cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaw Direct Satellite settings in the USA

wayne1234
Explorer
Explorer
Do any Canadians know of a site where I could go to find specific settings for Shaw Direct satellite dish? There used to be one but I can't find it anymore
Thank you,
Wayne
16 REPLIES 16

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
When you have a dual tuner receiver like the 600 series, both sats (T1 and T2) strength are shown in the tune satellite screen. If you have signal strength on only one satellite then you are likely pointed to 111 and should try moving slightly east to 107 or visa-versa. The older 500 series receivers only showed the strength on the channel you had set and if you found that several channels did not come in then you were likely aimed at the wrong satellite. This is with the quad LNB of course, the most common one for several years. I don't believe there would be much difference with the newest lnb that will also pick up the 3rd dish for additional HD channels. I use a motorized roof mounted Motosat dish that doesn't work automatically anymore. I have modified it so that I control the motors to aim at the satellites. I spend most of my winters in Arizona and summers in BC and Alberta. I use Dishpointer.com at times to know where I should be looking and then the receiver to fine tune the signal. FYI, skew is the last thing I adjust if I think I need a better signal. It all depends on your longitude as to how much skew would be desirable.

Sorry for being so long winded and I hope I have helped clarify a few things.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
One other hint: if you have a dual tuner receiver, tune it to a channel on F1 then onto a channel on F2. That way when you look at maxing signal strength, you see both sats.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
You only need the one skew number that is indicated for dual satellites
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html

However you have to make sure that your tripod is perfectly level if you want ease in finding the satellites.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's interesting. When I put in Starchoice (Shaw Direct), I only get one skew number.

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
Dishpointer tells you the skew to set for each of the 2 sat's. Put it in the middle of those 2 numbers. I adjust it until I get the highest reading on the receiver setting for tuning in the satellite. It is pretty forgiving and generally makes only a slightly higher reading and very little picture difference. What exactly are you trying to 'calculate' beyond the dishpointer setting and why?
Roy

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll give you the numbers but I need to know where you are.

wayne1234
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. The problem I'm having now is how to calculate the skewer.
I have an email to the satellite dish pointer people, I can't seem to figure that one out, unless someone has that answer for me. Anik-2 and Wildblue are virtually the same satellite for Shaw Direct.
Thanks,
Wayne

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fizz wrote:
Tough crowd

Anik-2 Wildblue, look it up.

OK I looked it up. Wildblue is a two-way satellite internet service that shares bandwidth with ONE of the Shaw Direct birds. NOT what the OP asked about. He need to point at TWO birds.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
This should be what you are looking for Wayne.

http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Tough crowd

Anik-2 Wildblue, look it up.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fizz wrote:
You're looking for the satellite Wildblue at Lat 111.1
What do you mean by "Wildblue"? I've never heard that term before.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Fizz wrote:

Just for the record, there is no Lattitude greater than 90 degrees. I believe the poster meant Longitude 111.1. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Besides, it's 111 AND 107.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:

Just for the record, there is no Lattitude greater than 90 degrees. I believe the poster meant Longitude 111.1. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
With dishpointer.com you can zoom right in to your site and see exactly which direction to point and all you need to do is get the elevation set. I use it when I am not sure where south is - IE. arriving at night.
Roy