cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument Valley

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Afterwards taking in Monument Valley and the East Entrance to the South Rim.

What's the best route (scenic but not too mountainous) from North Rim?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
6 REPLIES 6

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Utah has to have some of the best Boondocking check out the Valley of the God's Area.

and our view!

James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
You could do the North Rim then the South Rim then Monument Valley and work yourself north to Canyonland and Arches National Parks if you have the time.

I'm not sure why you would backtrack to the South Rim unless you're finished touring and will return home.

Anyway.... from the North Rim to Monument Valley, take 89 to Page and continue south on 89 to AZ 160 (Tuba City). At Kayenta pick up AZ163 taking you to Monument Valley. There are only two places to stay right there - Gouldings for hookups and at the Monument Valley Visitor Center/Entrance is a dry campground. Both are expensive.

To get back to the South Rim just backtrack to AZ 89 south and pick up 64 at Cameron (the East Entrance to the park).

Have a good trip!

While the campgrounds near Monument Valley are expensive, 50 minutes north of the valley is Goosenecks State Park, low cost dry camping on the edge of a set of goosenecks:

View from a campsite -

If you are willing to camp a bit further away from Monument Valley, the Valley of the Gods is similar, and allows dry camping all along the 17 mile road through the valley:
Valley of the Gods Camping

There is lots to do in the area - do a Google search for hikes, ruins, etc.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If you are in to bird watching, go by way of Alt 89 North Rim to South Rim and stop and see the condors at Navajo Bridge.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I did the South Rim a few years ago before we were RVers. Did the train from Williams. Great trip. Shuttle doesn't go to the East Gate so we didn't see the watchtower.

Now she wants to do the North Rim so I thought I would add in the other stuff I mentioned.

Oh, that other trip I call the "holes in the ground tour" as we also visited the Caverns of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, Roswell UFO museum (you can see my cousins in there), and Carlsbad Cavern.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 89A is the best route. From North Rim east, the highway drops down a fairly long grade.
It doesn't really matter which way you go there is down hill grades. That means they are uphill toward the North Rim.
Once you get down, it is fairly flat.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You could do the North Rim then the South Rim then Monument Valley and work yourself north to Canyonland and Arches National Parks if you have the time.

I'm not sure why you would backtrack to the South Rim unless you're finished touring and will return home.

Anyway.... from the North Rim to Monument Valley, take 89 to Page and continue south on 89 to AZ 160 (Tuba City). At Kayenta pick up AZ163 taking you to Monument Valley. There are only two places to stay right there - Gouldings for hookups and at the Monument Valley Visitor Center/Entrance is a dry campground. Both are expensive.

To get back to the South Rim just backtrack to AZ 89 south and pick up 64 at Cameron (the East Entrance to the park).

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel