short-term contracts here and there. When you're married you have to negotiate and compromise a lot, but it can be worth it.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are winding down too, we've been blessed to go where we want when we want for 15 years but age is catching up. No more long trips and maybe no more local. Its been a mutual decision so we are blessed there too. Not tired of going just tired;). Gonna keep the little trailer for awhile longer, just in case.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Don't quit. If she says it's ok to go alone, give it a try. My partner of 41 years has never been a camper - he "camped" in Vietnam and it holds no appeal for him. I have gone solo camping for years as I love it. I don't have to worry if he is having a good time or is miserable - I can do my thing and enjoy nature. We do other trips together, which I also plan but we can both enjoy. Time apart isn't a bad thing, and the break can be beneficial for both.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
no rash decision, you guys just mull on it and chat about it and a great path if to continue rv'ing or not will come your way. When things change so much, so fast we go HUH!!!!! That HUH can make us crazy tho LOL
just chill out and think, you guys got this!

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
With us it's not the camping-camping part,...it's the comfort and convenience of traveling in our large diesel pusher. And, towing our 4x4 GMC Envoy just adds to it. We'll keep going until we can't.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
Well, some of the problem could be the pre holiday blues, but that's not all. She doesn't like my driving but I don't think I'm dangerous or too old. Sometimes she figures that she has seen it all and doesn't need to see it again. We've had some great times in Mexico where we had our laundry done and ate out most of the time. In fact, we had a very close group back then and still see some still. Living in Florida, several friends stop by for a visit. I have 50 amp service, water, and sewage disposal available. I sincerely thank all of you for your thoughts and I don't want to make a rash decision.

Paul & Helen

FMCA 98905