cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts? Good, bad, or indifferent?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Late last Summer we replaced our awning. Wind damaged an arm and also started tearing the fabric at one corner where it attaches to the trailer. We had a new one put on (fabric) and the arm was fixed, and everything is happy and well now.

We kept the old awning, as I just don't like to throw anything away. If I can find a way to repurpose anything, I usually do. If not, I'll eventually give it away. So, keeping the old awning fabric was a given.

I had no clue what I'd end up doing with it. I thought about using it as a tarp over my fire wood at home, I mean... all kinds of ideas.

Then, over the winter I thought of an idea.

So, I just tried it this afternoon to see how it would work. Actually, it installed very easy. My wife pulled while I fed it in the awning roller groove. It was slightly breezy, so I held it down with a couple temporary weights.

I kind of felt it was a lot of weight pulling on the awning arms, and if I did this for real, I'd need a better way to secure it to the ground. But, if you saw this set up at a campground, what would you think? Good idea? yes, no, or simply no opinion?

Is this too much weight on the awning arms? Is there a risk of damage if the wind blows up? Would you do this?

FYI, we do have 2 quick shades for extended shade, but this set-up would give us a LOT of privacy behind the "curtain". And, taking it back down was no problem at all. It came down easier than it went up.

Actually, the fabric is so stiff, it's actually harder to unfold it and fold it back up than anything.

Thoughts?

34 REPLIES 34

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a fan.

I do like repurposed stuff though. You can cut it down add some grommets and then have some awesome tarps.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport, you must use your outside shower. :B

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you planning to roll 2 awning covers up together? I would guess that the weight and extra diameter would likely cause problems. Wind would be another concern. Putting it up and taking it off every time you go camping would be a huge PITA. Creative thinking tho!

We have an awning screen and it has a zipper section 12" high which stays on when it rolls up and the rest comes off before rolling it up so that way it doesn't add a bunch of weight and thickness. I'd say go buy a "proper" awning screen. They are great in the summer sun and you can see through them.

What happened to your Dutchmen TT? New one looks nice...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Add an awning channel to the back of the trailer and use it as a storage area for bikes, chairs or grill. add some grommets for poles to keep it up and tie it down with stakes and rope. I`ve always wanted to do this to keep the bikes dry!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Would you really want to sit behind that at a campground?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
I took my old awning and made individual custom fit detachable awnings for each of my windows to keep the sun off the glass when we are parked in open areas. Works pretty well. Sorry I don't have pics for you, but everything is still in storage 'til May.
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
How about making something for your slide-outs. Or a cargo cover
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy X 2. Use tarps & screens on EZE-Up tent/truck camping for privacy/shelter all the time. Mainly around cooking/eating area. Old Awning would be great improvement. JM2ยข ~~~ YMMV

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
An alternate suggestion is to invest in a shelter such as an Easy Up, particularly a straight leg version, and use the old awning material as a wind block - cut it to size, add a few grommet holes, and hang it off the shelter using nylon cable ties. This is exactly what we do when camping with friends, especially in the spring and fall when inclement weather is more likely ... set an open end not far from the campfire but enough to allow smoke to blow up & away from the shelter, cover the other sides with tarps, and we're snug as a bug in a rug. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Seems t me, sitting under the awning should bring relief from sun and heat. This may give more shade, but blocking any breeze will bring up the temp under the awning. Plus the weight of an additional awning on one set of arms? They barely perform properly the way they are.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
A camphost at a local state park does this, but he has put in grommets and has additional poles so his usable space under the awning is HUGE! His setup looks really good and he has it fixed so it doesn't accumulate water if it rains. He won't be back to the campground until October, so I can't get you a pic.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It's a NO for me too.

Practical reason: if a stiff wind comes up, it will greatly slow down the process of rolling up the main awning..
Have you ever seen an awning that was destroyed by the wind because it was not retracted soon enough?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A stiff wind combined with the extra weight could be too much for the awning arms. I wouldn't do it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Since power awnings are frail to begin with, and you have experience with damage, I can't help but wonder why you would do such a thing.