cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workhorse or P-30 Chassis

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
I have been buying parts for my 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3124W using the P30 chassis selection.
Yesterday I was told that my RV has a Workhorse chassis, not a P 30, and that is why a new A/C condenser would cost around $1700.00, and the one I can get from the parts store for the P 30 chassis for $150.00 would not work.
How can I determine whether I have a P30 or a Workhorse chassis? Is that what the W in the model number stands for?
I'm at a loss.
12 REPLIES 12

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bobchambe wrote:
Thank you everyone!

My VIN starts with 1GB so it verifies my thoughts that it is a P30.

As far as the A/C. I will probably try replacing the condenser and recharging the A/C.

I prefer the engine A/C to putting hours on the generator and running the roof A/C's. Last year when the temperatures in the 90's, the coach A/C's ran constantly trying to make the inside of the coach bearable.

Thanks Again....Bob

In my experience, it's a never ending battle with keeping an old dash AC working for long and if the roof units won't cool it, the dash certainly won't and probably burns as much extra fuel in the process.
Besides that, the genset supplies hot water and the fridge, as well.
Doesn't hurt to run the gen and takes a lot of hours, before it's wears out.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bobchambe wrote:
I have been buying parts for my 1996 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3124W using the P30 chassis selection.
Yesterday I was told that my RV has a Workhorse chassis, not a P 30, and that is why a new A/C condenser would cost around $1700.00, and the one I can get from the parts store for the P 30 chassis for $150.00 would not work.
How can I determine whether I have a P30 or a Workhorse chassis? Is that what the W in the model number stands for?
I'm at a loss.

Same..o, same ..o, sorta, kinda.
P30 is the Generic term.
P32 is the actual chassis for a Motorhome.
It was designed and sold by GM and specifically for Chevrolet.
Workhorse bought it in 1999 and continued to produce it, with widening the track a few years later and then with discontinuing it, altogether in favor of their W chassis.
Buying anything Workhorse, for it, will cost a lot more and like buying a Chevy part at the Jeep garage for your Jeep.
Parts are available and abundant from many sources, including Amazon.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!

My VIN starts with 1GB so it verifies my thoughts that it is a P30.

As far as the A/C. I will probably try replacing the condenser and recharging the A/C.

I prefer the engine A/C to putting hours on the generator and running the roof A/C's. Last year when the temperatures in the 90's, the coach A/C's ran constantly trying to make the inside of the coach bearable.

Thanks Again....Bob

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned numerous motorhomes and always found that running the generator and roof air was more efficient than using dash air.
Less drag on the engine and less heating of the engine and the roof air cooled much better.
You might want to re-think repairing it. ???

ets1996
Explorer
Explorer
As Gjac stated yours is most likely a 1995 chassis again verified by your vin. My 1996 Rexhall is titled as 1996 although it was built on a 1995 chassis. I remember a guy had a 1997 titled but verified chassis was a 1994 having to do with builders advanced purchase and use of chassis.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse didn't exist in 1996.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The vin tells you for sure, you probably have a 1995 chassis also so when you order parts use 1995 not 1996. That can be confusing when ordering parts because major changes happened from 95 to 96. 1995 was OBD1 1996 was OBD2. You won't be able to read codes from a parts store on a 1995 chassis, for parts replacement.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
From the Workhorse Manual:

First three characters of a Chevrolet Motor Home Chassis VIN are 1GB.

The first three characters of a Workhorse Custom Chassis VIN are 5B4.

I suspect your 1996 was built by Chevrolet, but the VIN is definitive.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Workhorse DID NOT make the W series chassis in 1996 so what you have is a P-30 chassis. Why not get the part number off of your OLD AC condenser and just purchase the replacement condenser and not get too hung up about what chassis it is on. Any AC/radiator shop should be able to fabricate a new condenser for you.
I believe around that time most of the AC components came from a company called Evans-Tempcon. You might try this link for some help: Evans-Tempcon

Thank you for the response and the link. I always thought it was a P30 but this guy insisted that a condenser for the P30 would not work on my chassis. He also wanted 7-10,000 dollars to replace my leveling jack system.

Bobchambe
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
as I recall, workhouse for the first few years just rebranded the old p30/32. I would guess/bet that a 96 is on an old p30. I would "assume" that somebody here can identify if you give the entire chassis number.
bumpy

Do you mean the VIN #?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Workhorse DID NOT make the W series chassis in 1996 so what you have is a P-30 chassis. Why not get the part number off of your OLD AC condenser and just purchase the replacement condenser and not get too hung up about what chassis it is on. Any AC/radiator shop should be able to fabricate a new condenser for you.
I believe around that time most of the AC components came from a company called Evans-Tempcon. You might try this link for some help: Evans-Tempcon

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
as I recall, workhouse for the first few years just rebranded the old p30/32. I would guess/bet that a 96 is on an old p30. I would "assume" that somebody here can identify if you give the entire chassis number.
bumpy