cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road trip to Long Island from Southwest FL.

Frankie_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for roads/ bridges that allow Class C , first long trip in our RV Southwest Fl to Long Island NY

Did you see "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to "posting" issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, visit the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

5 REPLIES 5

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Edit: a big rule in New York and New England is to avoid roads called parkways. Almost without fail, they are not suitable for RVs, and most prohibit them.

The Garden State Parkway is one exception to this. The only issue is that some of the arched bridges have lower clearances in the right lane.

DrewE wrote:
From there, I have no idea of the best way to get an RV onto Long Island; maybe I-278?

That's because there's no best way 😞 The most direct route is I-95 over the GW bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway across the Throgs Neck Bridge to I-495 to the Long Island Expressway.

Edit: I cut the reply short this morning because I needed to get to work. (I thought I was retired.)

You have to pick your time to do the GW Bridge and the cross Bronx. Early (before 6 am) and Sunday mornings are probably the best. Propane is allowed only on the upper deck of the GWB and you need to pay attention to the signs to make sure you're in the correct lane to get on top. There are several lane restrictions using Jersey barriers and they're just the right height to take out your steps. Most RVers in the northeast avoid this route like the plague, but if you're going to LI, there's really no choice. Oh, I guess you could drive to New London CT and take the ferry across . If you're headed to the eastern end, I'd consider this.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Frankie Mom wrote:
Can’t believe how RUDE SOME PEOPLE ARE!
I thought this was a place to ask for advice, I guess I’m wrong Thanks for nothing

Relax, there are plenty of friendly people here, along with a few occasional curmudgeons. It does help to post in a section related to your question.

If I were interested in making decent time, I would probably take US1 to I-95 to I-26 to I=77 to I-81, and I-78 to the New York City area. From there, I have no idea of the best way to get an RV onto Long Island; maybe I-278?

If I had time to spare, I might take the Blue Ridge Parkway, in whole or in part.

Edit: a big rule in New York and New England is to avoid roads called parkways. Almost without fail, they are not suitable for RVs, and most prohibit them. Major bridges are mostly OK. Some tunnels do not permit propane, particularly those that go under water or under cities (e.g. Boston).

Frankie_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Can’t believe how RUDE SOME PEOPLE ARE!
I thought this was a place to ask for advice, I guess I’m wrong Thanks for nothing

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Because she needs HELP.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How did you choose this section of the forum to post?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman