cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was just gifted a RV. Excited but worried. 80 dodge jamboree

adelii
Explorer
Explorer
So I have been telling my wife that when I turn 40, I am going to buy an RV. I am currently 37. While having a family get together my wife started going on about how I was going to get one in 3 years, when her father told me he had one in his yard and he would give it to me.

Of course I accepted. Its a fixer upper for sure. A 1980 dodge sportsman Jamboree. It has a queen bed above the cab and a bathroom in the rear of the rv. I am super excited but just realized. I know nothing about RVing.

I got into this 3 years earlier then expected. So here I am. Trying to learn as much as possible. I am going to pick it tommorrow and get it to my house to start cleaning it and figuring everything out.

All I have so far is the vin and a few pictures. I hope I get all the help I need here. and where to start. The vin is not 17 characters

f44cd9v720442

Thanks
73 REPLIES 73

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
OUTSTANDING:

Wish I were there to help you fix it up or maybe completely restoring her. First thing, I would address is finding a location where you can work on it over time. Next, remove all bedding. cloth curtains as to MOLE working with a face mask, NO JOKE. MAKING NOTE AS TO SIZING, then closing exam walls and spray it down as best you can with BLEACH a good mold killer. CLEAN OUT WATER HOLDING TANKS with BLEACH as well as replacing water hoses.

Then I would address what needs care under the hood, Tires, older trucks are much easier to work on. BUT Hey have fun lots to be done and the best part you own nothing. You may also want to work up the easement for yourself before putting a lot of money into it for any kind of a future return.

Here is some extra Information I found for you on the web:
1980 Dodge Plymouth, Fargo Desoto Plan Number #6606
VIN: F44 C09 V72 0442

This may be an AMAZON Book you may want to buy you just for the Truck part alone showing here for 1980:

Here is the AMAZON LINK to working on the 1980 Dodge Truck part of your RV

This will help you to fully understand the VIN Number as to Make, Model, Engine type and Much more good stuff you will need I'm sure.

254-Page VIN PDF

In closing, I think you will find the 294-page information on the VIN number very helpful. From what I read that had or still has a wonderful engine.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
4x4van wrote:
BTW, just in case you weren't aware, the lug nuts on your right rear are reverse thread

The reverse (lefty tightie righty loosie) threads would be on the LEFT or Driver side. On our 1971 Dodge Van, both Lefts were Left Thread. I replaced the front drum brakes with disc from a 1974, leaving lefty threads on only the left rear. I felt that was going to cause problems at tire shops so I pounded them out and replaced with righty.

Our first Class C was on 1983 Ford E350, and its left had lefty too. Hard to remember now, but I think it was only left rear duals.
Hmmm...I "thought" it was the right rear on my old '79 E350, but it appears you are right; it was the left rear.:C
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
BTW, just in case you weren't aware, the lug nuts on your right rear are reverse thread

The reverse (lefty tightie righty loosie) threads would be on the LEFT or Driver side. On our 1971 Dodge Van, both Lefts were Left Thread. I replaced the front drum brakes with disc from a 1974, leaving lefty threads on only the left rear. I felt that was going to cause problems at tire shops so I pounded them out and replaced with righty.

Our first Class C was on 1983 Ford E350, and its left had lefty too. Hard to remember now, but I think it was only left rear duals.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, heck of a job. Looks like nice work so far.

BTW, just in case you weren't aware, the lug nuts on your right rear are reverse thread (that caused me a bit of cussing prior to learning that!!):D
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
well i think it will look a bit more modern when iam done, i have also removed the recess that the back had for the rear window to round it off as well
the front only took me a couple of days to make up, the worse part was all the framing in the front, then bending the plywood to shape. this is the inside view showing the framing , not sure what iam going to do with the opening as yet, thinking maybe tv one end, cupboards, or shelf

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
well that front window is kinda gone now though changed the front to this now,
we had some rot problems so been rebuilding the outside of the motorhome, and modifying the kitchen table area as we found the original table quite small
Oh, bummer; those Roll-a-Longs really had a unique look to them, although I understand the rebuild. Looking good; hopefully it all works out for you.:)

Zieman Jetski Trailer

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
well that front window is kinda gone now though changed the front to this now,
we had some rot problems so been rebuilding the outside of the motorhome, and modifying the kitchen table area as we found the original table quite small

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
i still want to install a co/ propane monitor into our 77 rollalong, have been replacing all the fluorescent lights with led strips to reduce the load on the battery since we have been going to non hydro camp grounds.
Our first RV was a Roll-a-Long! 1979 23' Huntington model. Great quality coaches, for sure, with a unique look (the split/wrap-around overhead window)! :C

Zieman Jetski Trailer

adelii
Explorer
Explorer
PatJ wrote:
Great project! For many many years I had a 67 chassis mount Travel Queen camper on a 75 Chevy chassis. About 9 years ago I upgraded to an 84 Lindy C on Chevy chassis. Could afford (to finance) better/newer but it would do the exact same thing mine does and I would have a payment - no thank you. My old rigs have been all over the country many times over. Lack of payment just lets you buy more gas!

My rigs are old but both had a few upgrades I highly recommend - several have already been mentioned:

1. Battery CO detector and hardwire propane leak detector correctly installed. (I assume you have a pair of smoke detectors already)

2. Remove & dispose the 30+ year old converter and install something modern. I use a Progressive Dynamics 9260. Unit will pay for itself eventually with the longer house battery lifespan, and can be transferred to another rig if you ever upgrade.

3. Make sure you don't have a "Federal Pacific" (a.k.a. FPE) brand electrical panel installed. If you do, google it. Upgrade as required. Can probably upgrade to a cheap GE panel from Lowes for less than $50.

4. Get a pair of good quality fire extinguishers and mount somewhere you can find them quickly, one up front one near back exit. I recommend a pair of quality 5# American-made refillable ABC. Can be moved to another vehicle if you ever upgrade.

5. Like you are already doing, do the chassis tune-up and replace the belts and hoses etc as required. Grease, fluids, check for issues, etc. Carry spare belts and a way to band-aid hoses. Sounds like you have this under control so I won't go into any detail.

6. Everything else just adds to your camping story! You will learn as you go what is priority.

Have fun and enjoy! Make great family memories!

On edit - if you buy a brand new rig today, it will only be new for that instant. In a few short years, it will need everything yours does now. You being able to do maintenance and work by yourself makes all the difference. Congrats!

Thanks for the help and the reply, I love the positivity. I am working on everything you talked about. I was really trying to do everything fast, because i was so excited. But i have started to take a step back and slow down. I still have a long time to get all the things ready. I am pretty confident in the rig running and not breaking down right now. But i dont have a grasp on the home part. I have set up an appointment to get a safety inspection done on the rv. Included appliances, electrical, water sources, and a leak test. Im hoping it wont be to bad. I do want to make this rig safe and avoid to many headaches so we dont hate rving.

Thanks again for the reply, I will be posting pics of upgrades as i go.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
i still want to install a co/ propane monitor into our 77 rollalong, have been replacing all the fluorescent lights with led strips to reduce the load on the battery since we have been going to non hydro camp grounds.

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great project! For many many years I had a 67 chassis mount Travel Queen camper on a 75 Chevy chassis. About 9 years ago I upgraded to an 84 Lindy C on Chevy chassis. Could afford (to finance) better/newer but it would do the exact same thing mine does and I would have a payment - no thank you. My old rigs have been all over the country many times over. Lack of payment just lets you buy more gas!

My rigs are old but both had a few upgrades I highly recommend - several have already been mentioned:

1. Battery CO detector and hardwire propane leak detector correctly installed. (I assume you have a pair of smoke detectors already)

2. Remove & dispose the 30+ year old converter and install something modern. I use a Progressive Dynamics 9260. Unit will pay for itself eventually with the longer house battery lifespan, and can be transferred to another rig if you ever upgrade.

3. Make sure you don't have a "Federal Pacific" (a.k.a. FPE) brand electrical panel installed. If you do, google it. Upgrade as required. Can probably upgrade to a cheap GE panel from Lowes for less than $50.

4. Get a pair of good quality fire extinguishers and mount somewhere you can find them quickly, one up front one near back exit. I recommend a pair of quality 5# American-made refillable ABC. Can be moved to another vehicle if you ever upgrade.

5. Like you are already doing, do the chassis tune-up and replace the belts and hoses etc as required. Grease, fluids, check for issues, etc. Carry spare belts and a way to band-aid hoses. Sounds like you have this under control so I won't go into any detail.

6. Everything else just adds to your camping story! You will learn as you go what is priority.

Have fun and enjoy! Make great family memories!

On edit - if you buy a brand new rig today, it will only be new for that instant. In a few short years, it will need everything yours does now. You being able to do maintenance and work by yourself makes all the difference. Congrats!
Patrick

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
i agree, the seeming smallest thing can open up a big hornets nest real quick, i was trying to install an outside outlet in our class c.. had the back corner come apart, then one thing has led to another I now have replace the complete roof. and all of the walls due to wood rot.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware that 3500 w will be minimal at best. You will in all likelihood not able to run ac and microwave at same time since the 3500 is peak watts. Look for something a little bigger and with remote start like champion has/had since you will not be wanting to go outside to start in inclement weather. I had a 3500 unit from champion, remote elec start on my TT since we wanted to be able to cool the unit when traveling in hot weather. It was a rv setup with 30 amp but the techs at champion were the ones to tell me about the ability to run high draw items together with it. Check camp world they sell champions or look at amazon etc 1st.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Adel, I agree with with those that think it is a great opportunity to learn about motorized RVs and something you can have fun with. ronfisherman has given you a truly invalueable link in these forums about Dodge powered MoHos.

I'm 77 and I'd take on the challenge if I had the opportunity and it was usable as is. My only concern is if there is rain damage from leakage around any opening. That might be beyond my capabilities.

I will have 99 percent of our S&B refurbishing done next month and will be looking for a similar project in a "C" or bumper pull 50's or 60's trailer.

Good luck and keep on, keeping on, start files with all you learn for the future. You'll be getting another rig someday.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II