cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trip planner

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a trip planner that you can set for a specific number of miles or hours you want to drive in a day?
Find it very hard to figure out where my next stop will be
30 REPLIES 30

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCC-1701 wrote:
Rick Jay wrote:
I can't help with any specific software, although I'd be interested in knowing if any existed as well, BUT, I can add that we average about 50 mph on the road when travelling on highways 60-65 mph. The 50 mph average includes fueling stops, walk the dogs stops, and stretch your legs stops. Sometimes those are combined. We usually don't stop to eat as we have prepared meals we eat while travelling down the road.

You might be able to use the 50 mph as a guide and adjust it accordingly to the speeds and style of travel.

~Rick

I think Rick makes a very good point. Unless the software allowed you to put in YOUR personal average MPH, including the kinds of breaks, fuel stops, etc. that YOU usually take, the output is meaningless since it may not use the parameters that fit your travel style. I know that when I use trip planners, which usually give you an estimate of the TOTAL travel time needed, it's way faster than I would ever make it. In fact, some travel planners I've used literally must assume you always drive the top-end speed limit and NEVER stop...not even to fuel!

With big vehicles and lots of weight, I personally don't like going much more than 60 or 65, and with breaks every couple of hours to stretch my legs and let the dogs "do their thing" I am also at about 50 mph average. So I don't pay any attention to what the trip planner tells me. I just look at the mileage and knowing my average is 50 MPH, just do the calculation myself.

Both Furkot and RVTripWizard allow you to set your average speed and RVTripWizard allows you to set your max miles per day.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We plan by POI's for the most part and we use a paper map for laying out the entire trip and then decide where to stop each night. Google Chrome has good maps and gives you miles and hours. I don't think you can program your speed but if so I set it at 50 MPH. One program I used gave one alternate route and times based on different traffic conditions. I think it was Google Chrome.

We have only planed one trip where we did each day, normally we can guesstimate with a paper map.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Map quest tells you how many miles and how many hours to a destination.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Some are shown on ebay
Streets and trips

WOW! Some crazy prices being asked there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some are shown on ebay
Streets and trips

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
How long has it been since Streets & Trips was discontinued?

There are alternatives some being mentioned here.

I think the last release was 2013. I suspect copies can still be found. IMHO it's still a very worthwhile product.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
How long has it been since Streets & Trips was discontinued?

There are alternatives some being mentioned here.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
NCC-1701 wrote:
Rick Jay wrote:
I can't help with any specific software, although I'd be interested in knowing if any existed as well, BUT, I can add that we average about 50 mph on the road when travelling on highways 60-65 mph. The 50 mph average includes fueling stops, walk the dogs stops, and stretch your legs stops. Sometimes those are combined. We usually don't stop to eat as we have prepared meals we eat while travelling down the road.

You might be able to use the 50 mph as a guide and adjust it accordingly to the speeds and style of travel.

~Rick

I think Rick makes a very good point. Unless the software allowed you to put in YOUR personal average MPH, including the kinds of breaks, fuel stops, etc. that YOU usually take, the output is meaningless since it may not use the parameters that fit your travel style. I know that when I use trip planners, which usually give you an estimate of the TOTAL travel time needed, it's way faster than I would ever make it. In fact, some travel planners I've used literally must assume you always drive the top-end speed limit and NEVER stop...not even to fuel!

With big vehicles and lots of weight, I personally don't like going much more than 60 or 65, and with breaks every couple of hours to stretch my legs and let the dogs "do their thing" I am also at about 50 mph average. So I don't pay any attention to what the trip planner tells me. I just look at the mileage and knowing my average is 50 MPH, just do the calculation myself.

thats the big advantage to streets and trips. it lets you adjust your average speed in town and on the road and put in time between rest stops and rest stop times, and how many hours/day you want to travel, predicting gas stops etc.

After a couple of trips using streets and trips, I have adjusted those setting to our likeings and it is able to very accurately generate a route with timing that matches up very closely with our actual experiebce.

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
You have it right That is what I am looking for.
Everytime I do it myself my next stop is in the middle of nowhere
Only want this for long traveling distance like when you are heading south to get away from the snow That also adds an extra problem as to what campgrounds are open

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:

~Rick

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Find an old copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips. Believe the last one was 2012. I have been getting updates for it at times. Roads do not change that much. Some information does for campgrounds and other destinations.

yes streets and trips has some nice features we use to estimate times.
1) you can specify start or finish time time each day
2) you can specify what time or location or distance you want to stop at
3) you can adjust your average speed to a % of posted speed
4) you can specify how often and how long you plan for rest stops
5) you can enter tank size and fuel economy and it will tell you where to expect to stop for gas.
6) you can specify how long you want to stop each destination, either in hours, overnight or X days. So you can plan your route day by day,

We usually use streets and trips to plan our initial route, gives us a good estimate of when to leave, when to arrive etc. the adjust as necessary.

Yes, it's old, but in reality not that much change in roads.

just need to find a copy, 2013 was the last year it was published.

A computer geek friend found a site to download a 2013 version of S&Ts. It is out there somewhere.

As you say, roads don't change much. There are new intersection layouts, sections of highway re aligned, businesses that come & go, but the basics are there.

The trip is worked out on S&Ts. This year it is Alaska. 140+ days, 14,000 miles all planned out on the "Master file". From that once the trip starts a "Daily file" is created from that each evening & is used for navigating & often making changes on the fly.

The stand alone GPS gets the intended end of day location & is left to complain when we go off its preferred route as we go along.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
I use ROADTRIPPERS it allows you to show attractions X miles from your planned road, it know some not all campsites, also have options for dinning etc.

Example is ur small RT in 2014 only 3000 miles with all the interesting places we wanted to see with my friends from Belgium ๐Ÿ™‚

Mind you we went in convertible and not rv so we stayed in motels and cottages at that time ๐Ÿ™‚

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
trtog7 wrote:
Has anyone found a trip planner that you can set for a specific number of miles or hours you want to drive in a day?
Find it very hard to figure out where my next stop will be

Try Garmin BaseCamp (it's FREE). Has both miles and hours/day settings. You can also set it for car mode and/or RV mode and it will accept the RV dimensions and weight limits. After you set your planed route, you can export it directly into your Garmin GPS.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Find an old copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips. Believe the last one was 2012. I have been getting updates for it at times. Roads do not change that much. Some information does for campgrounds and other destinations.

yes streets and trips has some nice features we use to estimate times.
1) you can specify start or finish time time each day
2) you can specify what time or location or distance you want to stop at
3) you can adjust your average speed to a % of posted speed
4) you can specify how often and how long you plan for rest stops
5) you can enter tank size and fuel economy and it will tell you where to expect to stop for gas.
6) you can specify how long you want to stop each destination, either in hours, overnight or X days. So you can plan your route day by day,

We usually use streets and trips to plan our initial route, gives us a good estimate of when to leave, when to arrive etc. the adjust as necessary.

Yes, it's old, but in reality not that much change in roads.

just need to find a copy, 2013 was the last year it was published.