cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Borrowing my Inlaws toy hauler, shore power plug question.

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer
Borrowing the toy hauler this weekend since I wont have my TC done in time for Rally on the Rocks.

They've never hooked up to shore power, and the adapter they have doesn't fit.

Here's the plug on the TH

Will THIS adapter work for what I'm looking at? The power center is a wfco 8955pec so I believe it's also a charger. Plan to use shore power only while getting it all loaded and ready to go.
Thanks all!!
15 REPLIES 15

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thank you all!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, refer can run on shore power. It would cool better on LP.
Yes, you should be able to charge batteries and use lights.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer
Would I be able to only run the fridge while its plugged in at my house before we leave?
I planned to only run it on shore power prior to leaving, cool/load the fridge the day before we leave, lights to load up, etc

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talisman61 wrote:
That's not a 5-15 end, but thank you! I have plenty of extension cords so I'll just snag one of the adapters shared above
If using 15a power you will also need to restrict usage as needed. I recommend water and fridge should be set to propane only. No air conditioning. Hair dryer medium to low. Microwave may still trip the breaker.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talisman61 wrote:
That's not a 5-15 end, but thank you! I have plenty of extension cords so I'll just snag one of the adapters shared above

No that's the NEMA TT-30 plug, the 120v 30A plug that would have been standard on the trailer. Not to be confused with the 220V 30A plug they use on clothes dryers.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
Here is a 25' 30A cord with the right connectors in stock at Wal*Mart
+1
This is the best and permanent solution.
Very common NEMA L5-30 connector. Nothing special or proprietary about it.

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talisman61 wrote:
So, this plug was probably added and not factory? Interesting. Thanks all!

Could have been either....I added mine like George did because I got tired of stuffing that big cord back in the mousehole. When you get the retrofit kit, it comes with the female plug that you just put on the end of your shore cord.

More and more trailers are coming with these OEM, but either way the connector is the same. This connection has been the standard for shore power connections in the marine industry for many years, but just starting to catch on in the RV world.

Here is a 25' 30A cord with the right connectors in stock at Wal*Mart

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, that is common for many rigs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer
So, this plug was probably added and not factory? Interesting. Thanks all!

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
That's a Marinco 30A shore power connection, not the same plug as a twist-lok generator connection. If you can't find the factory power cord with the right connector you can order an adapter like this

If you need ASAP check local marine supply stores or your local Wal Mart may have one in the RV section.

Like Burbman says, if you can't locate the factory cord these adapters are also available at local RV trailer places too.
I recently installed the Marinco style twist lock plug on my trailer. I got tired of pulling 30' of cord out through the hole and pushing it back in after camping.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest the 30 amp adapter from Marinco/Park-Power. It will provide enough power to run A/C.
Then get a 30 amp 25 foot cord from Walmart.
30 amp Adapter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a Marinco 30A shore power connection, not the same plug as a twist-lok generator connection. If you can't find the factory power cord with the right connector you can order an adapter like this

If you need ASAP check local marine supply stores or your local Wal Mart may have one in the RV section.

Talisman61
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Instead of having a built-in power wore (RV to shore power) quite a few have a large, yellow (color)external power cord that the owner plugs in both ends.

It should have come with the RV. Perhaps in a storage bin somewhere?

Just FWIW....g'luck !

Thanks, I've seen friends use them, but this one seems to be lacking. I'll keep digging, but so far no luck