cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing florescent to l e d that look like florescent

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to get some information on changing the florescent lights in my monaco, to the led florescent any body do this or know about it
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are now LED replacement "tubes" that look like and act like your existing setup but they may not be designed for your 12V system.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just did mine like D E Bishop did, Strips, a total of 5 Meters of LED's (for under 10 bucks on Amazon)

One thing I did differnt is cut the lights apart always at the solder pads but cut in a "Chair" pattern (Up to mid point of strip then between the Positive and Negative pads and then up to the top)

That way on one end I had all negative pads
On the other end all positive

So I just ran a bare "Bus bar" type jumper up the pads.. I had just three other places. I do not have a LO-HI, only high.

Finished my last unit over the weekend on the 3 I have.

A techician I know also uses the 5 meter strips but by bending and doubling back he does not need jumpers at all. I really like the results.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JerryDT
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:
I used M4 LED bulbs. I removed the ballasts and altered the wiring according to their detailed instructions and am very happy with the result. A little more expensive than strips but it was easy and works well. JMHO
I also used M4 LED bulbs,works very well.
Jerry Thompson
2003 Travel Supreme 38KS03
Tow - Jeep Wrangler

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered this set from Amazon. I have replaced the bulbs in one light in the bathroom hallway in our motor home. These are quite a bit brighter than the original fluorescent bulbs.

I still have two LED bulbs on hand, but I have four more lights I want to replace so I need to order a couple more sets of these. I'm pleased with the light output.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the same output as your fluorescent tubes, you need to match both the color temperature and the lumens. Color temperature is how "cool" or "warm" the light looks. Lumens is a measure of brightness.

Find the wattage of your fluorescent bulbs, and google what the lumen output is. (Or it may be on the bulb) You want your LEDs to have the same total lumen output.

THIS CHART is a good guide to color temperature.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. Easier than my approach. I like the way you handle the hi/low switching. I replaced the switch with a DPDT center off switch to do the hi/low on mine. The strips with the aluminum backing should aid in cooling and last longer.

When looking for LEDs, the brightest have 7020, 5730, or 5630 LED chips. Look for listings the tell how many lumens are produced.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Easy to do if you have a pencil soldering iron.

You can buy simple snap on connectors...no soldering needed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Back to your question, there are several makers of LED tubes that fit in the holders for fluorescent tubes. They run from $25 to $60 each and all of them seem to require disconnecting the ballast and they have a pigtail that connects to the 12volt source.

I have not tried any of them due to high cost, about $35 on average or $70 per slim-lite fixture.

I used strips of LEDs mounted on aluminum from Ebay and a standard slim-lite on/off switch.

I mounted the strips with contact cement and wired the strips in series. All mine are wall switch control so the on/off switch is used to control how many strips are on at a time, two for mood or five for reading. I did four fixtures, three with the hi-lo switch.

Switches were more than the LEDs about $15.00 for the switches and $10.00 for the LEDs. I don't work well upside down so I removed the fixtures from the ceiling and took them to my work bench.

Here are some photos of the finished product.

Strips glued and wired in the stripped out fixture.

Fixture on lo.

Fixture on hi.

Easy to do if you have a pencil soldering iron.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
i have picked up these off aliexpress and found they work great as well, though a bit long, they can easly be trimed down to fit

Bruce_Brown
I did THIS, it works great. It worked so well in fact when we did our new kitchen I used the same method to do the under cabinet lights. Even our contractor was impressed with how cheap, simple, easy, and effective it was.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job and pictures

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased some LED lamps on eBay like these:
G4 Reading Light 525-Lumen 15 SMD 5630 LED Warm White Bulb Lamp 12V 24V

I gutted the fixtures and mounted four lamps in each. Cost was about $5.50 for each fixture. The light output was slightly less than the fluorescent. The fluorescent fixtures each draw 2.3 amps. After the LED upgrade they draw 0.7 amps. Just add more lamps if you want more light.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
I used M4 LED bulbs. I removed the ballasts and altered the wiring according to their detailed instructions and am very happy with the result. A little more expensive than strips but it was easy and works well. JMHO
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have put five 48 SDM 5050 warm white led panels in mine when the ballast stops working. This only decreases the amps by 1/2 while changing the halogen ceiling lights to led is 1/10th. My 32 halogen ceiling lights drew 32 amps and with leds it's 4 amps. I have found the 5050 chips run the coolest. If you have the 3 light fixture in the kitchen, drill small holes diffuser under the switches so you can turn various ones on/off as needed to save power.

Many are using the led strip lights BUT unlike the panels I'm have problems with the strips having chips stop working and getting dim over time...less than 1,000 hours. The 5M strip I added under my awning has lost 25% of it's chips in less than 400 hours but at less than $10 it's easy to replace now that I put a plug in the wiring.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...