Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: SUV tent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> SUV tent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wiloran

Sparks, NV

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have fun! Will appreciate hearing how it worked out.

mountainkowboy

Socal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worked like a champ...WAY NICER than sleeping on the ground. Maybe it's because were both gettin older, but getting out of the back of the truck is better than pushing yourself up off the ground. Then again this is the first tent that we've had that you can stand in. Setup was pretty straight forward and under normal conditions would take about 20 minutes, but we were meet by 25-30 mph winds with 50-60 mph gusts...so everything took 4 times longer to get done. There are some tweaks we need to do to the truck to make it into a better bedroom with more privacy and better light control, but the "Airbedz" mattress makes it comfy.. We were setup for 4 days and 3 nights and brought another tent and sleeping gear setup for the kids who visited us for the weekend. We are already planning our next outing.

I would HIGHLY recommend this style of tent camping to anyone who wants to do it. The Napier 84000 2 room tent worked flawlessly and is a very well made product. The only thing I didn't like was that the screen room doesn't have a floor, but we are going to modify a HD tarp to go under the whole setup. This style of tent offers a huge amount of room for camping and with the ability to disconnect the truck and still close the tent up makes it a REALLY versatile home base.

[image]

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
Tent camping again
06 Honda CR-V
11 Ford Ranger
63 IH Scout 80

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience goes back to station wagon tents, 1950s. It depends on how much trouble it is to use the vehicle without taking down the tent, and how badly do you want to sleep on the floor of your car instead of in the tent.

For geology field trips, I ultimately opted for an external-frame 7x7 umbrella tent, about 10 minutes to set up or take down (even in the dark, raining), so I could leave it in place when out doing field work. That was about $50 in 1970, equivalent to several hundred today, which will buy a really good tent. Today's tents tend to be a bit more hassle, complex frames of lightweight tubing, non-weatherproof lightweight fabrics needing rain protection, but at the equivalent of what I payed almost 50 years ago, you can get into equivalent "outfitter" tents, providing you are working from a car, not backpacking.

Now I am in a full-size van, and if I want to sleep in the van, I don't need to attach a tent. I might still bring the umbrella tent, for campsite storage and maybe a private space for a portable toilet.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mountainkowboy

Socal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be heading to Oregon next month and will be using our Napier SUV tent again. We've "customized" a heavy duty tarp for under the tent/screen-room by adding eyelets for all the spike loops on it, so setup should be much quicker this time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> SUV tent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS