cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you run the furnace while the slide is pulled in?

Tashajo
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I live in out TT most of the year. We are leaving first thing tomorrow morning to go from Pennsylvania to Arkansas. I was hoping to get everything winterize tonight so all we had to do was hop in the truck and go, but we are leaving some water in the black tank to clean it on the way home. We can use electric heaters for the night, but I was wondering if we could run our furnace so our black tank would stay warm and not freeze we will have a low of around 25 tonight. We are also stopping about half way and staying in a parking lot to rest for the night and we're wanting to run it then as well.
20 REPLIES 20

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My furnace brand new would overheat due to poor airflow through the ducts. Burner would cycle on the high limit switch and did for years. Then I added two additional ducts and all is good.

Restricted ducting can be an issue depending on the OEM layout and quality of installation.

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome has knob on some of the registers ,to reduce or stop airflow. Never had a problem!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't run the furnace with a blocked duct. It probably (but not for sure) won't start a fire but you start creating big temperature differentials that can warp things.

More importantly, it's unlikely to do enough going down the road at 60mph. Windchill will quickly cool the tanks and will blow away any residual heat off the ducts.

As others have said, pick another time to "clean" the tanks or dump some antifreeze in. Reality is you aren't going to do much cleaning unless you drive like a maniac or go off roading with the trailer. Just cruising down a smooth freeway, the water is just going to sit in place.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV furnaces are designed to expel the heat through the ducts. If one of the ducts becomes blocked, the remaining ducts will work a little harder to get the job done. In extreme cases the fire in the furnace shuts off and the fan continues to push the warm air through whatever ducts remain.
Furnace hot air is not going to burn anything to catch on fire. I accidentally block one of my vents on a regular basis with a vinyl footrest and pillow, the hot air then gets exhausted through the remaining vent and has never overheated to automatically shut down.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
25 degrees for a few hours--it will not freeze. Water with stuff in it has a lower freezing point that clean water. Add some salt, sugar, or antifreeze and lower the freezing point even more.

AS for running the furnace I would not, but my slide covers two of four vents. You need to decide if the vent covered by your slide will heat the slide bottom enough to cause a problem. No one else knows how hot your vents get or how tight the slide is to the vent.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What does your ownerโ€™s booklet say? Regardless, I wouldnโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
I'd wait for warmer weather to clean the tank.

I agree. I would not let tank cleaning be the reason for putting water in the tank and running the heat:h
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wait for warmer weather to clean the tank.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Yep that's exactly why I suggested draining the tank...... but oh well I guess even though I've been RV ing....
most my life... I guess I don't know anything
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
25? I would do nothing. I don't think the tank will freeze. Flush with hot water if you like. I would be far more inclined to run the furnace overnight vs on the road.

Doubt it will matter either way. Super clean black tank is overrated.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tashajo wrote:
We're putting a treatment in it to clean it, not just the water.
Many try putting ice in there too, but it has minimal effect. But good luck. I guess you don't have a flusher on yours.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I would add some pink antifreeze to the mix.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Tashajo
Explorer
Explorer
We're putting a treatment in it to clean it, not just the water.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tashajo wrote:
We want the water to slush around while we drive and clean the tank.
I wouldn't count on that doing much.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman