cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought Thor 23u

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a leftover 2017 with the e450 chassis I wanted in case of towing. Settled on this because I didn't want slides. Seen too many problems and had a couple of my own on my funmover 39c. The rv will be used In wind, rain, sand storms possible, snow possible. I'm an avid motorcycle guy, off roader, so I'll likely be carrying a 300 lbs ktm 625sxc or xr650r dual sport on hitch rack or towing an enclosed trailer with stuff or a jeep.

Anything in particular I should check Thor wise,or in general before signing away my money? Any known flaws on these newer models?

Also doesn't come with a convection microwave, any tips on who has a good one cheap? Perfectly happy doing install at home if need be, and 200w of solar.

Thanks,
Cb

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow. Holly resurrected threads, batman!
Have now owned this 23u almost 2 years. It has needed some repairs. Over all, size and function worked well, I must like it, put 20k on it.Been to numerous dirt bike trips with buddies, long family camp outs.i installed 200w solar with an inverter, we frequently dry camp. The size allows us into smaller campgrounds as predicted compared to the old funmover. We can stay on site 5,7 days three of us and have shower, holding tank capacity. Tows fine, did need heavier rear sway bar 4 sure. It has endured it all, snow, rain, occasional Ocotillo Wells sand storm just fine.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Make sure you check the housing on the tail lights. I had a Thor several years ago and the housing leaked causing a bulb to short. In checking it out the plywood behind the light (behind the fiberglass) was soaked and developed mold. The lens wasn't properly caulked and it leaked water into the rear wall. I can't tolerate mold due to lung issue and we had to end up selling it - full disclosure to the new buyers.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RCandDot
Explorer
Explorer
I have same unit 2013 , only problem was to replace those tail lights that leak. new design much nicer and sealed better.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
They must be pretty well made,they are used extensively in the Rental Market so they have to be rugged and dependable.

My Former Rental a Fleetwood Tioga has been pretty much trouble free.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
Guess what? I had a bulb go in my right side tail light. Did not see water but thought of your post! I do really like this unit.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My neighbor has one of those, a couple of years old, really nice. One night I noticed that her tail lights were out. Both of them leaked and had water trapped in there. The light assemblies had to be replaced. Other than that she uses it a lot and loves it. She's never had a breakdown of any kind.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thor Majestic 23A which is probably very similar to what you are looking at. I've had no major issues. 2 things to look at if buying used: The roof and the rear inside tires. My roof had been patched. Didn't notice it until later. Also, the rear inward and spare tires didn't have much tread on them. Didn't notice till later. I have since corrected these issues but wished I would have discovered them when doing the walk thru. Mine came w/ a micro-convection. You can probably find a decent one for a few hundred bucks.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A