cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First trip to RV park - suggestions?

OzBoz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, we will be taking delivery of our new Palomino Solaire towards the end of April. We have a few summer trips planned, but wanted to get a first family trip fairly locally since we are first time owners (thinking Memorial Day weekend or there about).

I'm looking for recommendations for nice places in Central to North NJ, or Eastern PA., for a long weekend. I have two children age 12 and 14, so need someplace where there are activities to keep them active. I'm aware of a few KOA sites in the area, wanted to see if there were anything else that folks that recommend. Or is KOA the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.
27 REPLIES 27

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
A first test on a holiday weekend is questionable. How about plugging in in your driveway, fill your water tank, and camp there for a couple of nights. Learn some of what works, and what doesn't, and go to a couple of parking lots before Memorial day also, to practice backing into a set spot. Learn how to see your lane as well as working out communication with your spotter so you have an easier time later.

Ya, I agree with the above.

I've never been to a KOA. I prefer State Parks or even County Parks but, to each their own.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you travel around you will find not all KOA's are tight. Much like any franchise the locations are all very different. The management and business plan can be different as well.
Sometimes a large state park site is nice on the other hand a a well manicured resort style private CG with an on site restaurant and large pool can be fun. There is not a one size fits all answer. I enjoy them all.
Sometimes less is more! ... and sometimes more is simply more.
More power, more people, more amenities, more room pick your poison.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
We did not like KOAs since they are so tight. They cram you in like sardines and last time we stayed there, we had a tent that was bumping up against the back of our camper. State parks are always the way to go to have a fun experience with a little room to move around.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
With kids that age I might try some place around Steamtown (maybe Keene Lake cg) or somewhere around Knoebels.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
OzBoz, if you have never camped out I would suggest a place with hookups. Actually your driveway is the best of places to try things out as someone has already mentioned.

Driving in and out of established private campgrounds is usually easier than backing into state park spots. We love to camp and usually do so in parks be they state or federal or even Corps of Engineers. We also love to travel in our trailer and when on the road it is nice to use KOAs along with other chains like Good Sams. That said, both of these options can be iffy at times. A KOA is not a place to camp for any length of time, in my opinion. We do like them because you usually know what you are getting. We have been burned at a few KOAs but also had the same experiences at some Good Sam places.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
The real campground is WALLYWORLD in your neighborhood. Lots to do there! My wife and I go for Saturday night dates and we get laughs for free.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have a clock at night, just go out and yell. Some one will Say, Shutup, It's 2:15!

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, French Creek has full hook-up sites. Not sure about cordorus, but they definitely have electric sites.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
My take is, pick up the trailer. If it's a nice quiet day, go for a drive and find out what happens when you apply the brakes, turn the steering wheel, change lanes, make right hand turns and so on. Find a spot and practice some backing, noting the actions and reactions.
Once you figure out how things work, find a spot (check out reviews on RV Parky, rvparkreviews.com, or Good Sam) and hit the road for a fun and educational outing.

Take your time, be safe, and have fun.

And keep in mind we don't all hit home runs every at bat.
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Hershey Park has a pretty nice campground. And it is located right near the park itself.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've liked every KOA we have used so far.

We normally camp in state parks, but when we go to visit a new place and are more interested in exploring the surrounding area, we use a KOA. Still get to enjoy the road trip, have a campfire at the end of the night, all that good stuff!

Every one has been consistent(so far) with clean bathhouses, pools, propane, full hookups, flat sites and things for the kids to do.

They are much less outdoorsy than a state park, but I would think a great place to get your feet wet. I find with state parks you never know what you will get with bathhouses, amenities, and tree placement on the sites.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
So much depends on what you call camping. Some of the larger KOAs have all the kid amenities including game rooms, pools, playgrounds etc. There is often cable Television and I have even seen minigolf. Kind of like going to a resort.

If you like a bit more separation we go to state parks. Trails, bike paths, fishing, and a few even have water parks. Reservations are a must in most of the popular spots.

It really makes little difference when you start out. The goal is to try as many different type of camping until you find the type you are happy with.

We use KOAs as stop overs as they are usually in route and fairly consistent.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best RV parks can be a lot of fun. The worst ones are like being in a parking lot. KOA tends to be toward the bottom. Get a copy of a directory of RV parks and compare them. Reserve one now for Memorial Day if you still can.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
It will be tough on holiday weekend. 2 months ago I called around looking for a site, going for a pool for the boy, most filled up. I did end up getting a spot in a KOA in honesdale pa. Never been there before so we'll see.