cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to take off!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're gettin' ready to blast off next week for a fun ride.
1. From California to Wells NV, take left and up to the top of Montana
2. Then a right and all the way across top of Montana and South Dakota and Wisconsin to Michigan and down to Ypsilanti.
3. Ypsilante to St. Louis.
4. St. Louis to Oklahoma City.
5. Oklahoma City back to California.
Almost three weeks............

Can't wait!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
11 REPLIES 11

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are 4100 miles into our trip and have had no issues. Having a great time. Hwy 2 in Montana is amazing.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well good luck and be safe. You will be traveling through some very pretty country.

I agree, sometime tight schedules cannot be avoided. Fortunately, you have past tow experience to go on.

Our preference is State Parks, usually electric only but we have stop to discover no hook-ups in both MI and WI.

Let us know how the trip went.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbpru wrote:
When we "destination travel" our family are road warriors. We have driven a two car caravans 12 to 15 hours, switching drivers when sleepy; usually to northern MN to canoe.

But TT travel is different, slower, more frequent gas stops, wind buffets, and truck lane traffic.

I have pushed in excess of 500 mile a day to get home but then there was no concern about finding a place to camp or arriving late.

You will figure it out soon enough but remember to be flexible and RVing is not a race.

Well, I've been RVing since 1973 with my folks, and RVing myself since 1978. It's a matter of having a certain amount time and a number of stops that need to be made. 2-1/2 years from now I retire and things are gonna get a lot more casual for sure!
V-465

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When we "destination travel" our family are road warriors. We have driven a two car caravans 12 to 15 hours, switching drivers when sleepy; usually to northern MN to canoe.

But TT travel is different, slower, more frequent gas stops, wind buffets, and truck lane traffic.

I have pushed in excess of 500 mile a day to get home but then there was no concern about finding a place to camp or arriving late.

You will figure it out soon enough but remember to be flexible and RVing is not a race.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
LVJJJ wrote:
Gotta make time!!!,, no potty stops mom. Roadside attractions, forget it!! Catch 'em on the way back, maybe. Be ready to take your pictures out the window. Wish I didn't have to sleep eat potty or get gas, then I would never have to stop. Actually love that kind of traveling, that's the way my dad did it back in the '50's in our 1949 Plymouth then in our 1953 Dodge Red Ram Hemi (yes Dodge had a Hemi in '53). Can't let that ugly green Ford pass us again.

Have fun, envy you greatly.

Well, we've done plenty of that! This is actually a pretty casual trip compared to the last couple we took We did some "10hrs worth of miles", which equates to about 12-13 hrs on the clock. This trip is only 7-8hr drive miles so it'll be like 10hr days with potty stops. Not bad. Looking for a good trip.
V-465

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta make time!!!,, no potty stops mom. Roadside attractions, forget it!! Catch 'em on the way back, maybe. Be ready to take your pictures out the window. Wish I didn't have to sleep eat potty or get gas, then I would never have to stop. Actually love that kind of traveling, that's the way my dad did it back in the '50's in our 1949 Plymouth then in our 1953 Dodge Red Ram Hemi (yes Dodge had a Hemi in '53). Can't let that ugly green Ford pass us again.

Have fun, envy you greatly.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, this is more of the a "three destination" journey rather than checking things out on the trip. I'm super looking forward to being able to take my time as I travel when I retire. This isn't that trip, but we will have a great time seeing Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota and the upper part of Michigan.
V-465

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun!
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It sound like one of our trips but we usually only travel about 250 to 300 miles a day.

At an averages speed of 50 mph that is 5 to 6 hours behind the wheel. Of course we never pass up a tourist trap or other road side attraction, which adds to our daily travel time. A stop at Zion, Bryce Canyon, Custer State Park, Mt. Rushmore, Pictured Rocks, the Arch and a host of great Western museums can easily require a half day or more each to visit.

At 60 mph we get 10 mpg with no wind but our adventures often take us far from the Interstates.

So, good luck and let us know how your trip went.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me like you enjoy driving. not me I like to kick back and enjoy the view

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Have a good adventure....lots to do and see along your planned route...
You are brave. That's more than we would tackle in 3 weeks.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro