cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare Tire Watch-Out

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered that the bolts that secure the spare tire in place are not the same size as the lug nuts on the wheels. Fortunately, I discovered this in my driveway rather than beside the road. My fix was to change the spare tire hold-down bolts so that the size of the nuts match the size of the lug nuts, so the lug nut wrench will work for both.

Had I needed to change my tire on the roadside, I would not have been able to get the spare tire off.
11 REPLIES 11

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad you posted this reminder for people that have just bought a new TT. If I had a spare tire holder I would go check it out right now. My spare rides around in the back of my pickup.

A tool set is a good idea.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Yeah, I discovered that too one day just by luck.
It would sure be nice if the RV company's would correct this simple oversight.

As I said, spare tire brackets are supplied by third party manufacturers, are generic, and have nothing to do with the RV manufacturers which simply buy what's available.
Car and truck makers buy their stuff from 3rd party makers as well. But it always fits what is needed to change a tire. No excuse for this.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small tool set inside the trailer, never know when you need it.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
After 38 years of driving owning both American & foriegn vehicles I have both standard and metric 4 way lug wrenches. The first one purchased when I bought my first car.

After having to spend $600 replacing lug nuts and studs on a 1991 Isuzu Trooper. I carry an adjustable torque wrench in each vehicle to use when finishing tightening the lug nuts. I use the tow vehicle lug wrench to tighten the trailer lug nuts.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 4 way T lug wrench also. Never used again after I took the spare tire off the bumper of the trailer and put the spare tire holder in the shed where it's been drawing rust ever since. I travel with my trailer spare tire in the bed of my truck and its inside the garage when we're home. But I still carry that 4 way lug wrench in the camper. I just can't seem to part with it.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed my 4 way lug wrench also fits my water heater plastic drain plug.
Luck of the draw i guess.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
So far the manufacturers haven't made a child proof trailer!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Myself...I'm kind of glad my 4 way lug wrench fits my spare also.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

As I said, spare tire brackets are supplied by third party manufacturers, are generic, and have nothing to do with the RV manufacturers which simply buy what's available.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Glamping wrote:
I discovered that the bolts that secure the spare tire in place are not the same size as the lug nuts on the wheels.

You haven't said but if your spare tire is mounted to a bumper mount bracket it's not surprising the nut sizes are different as these tire mounts are manufactured by third parties. My spare was originally hung below the A-frame by the trailer manufacturer but I moved it to the front pass through storage compartment to keep it out of the elements and make it much easier to access. The well created by the wheel is also a great place to store cables and hoses. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380