cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sliding Hitch: Do I need one???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to move up to a 5th wheel in the near future and will need to get a new truck as well (probably a new Ford F-350 diesel). I am still torn between a long and short bed truck. The long bed has plenty of practical advantages, but the short beds are more readily available around here and would seem to be a lot easier as a daily driver. The 5th wheel I get will be a brand new one so it will have the rounded front design of the newer trailers. The companies I am leaning toward is either Open Range or Jayco.

So if I do get a short bed truck with one of these trailers...do I need a slider hitch? That is a negative point against a short bed truck for me.

I have read some posts that say that you really don't need a slider hitch with the newer 5th wheel campers. Seems reasonable, but I would hate to find out the hard way that I need a slider after putting the nose of my camper through my back window.

Of course I could just go with a long bed truck which will have much appreciated extra cargo capacity and other advantages, but I am not sure if the extra 1.5 feet of cargo space will outweigh the added parking and maneuvering challenges I will experience while using it as a daily driver which will be 90% of its use.

thanks for your help

matt
32 REPLIES 32

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think I needed a slider until last Monday. Backing into spot next to the house when the height difference between the driveway and street "got me". Turning on flat ground is one thing, throw some angle into it, and you get to see what a 2017 Super Duty rear window costs..

I think this is the real answer to most, but not all of our rigs. I have a slider that I have never used, but what worries me is I am so used to not using it that I will not think to use it when needed.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

retskc
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my new truck, I wanted a long bed but my DW wanted a short bed. The rv we have has the rounded front cap which is made for towing with a short bed. So I went with the standard bed. I have campion hitch not a slider, and have had no problems towing or backing into space with the new truck. The new truck pulls the fiver better than the old long bed that I had. Love the Chevy Silverado High Country
USN retired (Chief StoreKeeper
2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD High Country
2015 Big Horn 3570RS

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I didn't think I needed a slider until last Monday. Backing into spot next to the house when the height difference between the driveway and street "got me". Turning on flat ground is one thing, throw some angle into it, and you get to see what a 2017 Super Duty rear window costs..

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
bowler1 wrote:
Agree about the advantages of a bigger tank which is a selling point for a long bed, but my understanding is that both long and short bed f350s this year have a 43 gallon tank.

F350 short box have a 34 gallon tank for 2017.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have gotten by without a slider for years and don't consider it an issue. I do not want an 8 foot box. I would buy a 6.5 foot box with an automatic slider before getting a long box or any kind of manual slider.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Wish my 2016 F350 had the 43 gallon tank, that additional 17 gallons would be great, and save me $1700 for the replacement tank.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
Agree about the advantages of a bigger tank which is a selling point for a long bed, but my understanding is that both long and short bed f350s this year have a 43 gallon tank.

I see you been doing some home work. That echo of long bed/little tank will probably be here forever. it does not apply mostly now.

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Bowler1

I would give you one more thought, with a long bed F350 you will get a much larger fuel tank, and as I have found out 26 gallons in my short bed F350 is very small.

I have a BW Patriot slider in my short bed, for just in case, but now I am looking at a 50 gallon replacement tank.

My recommendation would be a long bed F350.

Keith

sbergherr
Explorer
Explorer
We originally bought a B&W slider hitch for my short bed F350. Had a great deal on a F350 dually come in, so I jumped on it. Which of course is a long bed. Kept the slider and I love it. Can slide the hitch back and hitch up with the tailgate down. With the slide forward need two people 1 to help with tailgate and the other to
back the truck. Just my opinion.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I like my 22 year old manual slider especially when maneuvering in tight situations.
Flip the handle moves the pin 11" behind the trucks rear axle makes for less steering wheel input especially while backing.

For years we towed GN/5th wheel trailers with a regular 5th wheel hitch in our short bed trucks as we had no sliding hitches. As mentioned look at the trailers front corner profile and simply determine what is or isn't needed. You either need a hitch system for a short bed or you don't.
My next hitch will be a Andersen or the PullRite Superlite ISR hitch system
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We we have a manual slider. I use it every time we get home to back in. The parking spot I have along my house is fine, just getting the turn into the spot around the transformer, mailbox and block wall on opposite side. We have also used it like said above to get into tight camp spots. We don't need it to clear the cab, but it does move the pivot point back about a foot, so that is a biggie to be. We all have our own comfort zone. Do what you think is best. I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it. Good Luck & Be Safe! ! !

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you plan to tow.

If you ever plan to use some of the forest service campgrounds in the western US then you will probably need a slider.

I have been in several that I would not try without sliding my trailer back with my short bed truck.

Sliding back allows more trailer to bed rail clearance when going through gullies that are common in forest service campgrounds for water drainage in the campground.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a 5ver for 10 years and have never used my slider but I guess it's nice to have if for some reason I do need it. My only issue is I've neglected it over the years and it probably will not work if I need it.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L