Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1000w inverter install
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't just buy an inverter using round numbers....add up the wattage of what you want to power, and buy one that will do the job. Remember that the bigger the inverter, the more you can run, and the faster it will suck your batteries dry.

I got a 150w pure sine inverter and installed it with this 15a auto transfer switch.

Here's the post on my inverter install.

I've since upgraded the converter/charger to a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard, so I can restore the batteries with only a brief runtime when we are boondocking.

It's also a good idea to install a voltage meter if you don'y have one...I use it along with this chart to monitor battery charge:

[image]

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

judelaurenzo25g

Downey, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Don't just buy an inverter using round numbers....add up the wattage of what you want to power, and buy one that will do the job. Remember that the bigger the inverter, the more you can run, and the faster it will suck your batteries dry.

I got a 150w pure sine inverter and installed it with this 15a auto transfer switch.

Here's the post on my inverter install.

I've since upgraded the converter/charger to a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard, so I can restore the batteries with only a brief runtime when we are boondocking.

It's also a good idea to install a voltage meter if you don'y have one...I use it along with this chart to monitor battery charge:

[image]

According to my calculations I'd be using around 155w.
LCD TV: 120w
Receiver: 10w
SWM Power Adapter: 25w

I'll likely go with a 300w inverter now that I've done my calculations.

Thanks,
JL

A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good choice, that will also give you a little headroom for cell phone chargers, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS