cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Filling

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a no-brainer question, but so far I haven't figured it out.

Since I winterized myself (compressed air method), I'd like to test everything out before our first trip. Problem is, I'm not sure how to fill the tanks with potable water. I don't think our outside faucets are drinkable, so I don't want to use those. Even if I used an attachment to a sink, I would have to have miles of hose to reach.

Any suggestions where/how to fill up at home or in town?
27 REPLIES 27

Stanimal
Explorer
Explorer
At our place, and I believe it is state regulated, any faucets connected to the house is potable water (either public supply or private well water). Our irrigation Faucets in the pastures are untreated canal water. We have had our well water tested several times and the results have shown it to be better than any locally available public water systems.

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
Just updated my profile info. I'm from Yakima, WA.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Almost any city water dept has places to fill and will let you hook up. Creede Co provides one just south of town. Too bad you don't tell anyone where you are. Go figure.
Sanidumps.com

A gun and a parachute are somewhat alike - if you need one and don't have one,youll never need one again

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering that for this year. Might give me more peace of mind...

The other thing holding me back is that the spot where the water pump is is very awkward to access. You have to lift the bed to get to some of the screws for the panel. Once you do, the screws are in very flimsy, thin board and I can't imagine the screws lasting long before stripping too much of the wood.

Any suggestions on making spots like this and the water heater bypass more accessible? I'm debating putting hinges on them or something so they don't have to be screwed shut and unscrewed every time...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
oyarsa wrote:
I would have considered the antifreeze method, but my water pump doesn't have the hose attachment (Or whatever it's called) to easily do it...

All you need is one of these kits...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pump-Converter-Winterizing/dp/B0006JJ588
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I would have considered the antifreeze method, but my water pump doesn't have the hose attachment (Or whatever it's called) to easily do it...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I have used both compressed air and anti-freeze.

I prefer the antifreeze because I am never sure I got all the water from the low spots in the plumbing or the nocks and crannies of the valves.

I did manage to blow out the city water check valve one time when using the air compressor but many folks have never had that problem.

Safe travels

X2. I use antifreeze because it's quick, it's easy, and I like to flush/sanitize in the spring anyway.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Each time I put water in the tank with an approved potable water hose (white with blue stripe), I pour a little bleach down into the hose before squirting the water into the inlet. Keeps it clean without wasting a lot of water filling the tank all the way up then draining it. Has worked good for 26 years.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both compressed air and anti-freeze.

I prefer the antifreeze because I am never sure I got all the water from the low spots in the plumbing or the nocks and crannies of the valves.

I did manage to blow out the city water check valve one time when using the air compressor but many folks have never had that problem.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same set up at my house. Irrigation water for the yard, and my own well water for the house. The irrigation water comes through a completely different system than my domestic water does. The faucets attached to the house are on the domestic system. The irrigation water comes through a stanchion at the end of my property.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
To be honest, I don't know a ton about it. I believe it is supplied by irrigation canals, but in any case it is cheaper and intended for lawn care and such. As such, it's pretty dirty. My last house, it was constantly clogging my sprinklers. The city turns on and off the supply at certain times each year.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
oyarsa wrote:
I wasn't sure at the time that the outside faucet was the same supply as the kitchen, or if it was irrigation water. But logically, it must be since it is still turned on.

And yes, I do have an air compressor with a pressure regulator. However, if I remember, the connection of the compressor at the trailer itself had a little leaking going on. I can probably get that plugged tightened up and try out the air before the water. I'm sure I winterized just fine, but it would be peace of mind before the trip...

I am not from you area. But, what is the difference between "irrigation" water and the rest of your water ?? There may be a difference that is why I am asking !!

It's also possible that is it all the same water.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP, use the garden hose. You have already figured out that it is not from your irrigation system. It is always a good idea to disinfect the system each year. Put some water in your tank, add some bleach, usually less than a cup, and fill it all the way. Go inside and turn on the pump. Run each faucet until you can smell the bleach. Leave everything alone for a few hours and then drain and flush the system.

If you are hypersensitive you can get a water filter and run your house water through that as you fill the tank. If you are hyper-hyper-hyper sensitive then carry all your water with you. Go buy water in a plastic jug and tote it around. Most of this water that is sold comes directly out of a city tap somewhere but somehow it is better. I do understand that some people have "bad" water at home so this kind of system might make sense.

I have been doing this for over 25 years and have yet to have anyone in my family get sick when we camp. And, horrors of all horrors, I have even gone out in the spring without sanitizing my tanks! I also drink directly from the garden hose, rode my bicycle without a helmet and rode thousands of miles in the backseat without a seatbelt.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't sure at the time that the outside faucet was the same supply as the kitchen, or if it was irrigation water. But logically, it must be since it is still turned on.

And yes, I do have an air compressor with a pressure regulator. However, if I remember, the connection of the compressor at the trailer itself had a little leaking going on. I can probably get that plugged tightened up and try out the air before the water. I'm sure I winterized just fine, but it would be peace of mind before the trip...