Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serpentine belt replacement

btcruzer
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Fleetwood Flair on a F-53 Ford chassis with v-10 gas engine
last fall I detected a slight squeak from my serpentine belt and/or idler pulley(s). Decided to replace both pulleys and belt. Ordered a "kit" online. Order arrived - the "kit" contained a belt that was too short (100 inches) and one pulley that was too wide and a tensioner. My V-10 has two idlers ( narrow for 6 groove belts). One mounted on each cylinder head. Local parts stores could not find idler pulleys of the right diameter and width. I eventually replaced the bearings and used the original idlers. Measured the old belt and found it to be slightly over 110 inches long. only belt available in correct length was a Duralast 6pk2790.. Got it back together and squeak was gone. I'm happy. A few months later the squeak in back. Changed back to the old belt to decide if bearings or belt is at fault. No Squeak, but I still want to replace the belt. Ordered a Motorcraft belt # JK81107a... got it today... length is right but 8 grooves. What in the heck does this thing require ?
The Good Times are Coming !
4 REPLIES 4

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
the fact that you replace the belt and the noise stops. that the noise comes back, indicates a bad pulley alignment

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer

cjalphonso
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I ordered the Motorcraft JK61107 V-Ribbed Belt. If your was originally a 6 ribbed belt, this should be the one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Belts almost NEVER make any noise. Idler pulleys (actually the bearing as you found out) DO !

I hope you did not throw out the old belt. Keep it as a spare.