cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On the way home from Mexico...recommendation

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I head back towards LA whenever I return from wintering in Mexico and visit my brother in Rosamond (80 odd miles north of LA). It's gotten rather boring and routine stopping at the same RV parks year after year. So I decided that this year I'll stop somewhere different when I returned from San Felipe, Baja. It's just a short jaunt from San Felipe to the border (2 hours), but you never know how long they're going to hold you up so I looked for somewhere nearby the crossing of El Centro that I hadn't been too before.

And I happened to notice Jacumba Springs, California. Due west of El Centro up in the hills so it would tend to be cooler. Just a couple RV parks in that area and I selected the closest, DeAnza Springs Resort. After leaving the freeway, there is a 2 mile long unpaved road to travel though to get to the park but if you go slow enough, it's not too much of a bother. I arrived at a closed gate with a buzzer system to buzz the office so they'll let you in. There's several buzz codes listed there to try if arriving after or before office hours. Someone is always available to buzz you in.

After entering the park proper, it's a short drive on gravel and recycled blacktop (compacted) to reach the office. Signs are numerous and easily spotted. The roads are mostly wide and easily navigated even pulling a toad.

This park is huge. I learned later they have over 300 spaces. Some are permanent sites while others are park models built to spec. But most sites are a space with services. Plenty of different areas to chose from. And the main building is large as well. Surprising and unexpected to find this big of a RV park with the kind of facilities they have here. There's a large meeting room, a large bar area with tables and chairs, a traditional bar, even a dance floor. Around the corner from the bar is the cafe. Then there's the TV room and lending library. Everything is newer, clean, well cared for.

Along side the building is another large covered and shaded seating area, then there's the pool and sauna. It is a clothing optional park but it doesn't bother anyone if you wear your regular clothing. While I was there the weather was iffy so many wore their street clothes (but not all).

I really enjoyed my weeks stay there as everyone was really nice, the Wifi was very fast and reliable, services were good, RV spaces are large, there were numerous improved hiking trails all over their 500 acres, and of course, spending a couple evenings in the bar and having dinner while making new friends was really nice too. I kind of like having a nice bar right on the RV park grounds...not something I see very often.

If you're looking to avoid the humdrum on your trip back from Mexico (or on your way there), check out DaAnza Springs.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
3 REPLIES 3

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Clothing optional.....Which did you choose?

I chose to stay clothed this time. I've been avoiding the sun for decades and I would have burnt up like a french fry if I'd gone natural. Then there were the days I was there where it turned out to be too cool to go natural so...

Maybe next visit. Weather permitting.

Chum lee wrote:
Been there several times. Yes, it's a little different all righty! At +-4000 ft. elevation it's subject to weather variations throughout the winter but fine in spring/summer. Kind of interesting going into the office the first time. At first I thought I was still in Tijuana at a nudie bar. It was then that several fully naked kids ran through the reception area. Takes a little getting used to, but its harmless. Did Verizon ever put up a new local antennae for more reliable cell service? That was the only iffy thing.

Yes, I took a shower with a Norwegian Goddess at the indoor pool. (no tan lines, no cover, and no cover charge!) That was a highlight in my RVing experience, at least, . . . so far.

Chum lee

You are correct on several counts. Does take some getting use to, but I lived through the hippy era where several concerts I attended were clothing optional and if you've seen a bunch of naked bodies in a short time, most people lose interest. I'm with them.

Cell service? Hmm. I didn't really check or make any calls but I remember checking when I first got there and I had 3 or more bars so I'd say it's OK. The Wifi could be used for keeping in touch too.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Been there several times. Yes, it's a little different all righty! At +-4000 ft. elevation it's subject to weather variations throughout the winter but fine in spring/summer. Kind of interesting going into the office the first time. At first I thought I was still in Tijuana at a nudie bar. It was then that several fully naked kids ran through the reception area. Takes a little getting used to, but its harmless. Did Verizon ever put up a new local antennae for more reliable cell service? That was the only iffy thing.

Yes, I took a shower with a Norwegian Goddess at the indoor pool. (no tan lines, no cover, and no cover charge!) That was a highlight in my RVing experience, at least, . . . so far.

Chum lee

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Clothing optional.....Which did you choose?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes