cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrowed down to 3 and the research begins

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at 5th wheels we decided to stay with travel trailers since we can get everything we want and still be below our weight limits. After looking we have narrowed down to these three...

Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS - on the Reflection FB page and seems they like the Reflection line. Didn't read to many issues. Saw the unit at a local dealer yesterday and really liked it.

Jayco Eagle 338RETS - Haven't seen this specific unit but a local dealer has the Eagle brand. Like this floor plan with the optional island and large open space.

Highland Ridge Open Range OT323RLS - this one is similar to the Grand Design but the GD seems to have a lot more storage. Other than that they appear pretty close.

Looking for a cold weather durable trailer, insulation, heated underbelly and tanks. We are going to the camping show this month and hope to see these units. Will spend a good amount of time in each one before we make a decision.

I know that no trailer is perfect but does anyone have any "glaring" issues with any of these manufacturers?

Mike
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller
24 REPLIES 24

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
love2rvcamp wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Have you checked out Arctic Fox? Northwood, while a smaller mfg builds RVs on in house frames and are reputed to be among the best built in the industry.

We looked at them via web site but closest dealer is 360 miles away. Not sure what to do if any warranty work needed to be done.

Most all the components in any TT are the same brands and models as in other brand of TT's. Warranty work can be done by any certified shop, no matter what they sell. Even chassis and structure repairs are similar to any other brand.

Let's look at it a different way.... You buy from a backyard dealer. Now you are 700 miles away on a camping excursion when you have a major failure that requires warranty work.... say a axle problem so that you cannot tow it 700 miles back home to get your local backyard dealer to get it worked on. What do you do? You have any nearby certified trailer repair shop do what your own shop would do. Analyze the problem, call the manufacturer for a warranty repair authorization, and then fix it.

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
csjag1 wrote:
We use the 1400/14,000 Equalizer 4-point hitch on our 315RLTS. Has the typical Equalizer "noise", but does a wonderful job of controlling sway and stability. We pull ours with Chevy 2500/Duramax and it handles the big 315 great.

Thanks, I have a 2013 F250 6.2 so don't think I will have issues towing. Currently our Equalizer is 1000/10000 pound rating. I know I will have to upgrade.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
We use the 1400/14,000 Equalizer 4-point hitch on our 315RLTS. Has the typical Equalizer "noise", but does a wonderful job of controlling sway and stability. We pull ours with Chevy 2500/Duramax and it handles the big 315 great.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Yeah, we are going to lose the two nightstands by putting in the king bed.

I currently have the Reese Dual Cam and am going to transfer that to the new rig and see how it goes. I know there is a decent chance I will need to upgrade the hitch, though.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Indycamp wrote:

We currently have a Rockwood. We are looking at the same set up as you. The one we looked at the other day had 2 AC's and we want the queen bed (what we have here at the house) so that we have the nightstands. If we see one that has a king we might option that. We would also add the slide toppers, have them on the Rockwood and would't leave home without them. This unit seems well built and customer service seems to be top notch.

What hitch system have you decided on? I have read that the hitch weight can be as high as 1600 - 1700 lbs. We have been talking about the ProPride to replace the Equalizer that we currently have when we do upgrade to a new trailer.

Congratulations on your new GD.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We just went to the Indianapolis RV Expo and made a deal on a 2018 Grand Design 315RLST.

We first saw that trailer at last year's show and loved it then. We spent another camping season in our current Rockwood, went back to the show this year, and decided to buy the Grand Design. Of course, my wife had downed four glasses of wine at the RV show, so that made it easier to pull the trigger. 😉

It seems to be an awesome rig. We are changing out the bed for a king, having the MORyde steps put in, adding a second air conditioner, and putting on slide toppers.

I'm pretty pumped. It is a really nice trailer.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies.

We have had eyes on all three now and right at this moment we really like the Grand Design but a close second the Open Range.

Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Highland Ridge Open Range OT323RLS
Jayco Eagle 338RETS

Still doing research and browsing the forums but thanks again for all the replies here.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS

Candie4749
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2017 Jayco Jay Flight has been at the dealer for almost three months now and is still not fixed. There is an issue with one of the slide outs, it leans downward and Jayco initially placed the blame on Lippert who made the slide and after a ton of photos were sent it was determined that the issue is the construction of the unit. This is very concerning and Jayco is dragging their feet and making one excuse after the other. We are not happy with Jayco at all.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
Have you looked at Lance? They are true 4 season, built with Azdel in the walls, etc

Lance Factory Tour

Lance Heated Enclosed Tanks

Heated Systems in Lance

Looks like the OP is looking for a large floor plan trailer. All of Lance's trailers are small inside.

Upon reflexion, yes!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
To reply to the OP's original question, my wife & I bought a Grand Design 315RLST almost a year ago. We looked at a Jayco, and decided that Grand Design's reputation for exceptional customer service and overall appearance of the 315 put it on top for us. We have not regretted that decision for a moment. Sure, we have had a couple of minor issues, but our dealer, in cooperation with Grand Design, have taken care of everything quickly and cheerfully. Recommended without any reservation.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Open Range. Not your model though, so no info there. You can ask on the OpenRange owners forum for people with the model your looking at, and get some good advice.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Have you looked at Lance? They are true 4 season, built with Azdel in the walls, etc

Lance Factory Tour

Heated Systems in Lance

Looks like the OP is looking for a large floor plan trailer. All of Lance's trailers are small inside.

My brother in law just purchased his Jayco 338RETS this past summer.

So far he loves it, and I have to say that if I ever go back to a TT, that will be my first look.. then probably a Grand Design Product second.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:

Lance Factory Tour

Heated Systems in Lance

Cold Winter Camping With Lance!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!