Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First time user satellite TV questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> First time user satellite TV questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jesseannie

BOISE IDAHO

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't tell me to use the search function my question is just basic and doesn't come up.

I don't have satellite at home never had it on the road. So I am completely clueless.

What is the easiest most user friendly system out there. We will be pretty remote sometimes so I don't think an internet/streaming type of thing will work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jesseannie

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy, part time Dish pay as you go. For your situation? What do you want? Sports, DirecTV offers better sports packages. Otherwise its kind of a toss up. Dish because of its setup allows you to use a portable dome and still get HD programing. DirecTV you would need a open faced oval dish, either automatic roof or ground tripod based for HD programing. With both you will loose local channels once you go outside the local spot beam area.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

‘easy’ and ‘user friendly’ can mean different things to different people. an automatic satellite antenna either portable or roof mounted will simplify things for you. if portable...carry it out, connect the cable and push a button. if rooftop...push a button. each has pros and cons. portable... can be moved in case trees block a rooftop antenna but where do you keep it when traveling? a rooftop unit won’t walk away in the middle of the night. portable antennas MAY not receive HD programmng but may be easier to service when needed.

then you’ll need a receiver compatible with the antenna and not all rcvrs are compatible with all antennas. iDISH has a pay-as-you-go plan; DirecTV does not. monthly service can be as expensive as you want but budget a minimum of $50 p/m. and several hundred to several thousand dollars for an antenna/receiver depending on models and capabilities (DVR?, 1-TV or multiple TVs watching the same or different programming?).

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As it pertains to satellite service just RV usage, Dish Network provides an abundant of programming that can be turned off and on as needed. Check the link for available offers and equipment. We have Dish at home and simply set up our own sat. antenna mounted on a tripod to get every channel we subscribe to.

jesseannie

BOISE IDAHO

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Don we really not fanatical TV watchers but enjoy the series like NCIS, blue bloods etc. I am a news junky. I would like to keep it as simple as possible on the equipment side even if we sacrifice some quality in the picture
So what are some brands to look for or do I get it all through a sat provider?
Jesseannie

VoodooMedicineMan

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I use a house Dish antenna and set it up myself. It's not hard to do. Satellite is only 23000 miles away. This year I could not find the high definition satellite 129. If I could do it over from the beginning I would get a dome that finds the birds on its own.

Bill and Joey the dog

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you select Dish pay as you go, or a Dish subscription, almost any of the portable automatic domes will work. Best? Place to buy? Search online. There are several decent brands with different features. IMHO stay away from anything made by Winegard. I have had enough issues with them that I simply do not suggest them to anyone. Personally I dont use a dome as I have Direct and use either an automatic roof top or a ground based open face dish depending on the situation.
Hope things work out for you on your upcoming move to full time.
Since your already in an apartment, you probably dont have much junk to get rid of. Dont make the mistake of putting stuff in storage. Sell or give away everything you wont take with you. Storage fees can far outweigh the cost to replace stuff.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

Thanks Don we really not fanatical TV watchers but enjoy the series like NCIS, blue bloods etc. I am a news junky. I would like to keep it as simple as possible on the equipment side even if we sacrifice some quality in the picture
So what are some brands to look for or do I get it all through a sat provider?
Jesseannie

recievers are either DISH, DirecTV or RF Mogul (RF Mogul makes both DISH and DTV equipment). quality in picture depends on your TV (analog or digital)...presumably you have a newer digital set. if that's the case unless you pay for HD you'll get SD TV from the sat providers (720p) which is good.

suggest you stick with DISH or RF Mogul. RF Mogul sells compatible DISH equipment, knows RVs and RVers and can provide a turn-key solution including installation should you wish it. Another authorized re-seller is Solid Signals (1-877-312-4547). I would avoid the local DISH outlets...kiosks in the mall, store fronts, etc and DISH itself simply because they may not understand unique needs of RVers.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such complicated answers.

Buy a Winegard Pathway X2 carry out auto sat finder.
It’s the only one that gets eastern and western arcs.
That is a good thing.

Get a Wally reciever which is designed to work with Pathway.
On power up it defaults to menus telling you what to do.

Hook a cable between the sat box and pathway and a HDMI cable to the tv and your done.

There are no carry outs that get HD with Directv.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Sat 101 time This does get technial but I'll start simple
First: Your antenna. You have 2x2 choioces
Rooftop DOMES. may be of the IN-MOTION type. you can record as you drive
However.. Only one channel at a time on DISH and only SD on Directv
Rooftop DISHES, only work when parked,,,, And can feed multiple receivers on either service, Just make sure you have the CORRECT DISH.

Portable "Domes" or Cubes. like rooftop
Portable dishes: Rooftop antennas do not work if you are parked under the (Voice of Doom Mode) EVIL SIGNAL EATING TREE(/voice of doom mode) Portables can "Get around it" but you have to TAKE AIM.

Dish or Direct:
Dish uses 3 satellites, all in the same band for both SD and HD, so a "Dome" or "Cube" type antenna can get one station at a time. (Two or more only if they are on the same satellite.

DirecHDTV uses one bird (Same band as above) for SD and two more for HD, which no current dome can recive

Then you get to where the birds are.. Dish is out over the Pacific for the most part.. *(If you are on the far east coast there are some over the Atlantic you can use) Direc is due south of Kansas.

And next is senethign called DNS or Distant Network Service
DrecTV has a couole of Super Cities, NYC area and Los Angles, with DNS (WHich you can subscribe to if you have an RV account but not witih a HOME account) yoyu can get network stations (ABC, CBS and all the Three Letter Acronyms) anywhere.

DISH used to do that but they got caught being a bit free with the DNS Waivers so a judge shut 'em down.. Now they no longer offer that so you have to call 'em every time you move. Sad situtation. but I would not let it stop me from using Dish. (My reasons for choosing Dish over Direct are somewhat not something I care to discuss here With one exception)

FInally we have the programming packages (This is the one exception)
DIrecTV is big iunto Sports (I am not)
DISH carries the NASA channels (WHy I like Dish)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> First time user satellite TV questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS