cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Website for dogs entering canada, rules

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for website (not here say) about what I need to get dog into canada. She really wants to go! She is not keen on the ferry to Newfoundland but she is game for an adventure.
12 REPLIES 12

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Your pet on the ferry to Newfoundland may be a different issue, depending on which ferry you take( the short crossing or the long crossing).

They do have kennel spaces on the ferry where your pet can stay during the crossing and I think they have to booked in advance.You can visit your pet in the kennels.

We've always taken the "short" ( 6 hours or so) crossing and have left our dog in the vehicle, making sure we walked her a lot before boarding. We left some water with her and as soon as we got off let her relieve herself but she was in no rush and had not drank all the water (We think she slept the whole way)! Note that you cannot go down to the vehicle decks while underway.

I was posted to Gander Newfoundland several times during my military career (and the DW and daughter are Newfies to boot, though my son is not but he lives there now( but born in Ottawa).
Great place to visit but I really do not want to spend any more winters there (or here!).

Things may have changed since we made the crossings a few years ago, best to check the Marine Atlantic web site for details.

Marine Atlantic

Enjoy your trip, I think another trip with my MH is in my future after I retire.

Chris

P.S. I just read the pet requirements on Marine Atlantic and you now have to provide your own "plastic" pet carrier (no wire or soft sided carriers). Best option still seems to be to leave your pet in the vehicle.
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a recreational property in the US for nearly 30 years and took our labs across the border constantly. We were never asked for anything more than a valid rabies vaccination certificate and rarely at that.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
We make sure our dog has all up to date shots.
We get asked by dog groomers in the USA all the
time especially Parvo. We use Pet Smart most of
the time because they keep a record on their computers
from place to place, and also because we do not
need to wait three weeks or longer to get him
groomed.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We get an international vet certificate from our vet for our trips to the US but we have never been asked for it, either on the Canadian or US side. We have been asked for it at a RV park in the US, they copy and file it for each pet that goes into that park.

In terms of dog food, check the latest "flavour of the month restrictions", we once had our Canadian dog food taken because "it could have been made on the same line" as the beef dog food that was a no-no back then.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve taken our Lab in and out of Canada numerous times and no one has asked to see her paperwork. We are going back to Newfoundland thus summer, and Marine Atlantic has a lot on their website about bringing dogs.

US Border Patrol never seems concerned with her much either. More interested in the vegetables.

But I recommend people carry the dogโ€™s rabies certificate all the time on RV trips anywhere you go. I was required to produce it once at a New York State Park.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hahaha, I hope they let me home with pooch. I will have all shot info with me.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is always concerned about entry into Canada.
Don't forget you have to go back home.
The Border is a two way street.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I bring my dogs back and forth across the border all the time. The border agents have never asked anything about them. Make sure they are up to date on shots and have proof with you. I have only ever been questioned about their dog food. As long as itโ€™s in the original bag and dry it will be ok too.

Here is the link for the Canadian customs page for animals.

Here is the page for dogs.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You do not need much.
Dogs to Canada

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Hearsay is about all you will get on the forum. The website is a good idea.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I hear this one is good https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-your-pet-to-canada
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad