Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: "Dry Weight" Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> "Dry Weight" Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never use the GVWR to see if I can tow it. I go by the dry weight plus 12-1500lbs. This will get me close to the actual ready to travel weight. In my case my trailers CCC is 4100lbs, no it’s not a toy hauler! It just has a lot of CCC. Dry is 7100lbs, GVWR is 11,200lbs.

Add 1500lbs to the dry weight that will get you your ready to travel weight.

And yes my dry weight stickers are all accurate!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weighed our KZ TT on the way home from the dealer and it weighed 190 lbs more than the sticker on the inside of a cabinet door. We ordered some heavier options (solid surface counters, eg.) and I suspect their published UVW was an average or a baseline figure and they don't actually weigh each unit.

The weight of ALL cargo fully loaded for camping for two for our 29' TT came to only 555 lbs. That's all the usual cargo anyone would have like BBQ, chocks, sewer stuff, outdoor mat, snap-up brackets, kitchen stuff + food, stuff in bathroom, lots of misc. stuff under the bed, some books and DVDs, etc., etc... I would say allowing 1,000 lbs is more than ample unless maybe full-timing, going on a very long trip, have a large family and/or the TT is long.

People give all sorts of figures for the weight of cargo in the 1K-3K range. Some brands and models of TTs have a high CCC and some have low CCC. Using the GVWR is a good thing for shopping to be conservative and weighing your TT after fully loaded is a good idea to know where you're at. The weight of holding tank contents (8.3 lbs/gal.) can really throw things off and in some cases even put you over the GVWR. GVWR is a good number for determining what rating of WDH to get. Modifications & upgrades will add more weight (likely under 200 lbs). If towing with a tank of fresh water, some FW tanks are ahead of the axles and can have an impact on the TW and towing.

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/18 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya better have more truck than what you THINK.

MY DRV came to me 18,075#. The GVWR IS 21K. So one could estimate a max realistic pin of 5,250# @25% pin. Not oh no! My loaded RV weighs 23k with 25% pin at 5,750# or more.

Know your real world truck axle weights to determine what the rear axle can CARRY.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> "Dry Weight" Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS