cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A insurance

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping around for coverage and quoted one that was recommended on a site National General. They were over 6000 a month....really? I have USAA for my cars and love them. Been with them for over 40 years. They do not do RV's and sent me to progressive, their RV partner. Progressive quoted about 700 a year. Any suggestions on other insurance companies I should shop. Any comments on how good or bad Progressive is? One thing about USAA is they have been great with any claim I have had. Saving money on insurance does no good if they are a hassle when I have a problem....
27 REPLIES 27

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Progressive full-timers policy. No road service offered thru S Dakota, so we have Coachnet for that. We haven't filed any claims, but satisfied with service and rates. Our rates have remained about the same for 3 years.

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I was quoted $900 /yr with Progressive. Incl roadside service. Sounds reasonable to me.
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bclinton wrote:
Shopping around for coverage and quoted one that was recommended on a site National General. They were over 6000 a month....really? I have USAA for my cars and love them. Been with them for over 40 years. They do not do RV's and sent me to progressive, their RV partner. Progressive quoted about 700 a year. Any suggestions on other insurance companies I should shop. Any comments on how good or bad Progressive is? One thing about USAA is they have been great with any claim I have had. Saving money on insurance does no good if they are a hassle when I have a problem....

We only deal with companies that take care of all our vehicles and have found it wise to shop around, every so often. Presently with Allstate, but truthfully, we've never had much trouble with any of them. Any nonsense, just call the insurance commissioner and file a complaint. However, letting them know of this beforehand, will probably save the call.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was warned about using your vehicle insurance company for roadside assistance, like Progressive. I was told that every time you call them, it is counted as a CLAIM, which shows up on your record that all insurance companies can see, and may affect your rates in the future.
Much better to have an ERS company like Good Sams or CoachNet to keep your insurance claims to a minimum.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a hit and miss with any road service company. They all share the same resources, but those resources can get lean and expertise low in some areas. We had to be towed in Denver by GS and they showed up with a triple axle rotator and did the job like experts, but the next town I may not get the same experience, even using the same GS.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
bclinton wrote:

Let me ask you? Is the road side assistance that I got with Progressive good enough? Does it have pretty good coverage in line with the good sam club?

Here's my experience with Progressive Roadside on a Class A Motorhome.

Had a rear tire blowout on an Interstate. Fortunately, it happened as I was approaching an exit and I was able to get off the freeway and into a parking lot. I called Progressive and got what sounded like a teenage girl who literally did not know what a motorhome was. After about 5 minutes I think she finally understood that we were talking about tire service like on a BUS or SEMI type of service. Next she spent time looking for service providers and kept trying to send me to RV dealerships for service. I kept telling her that I needed something like that which would be provided to a semi-truck driver or greyhound bus...no spare...I needed someone that could bring a large tire replacement and change it on the rim. She was entirely lost and finally I just gave up. I called my son-in-law, who runs a trucking company's shop, told him where I was, and he gave me the name of a service. I called them and in 45 minutes the tire was changed out and I was on my way....AFTER I got online in the motorhome and signed up once again for Good Sam roadside.

Progressive was worthless. Maybe if you have a pickup towing a trailer you're OK, or if you have a motorhome with a spare. But they knew nothing about large motorhome tire change out service.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to believe, but i ended up going with Safeco anyway, with a different agent who was very helpful and really explained everything to me the correct way and now i feel more comfortable about it. Thanks for the input.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Safeco - they were competitive and no issues, but I haven't had any real claims.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bclinton wrote:
strudeau wrote:
Just received my letter from Blue Sky stating that they were getting out of the RV market.

Called Good Sam and they quoted me a policy that was $800 more per year than what I had been paying, this quote was through National General. He went on to tell me that โ€œyou pay more for our insurance, but weโ€™ll never go out of business like the other guys.โ€ He said he could quote me a policy through Progressive, but it would be more expensive. I told Him he was too high on his quote, he promised to work some numbers and call me back the next day. Overnight his quote went up $200 and the dollar values were unchanged.

I ended up calling Progressive my self and getting the same dollar value policy I had through Blue Sky. This was nearly $1K less than Good Sams quote. All for the piece of mind of knowing theyโ€™ll never go out of business. I believe him, at those prices theyโ€™ll be in business forever.

I wonder why companies are getting out? You would think the claim stats are not too bad and it would be profitable....

I'm guessing that it has to do with the recent hurricane damage to numerous RV's in Texas and Florida and other States along the East Coast.

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Safeco also and they have a lot of bad reviews kinda scared me
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
badboy368 wrote:
WOW...what timing. Just found out that NATIONAL INTERSTATE is getting out of the RV ins market. Now i am scrambling to find a new carrier. It is really exhausting. Looking for good coverage not the cheapest price. Any of your thoughts would be helpful.

I also had National Interstate for years and my agent has been switching to Safeco. Priced like NI , maybe a little cheaper !. May want to check them out !!
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
strudeau wrote:
Just received my letter from Blue Sky stating that they were getting out of the RV market.

Called Good Sam and they quoted me a policy that was $800 more per year than what I had been paying, this quote was through National General. He went on to tell me that โ€œyou pay more for our insurance, but weโ€™ll never go out of business like the other guys.โ€ He said he could quote me a policy through Progressive, but it would be more expensive. I told Him he was too high on his quote, he promised to work some numbers and call me back the next day. Overnight his quote went up $200 and the dollar values were unchanged.

I ended up calling Progressive my self and getting the same dollar value policy I had through Blue Sky. This was nearly $1K less than Good Sams quote. All for the piece of mind of knowing theyโ€™ll never go out of business. I believe him, at those prices theyโ€™ll be in business forever.

I wonder why companies are getting out? You would think the claim stats are not too bad and it would be profitable....

strudeau
Explorer
Explorer

Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
USAA dropped my RV coverage when I traded the old one for a new one. Same with my boat. I'm in Florida, and they simply stopped insuring RV's and boats, except for grandfathered. They didn't offer a partner company for coverage either. I'm a 60 year member.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS