cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside Shower

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new to me TT last fall that has an outside shower. At first I thought it was kind of cool, but now I'm wondering what it's purpose is? About the only use I can see it would be good for is washing sand off of the grand kids feet at the beach. Am I missing something?
57 REPLIES 57

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I love my outdoor shower, to me, there is nothing better than a refreshing shower out in the fresh air on a nice sunny day.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Like I posted previously. I use mine every trip. my buddy uses his also. I`ve seen many people around the campground that use there`s. it`s a very good thing to have!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Washing sand off. Last step before leaving camper every weekend (on seasonal site) is that I use it to depressurize water system.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Farmerkev
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
dave54 wrote:
One use I did not see mentioned is rinsing the sewer hose. Our shower is only a few feet from the sewer connection. I unhook the hose from the rig, leave the other end attached to the ground, and use the shower to rinse the hose before putting it away.

I had a trailer like that and it was handy for rinsing sewer parts. When I mentioned it here, they jumped on me about how that was such a bio-hazard.

Not sure why it's a hazard, leave the outlet connected and the rinse water goes down the same hole you just put the dirty stuff in.
I've done that many times, keeps the oder down where the hose is stored.

JonWalter
Explorer
Explorer
We had one on our first motorhome (owned for 5+ years) and never used it. It was just an extra spigot to empty out and winterize at the end of every season. I think it's one of those features that some manufacturer thought to add as a "new and innovative" design at some point (late 80's or early 90's maybe?) and other RV makers grabbed onto the idea because it was cheap to install during the building process... despite the fact that it was probably never used much by customers. Especially when it was a new concept, full hookups were a lot more rare and I can't imagine many people would waste a lot of fresh water by spraying it onto the ground.

Best carpet sweeper

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been winterized and disconnected since my kids and pets have grown/gone. I'm considering using it to supply the misting station I built for the awning. Not sure how much water/power will get consumed for that though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
For those of us who fish in salt water, the outside shower is a great tool to rinse off your rods and reels & other gear once you're out of the water. We'll be at Galveston Island State Park next week, and I guarantee you that I'll be doing that as well as rinsing the aforementioned sandy feet, dirty dog, etc..
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had a TT with one. I can see a few reasons to have one. But, it would not be a big selling point for me. I've never needed one so far.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
One use I did not see mentioned is rinsing the sewer hose. Our shower is only a few feet from the sewer connection. I unhook the hose from the rig, leave the other end attached to the ground, and use the shower to rinse the hose before putting it away.

I had a trailer like that and it was handy for rinsing sewer parts. When I mentioned it here, they jumped on me about how that was such a bio-hazard.

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
The hose on those showers is 3/8". Kind of an odd size for garden hose fittings.

I've never seen an outside shower on any trailer with 3/4" GH fittings, AFAIK they're all 1/2" NPT, just like the rest of the camper.

My open range has standard garden hose fittings
It came that way

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III

And of course, muddy boots, skunked dogs, and all the other mentioned uses.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
kevden wrote:
Cocky_Camper wrote:
kevden wrote:
I set up a shower tent to prevent the grey water tank from filling up quickly when we boondock. Our previous camper had an outside shower, but our current one does not, so I bought some adapters from Loweโ€™s to connect a hose to the low point drains, and a sprayer for the other end. The shower tent fits nicely between the 2 slideouts. Similar to this one;
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Changing-Adventures-California-restrictions/dp/B013S9EMVW/ref=sr_1_1...

We have considered getting on of these for the same reason also, but my question is do they make openings in the side of the tent to put the hose through, besides the door?

Ours did not have a hole. I cut a flap at approximately the same height as the outside shower on our old camper, and taped the cut edges with gorilla tape. The tape has held up very well. I use a couple of bungee cords to secure the tent between the slideouts, otherwise the wind tips it over. One downfall to my setup is I have no mixing valve. The hose is connected to the hot low point drain. So to avoid scalding water I have to turn on the water heater and get a shower in between too cold and before it gets to full temperature. Our suburban water heater has no temperature adjustment. I tried using a hose โ€œyโ€ to connect both hot and cold to the hose at the low point drains, but all I get is cold water that way.

I finally broke down and ordered one of Amazon today, after LOTS of research. I really like the idea of the 2 room tent, so you have a dry portion to change it, but NONE had a opening for a shower head, plus there were larger than I wanted, I was concerned about space being an issue when setting up.

The one I ordered from amazon has a window that unzips, that you can also unzip the screen the reach items hanging outside. We will see how this does when it arrives Saturday.

This would have been great to have last weekend at the state park when the showers where lined up. But we will get to try it out at the Darlington, SC race in a few weeks where we won't have sewer hook ups.

We do use the RV shower if we have full hook-ups. This should make it easier than dumping the gray tank and taking it for a trip.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine once to warm up after river tubing for 6 hours but other than that the door is only unlocked to winterize and de-winterize.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
kevden wrote:
I set up a shower tent to prevent the grey water tank from filling up quickly when we boondock. Our previous camper had an outside shower, but our current one does not, so I bought some adapters from Loweโ€™s to connect a hose to the low point drains, and a sprayer for the other end. The shower tent fits nicely between the 2 slideouts. Similar to this one;
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Changing-Adventures-California-restrictions/dp/B013S9EMVW/ref=sr_1_1...

We have considered getting on of these for the same reason also, but my question is do they make openings in the side of the tent to put the hose through, besides the door?

Ours did not have a hole. I cut a flap at approximately the same height as the outside shower on our old camper, and taped the cut edges with gorilla tape. The tape has held up very well. I use a couple of bungee cords to secure the tent between the slideouts, otherwise the wind tips it over. One downfall to my setup is I have no mixing valve. The hose is connected to the hot low point drain. So to avoid scalding water I have to turn on the water heater and get a shower in between too cold and before it gets to full temperature. Our suburban water heater has no temperature adjustment. I tried using a hose โ€œyโ€ to connect both hot and cold to the hose at the low point drains, but all I get is cold water that way.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD